Gervonta “Tank” Davis once again found himself in legal trouble just two weeks before his November 14 exhibition fight against Jake Paul.
A novel civil lawsuit filed in Miami-Dade County has landed the WBA lightweight champion in heated water over another alleged domestic incident. According to the lawsuit obtained by ESPN, Davis is accused by ex-girlfriend Courtney Rossel of battery, aggravated battery, false imprisonment, kidnapping and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
This lawsuit comes two months after Davis’ previous domestic violence case was dismissed by another ex-girlfriend and the mother of two of the boxer’s three children.
ESPN also confirmed to one of the woman’s lawyers, Jeffery Chukwuma, that a report was filed with the Miami Gardens Police Department on Tuesday. Messages left with the department were not immediately returned to ESPN.
According to the complaint, Davis allegedly barged into Tootsies, a Miami men’s club where Rossel worked as a cocktail waiter, in the early morning hours Monday and attacked her in the club’s VIP lounge. She says Davis dragged her through the stairwell, kitchen and back door before physically attacking her in the parking lot.
Rossel said she had been in a relationship with Davis for five months before the incident and cited numerous incidents of domestic violence, abuse and threats from the combatant regarding her safety and well-being. Rossel claimed in the lawsuit that there were “at least” four prior incidents during which Davis “physically attacked and choked her.” She says Davis threatened to kill her twice.
The first incident occurred on September 2, when Davis allegedly threatened to kill Rossel for not returning his calls and text messages. The second incident occurred on September 23, when she says Davis accused her of infidelity and texted her, “I’m going to kill you.” Later that day, Davis allegedly physically attacked Rossel, choking her in public at Playa Miami, a restaurant in the Lincoln Road shopping district.
The lawsuit says Davis sent Rossel a text message after this week’s incident in which she wrote, “I’m on my way! To your house,” which Rossel interpreted as the boxer going to her house to continue the assault.
The lawsuit states that Rossel currently suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and extreme fear, while claiming that she lives with others because she no longer feels sheltered on her own and is actively seeking therapeutic treatment to address the solemn emotional and physical harm inflicted by Davis.
The lawyers are seeking compensatory and punitive damages and a motion for a jury trial.
Davis has had numerous run-ins with the law over the years, including charges related to domestic violence and leaving the scene of a car accident. Several of his cases were dismissed, but he was sentenced to 90 days of house arrest and three years probation for a 2023 hit-and-run case in Baltimore.
ESPN has reached out to Davis’ representatives, who have not yet responded. ESPN also reached out to representatives of Jake Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions to see if this lawsuit would have an impact on the status of the Paul-Davis fight, which took place on November 14 at the Kaseya Center in Miami. Most Valuable Promotions did not respond to a request for comment.