Connect with us

Boxing

Skip Matias and Russell in favor of Haney-Norman

Published

on

Image: Hitchins’ Shortcut to Glory: No Matias, No Russell — Just Haney or Norman Jr. for the Belt

Richardson Hitchins reiterated today that he is willing to move up to 147 pounds to fight the winner of the November 22 fight between WBO welterweight champion Brian Norman Jr. and Devin Haney.

The simplest possible route

Brooklyn-based Hitchins (20-0, 8 KO) wants a title shot in his first fight at 147, rather than winning it by fighting top contenders waiting for the WBO rankings. It’s the other way around attempts to win the title, but it may not work out given that Hitchins is not popular with casual fans. It’s a formula. Defeat a supple opponent, then call upon warriors who are above your pay grade and have earned their way.

No Matias and no Russell

Richardson shows no desire to fight top contenders or champions at 140 to gain popularity. Instead of Richardson fighting top 140-pounders like Gary Antuanne Russell and Subriel Matias, he’s content to fight George Kambosos Jr.

I can promise it will be a solid opponent, but me I can’t promise you I won’t make it look like a cupcake. Richardson Hitchins said Ring Magazine about his next fight. “After the win over Kambosos, I called up players like Devin Haney. I called up Teofimo Lopez.”

The only two notable contenders in the top 15 of the IBF rankings are Jamaine Ortiz and Ernesto Mercado. It is highly unlikely that Hitchins will fight either of these two as they would have an excellent chance of making him a cupcake.

Hitchins’ manager Keith Connolly is unlikely to choose Jamaine or Tito Mercado as his next opponent, as they could take away his bargaining chip by dethroning him as the IBF 140-pound champion. We saw how much trouble Hitchins had against Gustavo Lemos on April 6, 2024, winning a questionable 12-round unanimous decision.

Many boxing fans believed that Lemos deserved to win this fight. To say Hitchins has been exposed is an understatement. The judges gave him the decision on scores of 117-111, 115-113 and 115-113. He didn’t look like a winner. The fight showed that Hitchins was susceptible to pressure. He’s so ugly Haney and Shakur style. The kryptonite of this style is pure pressure.

Title Ambition

“I’m willing to move up to 147 pounds and challenge some of the champions there,” Hitchins said. “At 140, do some unifications. It’s about getting the biggest fights for me. Now I’m the champion. I’m in great shape. It’s time for me to prove to the world who Richardson Hitchins is.”

If Hitchins wants to fight top fighters at 140 pounds, he should start doing so because top belt holders have repeatedly called him out, refusing to agree to fight any of them. These warriors called upon Hitchins:

  • Gary Antuanne Russell
  • Subriel Matias
  • Albert Puello
  • Keyshawn Davis
  • Ernesto Mercado

“For my first fight, I’m willing to go down to 147 pounds and challenge the winner Devin Haney and Brian Norman for the WBO world championship. After the great win over Kambosos, I felt it was only fair to say I was a free agent and see what the best offers were for me,” Hitchins said.

What Hitchins should do if he wants to fight for the world welterweight title is to first relinquish his IBF 140-pound title. Then level up and fight your way through these challengers for a chance at the title:

  • Shakhram Giasov
  • Karen Chukhadjian
  • Eimantas Stanionis
  • Raul Curiel

A fan base that doesn’t exist

Earlier this week, Teofimo Lopez rejected the idea of ​​fighting Hitchins, claiming that television networks and promoters were not willing to pay him the money he was asking for due to a lack of fans. Lopez says to 10-8 Podcast that Hitchins wants “X amount of money that the promoters at the networks are not willing to give him yet because he needs to build a fan base around himself.”

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/787807

Last update: 10/30/2025

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Canelo Alvarez makes his feelings clear after Verhoeven’s controversial 11th round stoppage against Usyk

Published

on

Canelo Alvarez makes feelings clear on controversial Verhoeven stoppage against Usyk in 11th round

Canelo Alvarez commented on the controversial break between Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven.

The boxing world was buzzing with their reaction Usyk successfully defended his heavyweight crown against Verhoeven at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt.

However, for a long time it seemed that this would not be an effective defense, and the final came in the 11th round when referee Mark Lyson stopped the fight, which many viewers prematurely believed.

Verhoeven performed well above expectations, causing Usyk numerous problems throughout the fight, but although he recovered from the knockdown, the kickboxing star was stopped on his feet and denied the chance to advance to the 12th round.

Tony Bellew believes Verhoeven should be given a chance to continue his career, but Mexican superstar Canelo does not share the same view.

I talk to professional boxing fansCanelo revealed that he agreed with the judge’s decision.

“It was a good fight, I don’t think so [that it was was an early stoppage]I think they saved a brutal knockout.”

Usyk is expected to take some time before deciding on his next move, with some fans calling for an immediate rematch with Verhoeven while others want him to face mandatory WBC title challenger Agit Kabayel now.

As for Canelo, he will return to action in September and will look to reclaim his world titles when he fights WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli in Riyad, Saudi Arabia.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Prince Naseem Hamed’s biopic “Giant” hits the United States on May 22

Published

on

a biopic chronicling the career of former featherweight champion Prince Naseem Hamed will be released in select U.S. theaters and on VOD on May 22. The film stars Amir El-Masry as Hamed and Pierce Brosnan as his longtime trainer Brendan Ingle, with Sylvester Stallone among the executive producers.

Directed and written by Rowan Athale, it premiered at the BFI London Film Festival in October 2025 and was released in the UK and Ireland on January 9, 2026, before arriving in the Middle East via the Red Sea Film Festival. Vertical holds U.S. distribution rights, and the film was financed by AGC Studios and BondIt Media Capital.

What the movie covers

The plot follows Hamed’s rise from Sheffield, England, to a world title under Ingle, an Irish-born steelworker who ran a boxing gym in a church hall. According to the official description, the film also addresses the racism and Islamophobia that Hamed faced in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s, and also focuses on his relationship with Ingle, who died in 2018.

Collider published an exclusive clip from the film on May 21 featuring Hamed’s 1994 fight against Vincenzo Belcastro. In this fight, Hamed won the European bantamweight title in 12 rounds, which was only his 12th professional contest, which was the beginning of his later career.

The warrior behind the film

Hamed, a southpaw of Yemeni heritage, finished his professional career with a 36-1 record and 31 knockouts while holding featherweight titles in multiple sanctioning bodies throughout the 1990s. Now 51, he was known for his unconventional style, pre-fight showmanship and ring walks that often ended with a fall over the top rope. In 2015, he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Following Ingle’s death, Hamed directly attributed his success to his coach Ring that without him he wouldn’t have achieved what he did in sports.

The supporting cast included Toby Stephens as promoter Frank Warren and Katherine Dow Blyton as Alma Ingle. The film lasts 110 minutes.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rico Verhoeven reacts to the loss of Oleksandr Usyk

Published

on

Image: Rico Verhoeven Reacts To Usyk Loss: “I’m Here To Stay”

Rico Verhoeven insists he has proven he belongs in boxing despite an 11th-round loss to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday night in Egypt.

The former kickboxing champion pushed Usyk much harder than many expected before the referee stepped in tardy in the fight. At the time of the stoppage, two judges had the fight even at 95-95, with the third having Verhoeven ahead 96-94.


“Yeah, it sucks. I felt like I was so close to shocking the world,” Rico Verhoeven told DAZN Boxing after the fight.

“I want to stay here. I think I showed the world that I can definitely box. Even as a kickboxer they told me, ‘Who is this guy? He can’t do anything. It’ll be four or five rounds,’ but I think after four or five rounds we were pretty even in terms of results.”

“So I think it was a crazy, crazy performance. I felt like I was so close to winning, but it is what it is.”

Verhoeven entered the fight as the main underdog against the undefeated unified heavyweight champion, but his physical pressure, size and willingness to trade caused Usyk to struggle during several early and middle rounds.

The performance immediately changed the discussion about Verhoeven’s future in boxing.

Rather than treat the fight as a one-off, the Dutch heavyweight later made it clear that he planned to continue boxing despite the defeat. His comments also reflected the fierceness of the fight before Usyk finally took control in the championship rounds and forced a stoppage.

For much of the fight, Verhoeven looked much more comfortable than many expected against one of boxing’s greatest champions.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Aleksander Usyk

Last updated: 23/05/2026 at 20:20

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending