Boxing
David Morrell stops waiting and returns to fight on May 9
Published
3 weeks agoon
Last July, Morrell was scheduled to face Smith for the WBO interim lightweight heavyweight title. Since then, the fight has dragged on through lengthy negotiations, a delayed announcement and then a cancellation when Smith pulled out of the scheduled April 18 fight due to injury. No replacement date confirmed.
This is a classic move to save your career by David Morrell. While the path to the WBO interim title with Callum Smith looked good on paper, the reality, with drawn-out negotiations, Smith’s injury-forced withdrawal from the April 18 event and zero clarity about a reschedule, quickly became a trap.
For a 28-year-old Morrell player who should be successful, waiting forever is a form of professional suicide. He is coming off a win over Imam Khataev and should be aiming for significant fights at 175 pounds. Instead, almost a year passed with no real progress. Mandatory positions can support a challenger, but they can also stall a career when the other side can’t move.
Chelli provides Morrell with rounds, classes and a paycheck, but it’s not a destination. This is a sign that Smith’s route has become unreliable.
Smith may still return this year and the WBO may still maintain order, but Morrell cannot spend his prime months on paperwork and recovery schedules that are not his own. Players lose more than dates when they remain idle. In a crowded division, they lose visibility, timing and position.
May 9 isn’t so much about Zak Chelli as it is about Morrell refusing to let 2026 slip away while others were deciding his next move.
You may like
Boxing
Ryan Garcia names Conor Benn as his next Kick Stream opponent
Published
26 minutes agoon
May 17, 2026
WBC welterweight champion Ryan Garcia used Kick’s live feed to identify Conor Benn as his next opponent, informing viewers that the fight was headed to Las Vegas. Garcia shared his comments while streaming with rapper 6ix9ine, and the clip spread widely on social media over the next few hours.
“It will be in August,” Garcia said during the broadcast, per Yahoo Sports. “We’ll have it in Vegas. His name is Conor Benn, from the UK. We’ll swallow it. Conor’s about to get kicked out.”
Ryan Garcia vs. Conor Benn September 12 according to Ryan Garcia 👇🏽 pic.twitter.com/y9tcnWyZPZ
— Vinny’s Corner (@VinnysCorner1) May 17, 2026
Garcia’s broadcast announcement initially pointed to an August date in Las Vegas. Promoter Eddie Hearn has since indicated that a September 12 Netflix premiere for the series is under discussion if other dates are not set. “Netflix is only going to do a certain number of fights and the talk is that the Benn-Garcia fight will now take place on September 12 or whenever that happens,” Hearn said in comments reported by Boxing 247.
The date of September 12 would mean a collision with another party event on the same evening. Turki Alalshikh confirmed on Friday that Canelo Álvarez will face WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad.
Where the fight is
Garcia (27-1, 22 KO) holds the WBC welterweight title after winning a unanimous decision over Mario Barrios in February. Benn (25-1, 14 KO) is the mandatory challenger for the WBC 147-pound title and most recently defeated Regis Prograis by unanimous decision on April 11 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, fighting at the 150-pound catchweight in his Zuffa Boxing debut.
After his victory over Prograis, Benn made a direct call for a title fight. “Garcia, I want my belt. I want my belt. Keep my belt sultry. September, let’s go,” Benn said in the video reported by ESPN. On May 7, the Briton sent a second video message addressed to Garcia.
The fight faces promotional hurdles. Benn left Matchroom earlier this year to sign with Zuffa Boxing under Dana White. Garcia remains affiliated with Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya. How Social boxing As noted, friction between White and De La Hoya is well-established.
History of drug testing
Both players served suspensions due to unfavorable drug test results. Benn’s case was resolved in November 2024 when the UK National Anti-Doping Panel lifted his provisional suspension. Garcia served a one-year suspension after testing positive for ostarine in connection with his April 2024 fight with Devin Haney.
Which has been confirmed
Garcia’s comments on the stream do not constitute a signed contract, and no joint statement has been released by Golden Boy Promotions or Zuffa Boxing. The press conference, broadcast deal, location and terms of the deal have not yet been confirmed. Reports from Sky Sports and DAZN characterize negotiations as ongoing.
Boxing
Anthony Joshua Oleksandr Usyk 3 Talk defies boxing tradition
Published
2 hours agoon
May 17, 2026
Just a few years ago, opening the door to the third fight between Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk seemed unrealistic. Now it seems possible, even after two defeats and the friendship that has developed between the pair outside the ring.
That shift became more pronounced this week when promoter Eddie Hearn admitted Joshua would still “love” another chance to fight Usyk, despite losing twice to the Ukrainian southerner in 2021 and 2022. Historically, a heavyweight rivalry rarely continues after one fighter wins his first two fights cleanly. Boxing usually goes further. This situation seems to be heading in the opposite direction.
Joshua (29-4, 26 KO) has spent recent years rebuilding his career and public standing after successive defeats to Usyk. During this time, the relationship between the two heavyweights changed completely. They trained together, appeared publicly comfortable in each other’s company and shed the bitterness that often accompanies major heavyweight rivalries.
This, among other things, is what makes Hearn’s comments extraordinary.
“I don’t think so,” Hearn said this week when asked whether Joshua’s friendship with Usyk would stop another fight. “But boxing is a humorous venerable game. Part of AJ always wants to fight Usyk because he has been beaten twice. Same with Fury. They are competitors. They want to try to fight him again.”
The heavyweight division began to operate under different rules during the Saudi era. Awareness and commercial value now carry almost as much weight as unfinished competitive business. Tyson Fury is also openly seeking a third fight with Usyk, even though he has lost twice.
In previous eras, a fighter who lost two title fights in a row to the same opponent would usually end the chapter. Joshua-Usyk III would completely reverse this logic. Instead of competitive tension driving demand, it would be legacy and personal redemption.
Joshua still has something to work on before the discussion becomes stern. He returns in July against Kristian Prengi before an expected showdown with Fury later this year. Hearn made it clear that the immediate focus would be on these two fights.
“His ultimate goal is to win the heavyweight championship of the world again,” Hearn said. “I want to beat Tyson Fury and win the world heavyweight championship again.”
However, the idea is still hanging. Not long ago, the sight of Joshua running alongside Usyk on the beach would have seemed impossible. Now there’s a possibility that two fighters who became training partners after a one-sided rivalry will end up sharing the ring for a third time anyway.
Olly Campbell is a boxing journalist covering this sport since 2014, providing reports from the ring and technical analyzes of the most critical fights. His work focuses on fighter tendencies, tactical adjustments and the details that shape high-level competition.
Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter
Related boxing news:
Last updated: 17/05/2026 at 17:44
Boxing
David Benavidez Called for the Fight He Wants Most: ‘Someone Needs to Shut His Mouth’
Published
4 hours agoon
May 17, 2026
David Benavidez’s future may soon be decided after being called up for the fight he wants.
Earlier this month, Benavidez confirmed his status as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world when he successfully moved up to cruiserweight and stopped Gilberto Ramirez in six rounds win the WBA and WBO 200-pound titles.
Since that victory, a number of options have emerged for the “Mexican Monster,” including another cruiserweight clash with Jai Opetaia and even an ambitious move up to heavyweight to face unified champion Oleksandr Usyk.
The most likely scenario is a return to the 175-pound division, where he holds the WBC title, for an undisputed fight against WBA, WBO and IBF airy heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol, and Benavidez himself has stated that the Russian is number one on his hit list.
This fight can now become a reality, after the IBA fast revealed that Bivola’s coach Gennadi Mashyanov wants his player to face Benavidez to “shut his mouth.”
“My personal target right now is Benavidez – who, let’s say, talks a lot. We’ll see what he’s really capable of. I’d like him to stop talking. For that to happen, someone has to get in the ring with him and shut him up for good.”
Bivol returns to action tardy next week when he faces mandatory challenger Michael Eifert, and it appears that a victory in that match could now pave the way for an undisputed showdown with Benavidez.
Ryan Garcia names Conor Benn as his next Kick Stream opponent
Derek Chisora CONFRONTS Agit Kabayel – ‘CUT THE CAMERAS!!’
Anthony Joshua Oleksandr Usyk 3 Talk defies boxing tradition
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



