Boxing
“At 147 you’ll see if I can really punch.”
Published
7 months agoon
Devin Haney says his fight with WBO welterweight champion Brian Norman Jr. will show if he can “punch harder” in the full weight class at 147 pounds on November 22 at the ANB Arena in Riyad.
Haney (32-0, 16 KO) sounded confident during an interview this week when talking about how his fight with Norman Jr. (28-0, 22 KO) will allow him to prove the doubters wrong. They think he can’t punch and he can’t make a shot.
Haney doubters point out that Ryan Garcia and Jorge Linares have hurt him multiple times. 24-year-old Norman Jr. he is bigger and stronger than those players. He is also a deadly performer when hurting his opponent. So if Haney gets injured, he won’t be able to get out of trouble like he did against Ryan and Linares.
The question of power returns
“They say I can’t punch. Now, at 147, we’ll see. We’ll see if I can hit harder and take hits better,” Devin Haney said on Ariel Helwani’s channel YouTube. “That’s why this fight is so vital to me, because they say I can’t block a left hook.”
Six years without downtime
People say Haney can’t punch because the reality is he can’t. He has Rate 46.88% ORand hasn’t scored a knockout in six years, since he defeated Zaur Abdullaev in the fourth round of the event September 13, 2019. Since then, Haney hasn’t knocked out anyone in his last 10 fights. It’s quite a arid period. Surely if Devin had the power, he would have shown it over the last six years, right?
The weight Haney has put on this camp probably won’t give him enough power to be a knockout threat. Attempting to knock out Norman Jr. would be risky for Haney as he would have to stay still to sit on his punches. That’s a risky move against a knockout artist like Brian Jr.
If Haney beats his middleweight sparring partner, Troy Isley (15-0, 5 KO), during this camp, it doesn’t mean anything because he himself lacks power.
Why Haney’s style won’t save him
“We saw him take a guy down in Brian Norman’s last fight [Jin Sasaki] frigid left hook. They say I can’t take a punch. We have a guy who is powerful and can hit. From what they say, he’s my kind of kryptonite,” Devin said.
It’s not really about Norman Jr. was wrong about Haney’s fighting style. Rather, the point is that Norman Jr. is too powerful for him because his resistance to blows is not on par with someone at his power level.
There are certain fighters that a fighter with a frail jaw like Haney shouldn’t fight. Put Devin with a ponderous, elderly guy like Jose Ramirez or Regis Prograis and he’s in his element. But if you compare Haney to Ryan Garcia or Norman Jr., it falls apart. It will evaporate on impact. This is the reality.
“That’s why this fight is so vital to me, because I want to turn non-believers into believers and prove the doubters and non-believers wrong,” Haney said.
Can Haney handle the real power?
This fight will likely cement the fact that Devin doesn’t belong at 147 pounds and should stay away from anyone in power for the rest of his career. His father, Bill Haney, did a good job maneuvering him. However, in this case, he is the wrong type of player for Haney.
For Haney, after November 22, it doesn’t have to mean the end of the world. Bill just needs to refocus by staying away from these players:
- Ryan Garcia
- Rolando “Rolly” Romero
- Lewis Crocker
- Gary Antuanne Russell
- Teofimo Lopez
- Ernesto Mercado
- Keyshawn Davis
- Liam Paro
- Subriel Matias
- Shakhram Giasov
Tom Galm: Reality awaits in Riyad
On November 22, he will reveal what awaits Devin’s survival in the treacherous waters at the age of 147, as he must face the many shark-like predators that will hunt him. Norman Jr. again. is just one of many ponderous hitters in the welterweight division.
His destruction of weight will be a clear sign that Devin needs to return to his original weight of 140, and possibly even 135. It would make no sense to remain at 147 if he was massacred by Norman Jr., as many boxing fans predict.
Tom Galm has been lively on the global boxing scene since 2014, specializing in heavyweight analysis, business trends and fighter psychology.
Last update: 10/30/2025
You may like
Boxing
Canelo Alvarez makes his feelings clear after Verhoeven’s controversial 11th round stoppage against Usyk
Published
36 minutes agoon
May 24, 2026
Canelo Alvarez commented on the controversial break between Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven.
The boxing world was buzzing with their reaction Usyk successfully defended his heavyweight crown against Verhoeven at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt.
However, for a long time it seemed that this would not be an effective defense, and the final came in the 11th round when referee Mark Lyson stopped the fight, which many viewers prematurely believed.
Verhoeven performed well above expectations, causing Usyk numerous problems throughout the fight, but although he recovered from the knockdown, the kickboxing star was stopped on his feet and denied the chance to advance to the 12th round.
Tony Bellew believes Verhoeven should be given a chance to continue his career, but Mexican superstar Canelo does not share the same view.
I talk to professional boxing fansCanelo revealed that he agreed with the judge’s decision.
“It was a good fight, I don’t think so [that it was was an early stoppage]I think they saved a brutal knockout.”
Usyk is expected to take some time before deciding on his next move, with some fans calling for an immediate rematch with Verhoeven while others want him to face mandatory WBC title challenger Agit Kabayel now.
As for Canelo, he will return to action in September and will look to reclaim his world titles when he fights WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli in Riyad, Saudi Arabia.
Boxing
Prince Naseem Hamed’s biopic “Giant” hits the United States on May 22
Published
3 hours agoon
May 23, 2026
a biopic chronicling the career of former featherweight champion Prince Naseem Hamed will be released in select U.S. theaters and on VOD on May 22. The film stars Amir El-Masry as Hamed and Pierce Brosnan as his longtime trainer Brendan Ingle, with Sylvester Stallone among the executive producers.
Directed and written by Rowan Athale, it premiered at the BFI London Film Festival in October 2025 and was released in the UK and Ireland on January 9, 2026, before arriving in the Middle East via the Red Sea Film Festival. Vertical holds U.S. distribution rights, and the film was financed by AGC Studios and BondIt Media Capital.
What the movie covers
The plot follows Hamed’s rise from Sheffield, England, to a world title under Ingle, an Irish-born steelworker who ran a boxing gym in a church hall. According to the official description, the film also addresses the racism and Islamophobia that Hamed faced in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s, and also focuses on his relationship with Ingle, who died in 2018.
Collider published an exclusive clip from the film on May 21 featuring Hamed’s 1994 fight against Vincenzo Belcastro. In this fight, Hamed won the European bantamweight title in 12 rounds, which was only his 12th professional contest, which was the beginning of his later career.
The warrior behind the film
Hamed, a southpaw of Yemeni heritage, finished his professional career with a 36-1 record and 31 knockouts while holding featherweight titles in multiple sanctioning bodies throughout the 1990s. Now 51, he was known for his unconventional style, pre-fight showmanship and ring walks that often ended with a fall over the top rope. In 2015, he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
Following Ingle’s death, Hamed directly attributed his success to his coach Ring that without him he wouldn’t have achieved what he did in sports.
The supporting cast included Toby Stephens as promoter Frank Warren and Katherine Dow Blyton as Alma Ingle. The film lasts 110 minutes.
Rico Verhoeven insists he has proven he belongs in boxing despite an 11th-round loss to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday night in Egypt.
The former kickboxing champion pushed Usyk much harder than many expected before the referee stepped in tardy in the fight. At the time of the stoppage, two judges had the fight even at 95-95, with the third having Verhoeven ahead 96-94.
“Yeah, it sucks. I felt like I was so close to shocking the world,” Rico Verhoeven told DAZN Boxing after the fight.
“I want to stay here. I think I showed the world that I can definitely box. Even as a kickboxer they told me, ‘Who is this guy? He can’t do anything. It’ll be four or five rounds,’ but I think after four or five rounds we were pretty even in terms of results.”
“So I think it was a crazy, crazy performance. I felt like I was so close to winning, but it is what it is.”
Verhoeven entered the fight as the main underdog against the undefeated unified heavyweight champion, but his physical pressure, size and willingness to trade caused Usyk to struggle during several early and middle rounds.
The performance immediately changed the discussion about Verhoeven’s future in boxing.
Rather than treat the fight as a one-off, the Dutch heavyweight later made it clear that he planned to continue boxing despite the defeat. His comments also reflected the fierceness of the fight before Usyk finally took control in the championship rounds and forced a stoppage.
For much of the fight, Verhoeven looked much more comfortable than many expected against one of boxing’s greatest champions.
A painful loss for Rico 😢#UsykRico pic.twitter.com/oNuZfUTB96
— DAZN Boxing (@DAZNBoxing) May 23, 2026
Tomek Galm is a boxing journalist covering the global fight landscape since 2014, specializing in heavyweight analysis, industry trends and fighter psychology.
Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter
Related boxing news:
Last updated: 23/05/2026 at 20:20
Canelo Alvarez makes his feelings clear after Verhoeven’s controversial 11th round stoppage against Usyk
Prince Naseem Hamed’s biopic “Giant” hits the United States on May 22
Oleksandr Usyk vs Rico Verhoeven – results and report after the fight
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



