Connect with us

MMA

Israel Adesanya announces departure from City Kickboxing

Published

on

Israel Adesanya announces departure from City Kickboxing
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight
king Israel
Adesanya is going in a new direction.

Posting a video on his personal YouTube channel on Thursday titled
“I'm Leaving
CKB,†Adesanya explained that he was doing just that: departing
the confines of Auckland, New Zealand-based camp City Kickboxing.
The 36-year-old ex-kickboxer has fallen on hard times as of late,
dropping four straight, although two of his last four outings were
for his old middleweight title.

The split came effective May 20, per “The Last Stylebender,†who
does so a little under two months after losing to Joe Pyfer by
knockout in the UFC Seattle headliner. Per the fighter, he needed a
fresh start, and most importantly, personalized training instead of
being in a room full of top-ranked athletes who all vie for
attention from the coaches. Adesanya claimed it had been brewing
for a while, and that he still mourns the absence of the team as a
main part of his life.

I am not coming back to City Kickboxing

Adesanya stated, “So [Wednesday, May 20], I spoke to [head coach]
Eugene [Bareman] face-to-face, and I told him I am not coming back
to CKB,†Adesanya opened with in his video. “This was something a
long time coming behind the scenes, and we have an understanding. I
won't lie; it sucks.â€

He continued, “Grief comes in waves for me. For most people, I've
grieved before, so this, it comes in waves. I've had great days,
but also there's days where I'm like [exasperated sigh]. And it's a
long time coming, I just want to get it out [of] the way because I
want you to hear from the horse's mouth because no one else has
spoken about it. I guess those who know are waiting for the ball to
drop, so [motions a ball dropping] I dropped the ball.â€

The former champion was simultaneously gracious for those that
helped him grow over the years and crestfallen that it was the end
of an era.

“It's bittersweet,†he admitted, “but it's the right thing for me.
Especially where I am at in my career, it's exactly what I needed.
Insanity is doing the same s–t and expecting different results,
so…I think that's it, I just don't want to talk about it. It's
something like I said that sucks, I want to grieve in peace.â€

Having a bit more to get out after all, the Nigerian-born athlete
carried on, saying, “[If] people want to bring it up, that's cool,
don't ask me about it…2009 is when I first went to CKB, 2010 is
when I moved over, and I established myself in Auckland to train at
CKB. CKB made me into the fighter that I am today. They've trained
a lot of great fighters. Greats, even better than myself, but me as
an individual, CKB made me into the fighter that I am today. But
also, I was one of the main pillars who put CKB on the map on the
world stage. To take it to the next level, where people from all
over the world want to come train at CKB, and I'm proud of
that.â€

The former Glory kickboxing title challenger thanked a number of
people who helped him over the years, not limited to coach Bareman
and fellow fighters Cameron
Rowston, Brogan
Anderson and kickboxer Doug Viney.
Above all, he knows exactly what he needs in his next camp, and
that is the personal attention of a coach who can help straighten
out any issues that come up as they happen.

“What I need for myself is [holds hands pensively] focused,
individual training. So, I've made the decision to leave CKB for my
own reasons, and yeah. I'll leave it at that,†Adesanya
concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Dana White rewards Roman Puga, Taner Trembley following DWCS war

Published

on

Dana White rewards Roman Puga, Taner Trembley following DWCS war

Week 2 of
Dana White's Contender Series 2026 kicked off with an absolute
banger.

Roman
Puga took on Taner
Trembley in a featherweight matchup in Week 2 of DWCS 2026.
While Puga scored an early knockdown, Trembley survived and rocked
him at the end of round 1. Both fighters threw the kitchen sink at
each other, visibly rocking and hurting one another multiple
times.

Roman Puga beats Taner Trembley in wild DWCS 2026 Week 2
fight

The fight somehow went the distance, with Puga earning a unanimous
decision win.
Ultimate Fighting Championship CEO Dana
White was evidently impressed, as he stood up after each round
and went inside the Octagon to congratulate both fighters after the
fight ended.

Puga admits that while he was hunting for a finish, Taner earned
his respect with his grit. While the former came seeking an early
knockout, he was also ready for a 15-minute war if that didn't
materialize.

“I feel overwhelmed; grateful,†Puga said in his post-fight
interview. “I was hoping to put him out, but Taner is a dog. Great
fighter. Really earned my respect… Absolutely [I was surprised]. I
was hitting hard and I felt like it was doing some wear and tear on
him. But nonetheless, I told myself I can go for it in the first
round and knock him out. But if not, be ready for a war. And that's
what you guys saw tonight; I was ready for a war. I wanted that
knockout, but I showcased I'm that dog and I got it.â€

Both fighters ultimately won contracts.

Continue Reading

MMA

Jon Jones roasts Daniel Cormier's 'deep jealousy' after picking Khabib Nurmagomedov as UFC GOAT

Published

on

Jon Jones roasts Daniel Cormier's 'deep jealousy' after picking Khabib Nurmagomedov as UFC GOAT

Jon Jones plans to ‘pray' for Daniel Cormier after the UFC legend's recent GOAT take on longtime teammate Khabib Nurmagomedov.

UFC legends Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier will likely never improve, despite being years removed from their two fights inside the Octagon. Their historic rivalry reignited after Jones and Cormier spent time coaching against each other on a Russian spinoff of The Ultimate Fighter, via ALF Global.

The two former rivals recently traded barbs after Jones claimed that Cormier told him that their feud was ‘worth too much money to end'. Cormier vehemently denied the allegations in a lengthy YouTube upload.

But it's Cormier's latest comments, crowning Khabib Nurmagomedov as the UFC's greatest fighter, that have refueled the fire behind the Jones-Cormier rivalry.

Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier trade barbs over Khabib Nurmagomedov GOAT take

In a recent interview on behalf of ALF Global, Cormier raised eyebrows when asked about putting Nurmagomedov over Jones as the UFC GOAT.

“Jon Jones, for as good as he is, has one loss. Why? Because he made a mistake,†Cormier said of Jones.

“Khabib dominated and never made a mistake. Never got himself disqualified…never made mistakes. I don't know why more people share this opinion.â€

In a recent Instagram comment, Jones responded to Cormier's recent interview.

“I started in the UFC so early that I didn't even know what the rules were. The night I fought Matt was the first night I had ever even heard the term “12-to-6.†Literally, my entire career has been in the main event, fighting for a world title,†Jones responded to Cormier.

“My brother, Daniel Cormier, your jealousy runs so deep through your blood. I honestly pray that the good Lord heals you from your envy and that, one day, you won't feel the need to do interviews like this. Until then, it's flattering to see the passion you have when it comes to me.â€

Nurmagomedov and Cormier entered the UFC Hall of Fame in 2022 in the same induction class. Meanwhile, Jones is expected to join them in the coming years, after retiring from Mixed Martial Arts in 2025.

Is Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier the greatest rivalry in UFC history? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Continue Reading

MMA

Josh Hokit hits back at Glover Teixeira's call for Alex Pereira fight: 'Pure violence'

Published

on

Josh Hokit hits back at Glover Teixeira's call for Alex Pereira fight: 'Pure violence'

A matchup between star heavyweights Josh Hokit and Alex Pereira might be the fight to make, according to Pereira's coach Glover Teixeira.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Alex Pereira's heavyweight debut ended in disaster as he lost to Ciryl Gane in the UFC Freedom 250 co-main event earlier this summer. After a back-and-forth opening round, Gane defeated Pereira by second-round TKO, albeit not without some controversy.

Despite initially hinting at retirement due to his opposition to referee Herb Dean, Pereira aims to return to the heavyweight division for another title chase. A potential opponent is Josh Hokit, who earned a stoppage win over Derrick Lewis earlier on the UFC Freedom 250 card.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Glover Teixeira, Pereira's longtime mentor and coach, believes there's one fight that makes the most sense for the UFC superstar's next assignment.

Josh Hokit gives caveat for accepting potential Alex Pereira heavyweight fight

In a recent interview on The Ariel Helwani Show, Teixeira was asked about Pereira's next move and didn't hesitate to call out Hokit.

“I know for sure he's going to get that belt, so he's going to stay at heavyweight,†Teixeira said of Pereira's plans.

“Hokit is talking a lot of s—, let's go over there and knock his a– out and get back to the top. And then get the rematch.â€

In a recent tweet, Hokit responded to Teixeira's endorsement of a showdown with Pereira.

“Either give me Ciryl for the title or Alex for the BMF,†Hokit posted.

“Tired of watching these little crotch sniffers lay & pray & people call them the BMF/P4P. You can't have those titles & just hold guys down without doing damage. Whoever I fight, the fans will get pure violence with a show.â€

What's your prediction for a potential Alex Pereira vs. Josh Hokit fight? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending