Connect with us

Boxing

Hitchins promises a “different mode,” but fans want proof

Published

on

Image: Richardson Hitchins Promises a “Different Type of Mode” for His Next Fight — But Fans Want to See Him Prove It Against Real Competition

Richardson Hitchins says he will be in a “different mode” for his next fight. IBF welterweight champion Hitchins (20-0, 8 KO) has not yet announced who he will fight next.

Eight years without A-level wins

People are hoping Hitchins will show some ambition by fighting 140-pound champions and top fighters he has avoided. So far in his eight-year professional career, Hitchins has yet to fight a Grade A fighter.

His last fight was against the faded George Kambosos Jr. He considered June 14, 2025 a step forward. Fans didn’t feel like that was the case. Rather, these were the same fights Hitchins had throughout his career. He is still making a substantial splash after his victory over Kambosos, believing it helped him make a name for himself.

Showing a “different kind of mode” against someone like Gary Antuanne Russell, Subriel Matias and Keyshawn Davis would show fans that Hitchins is real. Fans believe that Hitchins wants nothing to do with any of them and just wants to make money off the players who have already made it.

Hitchins promises fresh equipment

Richardson stated last week that he is interested in moving up to 147 pounds to face the winner of the fight between Devin Haney and WBO 147-pound champion Brian Norman Jr. This doesn’t seem like a realistic option without Turki Alalshikh’s involvement.

Names that could test him

These fighters will not be interested in fighting an unpopular fighter like Hitchins unless it is profitable. Hitchins wouldn’t have been fired by these two if he had already stepped up to fight Russell, Keyshawn, Matias and Ernesto Mercado. The fact that it didn’t stop him. He’s 28, still newborn, but he should be further along in his career than he is.

Hitchins’ last six fights

  • George Kambosos Jr
  • Liam Paro
  • Gustavo Lemos
  • Józef Zepeda
  • Jan Bauza
  • Yomar Alamo

“I really want to be the best. I’m fresh off a win over George Kambosos. I’ve challenged guys like Devin Haney and Teofimo Lopez,” Hitchins said Ring Magazine. “Some players take risks, some don’t. Talented, but scary,” Hitchins said of Teofimo Lopez.

If Hitchins had moved up and fought top welterweight contenders like Shakhram Giyasov, Raul Curiel and Eimantas Stanionis, he would have had a better argument for why he deserved a 147-pound world title shot.

“I am open to working with Eddie [Hearn]. He’s one of the guys that gave me the opportunity to make a name for myself,” Hitchins said of working with Hearn and his Matchroom company for the past six fights from 2022.

Last update: 11/02/2025

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Prince Naseem Hamed’s biopic “Giant” hits the United States on May 22

Published

on

a biopic chronicling the career of former featherweight champion Prince Naseem Hamed will be released in select U.S. theaters and on VOD on May 22. The film stars Amir El-Masry as Hamed and Pierce Brosnan as his longtime trainer Brendan Ingle, with Sylvester Stallone among the executive producers.

Directed and written by Rowan Athale, it premiered at the BFI London Film Festival in October 2025 and was released in the UK and Ireland on January 9, 2026, before arriving in the Middle East via the Red Sea Film Festival. Vertical holds U.S. distribution rights, and the film was financed by AGC Studios and BondIt Media Capital.

What the movie covers

The plot follows Hamed’s rise from Sheffield, England, to a world title under Ingle, an Irish-born steelworker who ran a boxing gym in a church hall. According to the official description, the film also addresses the racism and Islamophobia that Hamed faced in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s, and also focuses on his relationship with Ingle, who died in 2018.

Collider published an exclusive clip from the film on May 21 featuring Hamed’s 1994 fight against Vincenzo Belcastro. In this fight, Hamed won the European bantamweight title in 12 rounds, which was only his 12th professional contest, which was the beginning of his later career.

The warrior behind the film

Hamed, a southpaw of Yemeni heritage, finished his professional career with a 36-1 record and 31 knockouts while holding featherweight titles in multiple sanctioning bodies throughout the 1990s. Now 51, he was known for his unconventional style, pre-fight showmanship and ring walks that often ended with a fall over the top rope. In 2015, he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Following Ingle’s death, Hamed directly attributed his success to his coach Ring that without him he wouldn’t have achieved what he did in sports.

The supporting cast included Toby Stephens as promoter Frank Warren and Katherine Dow Blyton as Alma Ingle. The film lasts 110 minutes.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rico Verhoeven reacts to the loss of Oleksandr Usyk

Published

on

Image: Rico Verhoeven Reacts To Usyk Loss: “I’m Here To Stay”

Rico Verhoeven insists he has proven he belongs in boxing despite an 11th-round loss to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday night in Egypt.

The former kickboxing champion pushed Usyk much harder than many expected before the referee stepped in tardy in the fight. At the time of the stoppage, two judges had the fight even at 95-95, with the third having Verhoeven ahead 96-94.


“Yeah, it sucks. I felt like I was so close to shocking the world,” Rico Verhoeven told DAZN Boxing after the fight.

“I want to stay here. I think I showed the world that I can definitely box. Even as a kickboxer they told me, ‘Who is this guy? He can’t do anything. It’ll be four or five rounds,’ but I think after four or five rounds we were pretty even in terms of results.”

“So I think it was a crazy, crazy performance. I felt like I was so close to winning, but it is what it is.”

Verhoeven entered the fight as the main underdog against the undefeated unified heavyweight champion, but his physical pressure, size and willingness to trade caused Usyk to struggle during several early and middle rounds.

The performance immediately changed the discussion about Verhoeven’s future in boxing.

Rather than treat the fight as a one-off, the Dutch heavyweight later made it clear that he planned to continue boxing despite the defeat. His comments also reflected the fierceness of the fight before Usyk finally took control in the championship rounds and forced a stoppage.

For much of the fight, Verhoeven looked much more comfortable than many expected against one of boxing’s greatest champions.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Aleksander Usyk

Last updated: 23/05/2026 at 20:20

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rico Verhoeven speaks out about the referee stopping Usyk’s fight one second before the end of the round

Published

on

Rico Verhoeven speaks out on referee stopping Usyk fight with one second left in the round

Rico Verhoeven commented on the controversial break in the match after the defeat to Oleksandr Usyk.

Verhoeven challenged heavyweight king Usyk at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt, and despite most expecting a huge mismatch before the fight, the Dutchman came within a whisker of arguably the biggest upset in boxing history.

The kickboxing legend did enough to win multiple rounds heading into the final stages, with the underdog Usyk struggling to cope with his unconventional opponent.

Usyk finally found the shot he needed when he dropped his opponent at the end of the 11th round, and although Verhoeven managed to get up, the Ukrainian attacked again. led to referee Mark Lyson stopping the fight. Many fans – as well as Verhoevens’ team – were outraged by this decision.

After the fight, Verhoeven shared his thoughts on Lyson, who waved it off, saying he felt he deserved to fight longer.

“I thought it was an early break. It’s not up to me. I believe the referee knows we’re almost at the end of the round, whether he lets me go to the target or let the bell ring… it was close and I thought we were equal on the scorecards.”

Vehoeven was humble at the time when asked if he deserved a rematch.

“It’s not up to me, it’s up to the organization, let’s see what happens.”

It is unknown whether the second fight will actually take place, as the WBC has already ordered Usyk to face mandatory challenger Agit Kabayel next, under threat of being stripped of his belt.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending