Adrien Broner has sparked fresh concern after he shared a late-night post from a flight showing multiple drinks as questions continue to mount over his boxing future.
The former four-division world champion posted the clip with the caption, “I’m almost close to Denzel on this,” referring to the film – a comparison that raises its own questions.
The backlash was almost immediate, with comments ranging from mockery to concern as Broner’s latest appearance came days after a tumultuous run that had already cast doubt on his latest comeback attempt.
Some questioned whether the return rumors had died down, while others took a more direct assessment of the current state of affairs. A smaller number urged Broner to peaceful down, but the overall reaction pointed in one direction: uncertainty.
Same pattern, fresh moment
Fasting is not an isolated moment. It follows a pattern in which failures are quickly followed by promises of redemption.
This comes after a messy period in which Broner was already given a “last chance” opportunity to return to the game after admitting he had returned to street life and was asking for one last chance.
Since then, events have unfolded rapidly, from a 48-hour spiral that required intervention to prevent drinking and driving, to further fallout involving those around him. Each moment reinforced the same question: had anything actually changed?
Adrien Broner under pressure
Broner continues to beg, begging for another chance. The final comeback is already approaching the next evening’s moment, when the former champion reaches the age of 37 and is running out of time to make the same promises.
It seems that Don King has become another promoter who has failed to tame “The Problem” who is intent on chasing quick money while living the same lifestyle – it’s getting tiring to repeat it.
For a fighter once on the verge of becoming a superstar, the gap between promise and reality has never been greater.
What will happen next?
There are no longer concerns about whether Broner will be able to return to the ring.
It’s a question of whether he can stay on track long enough to get back on track.
The recording speaks for itself. The reaction was sobering. The question is now elementary – is it the same cycle again?
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Since 2010, he has been interviewing world champions, breaking down international titles exclusively and reporting from the ring. His work is distributed on major platforms including Apple News. Read the full biography.
Ahead of his return, Errol Spence Jr spoke more about his extended break from boxing and revealed whether a return to the sport was always a certainty.
Spence maintained his undefeated record at 27 fights, establishing himself as the welterweight standout by defeating Kell Brook to win the IBF world title, before unifying the WBC and WBA titles with wins over Shawn Porter and Yordenis Ugas, respectively.
‘The Truth’ has not fought since then, but his return to fight Australian Tim Tszyu has now been officially announced as the Long Island-born southpaw looks to prove he still has a lot to offer.
Although talking to Main eventSpence revealed that after the devastating loss to Crawford, he considered retiring, but now believes that the inactivity has been good for him.
“I’ve definitely thought about retiring, but I feel rejuvenated. This long break has definitely helped me physically, it’s definitely helped me mentally and I’m ready to show everyone what I’ve done.”I stayed because I’m sure there are many doubters.
“A lot of people will say ‘oh he’ll be a shell’ or ‘he can’t come back’ but they always say that, eye injury, they said the same thing, car accident, they said the same thing, they’ll keep saying the same thing and they’re just adding fuel to the fire.”
Tszyu-Spence will take place on July 25 in Australia.
Kelvin Davis responded angrily to criticism following his 10-round split decision victory over Peter Dobson on May 16 at Scope Arena in Norfolk, Virginia.
Many fans on social media questioned the performance after Kelvin spent much of the fight boxing carefully and tying up Dobson during exchanges. Some viewers also took issue with the scorecards after Dobson continued to press for action in the second half of the 10-round fight.
Stand N fought Woo N took my chin L onny they drugged me through the dirt moved N in the box Pete secured the dub and still shit to say I can’t please everyone so fuck you if you’re against TS everyone OPPS. I returned home to my family without blemishes, I fight for people who do not GAF for me
In the post, it appeared Davis was defending the change in style after earlier criticism that he was too willing to stand and trade previous fights. In the match against Dobson, Kelvin boxed more cautiously and focused on movement, but the performance was still met with hefty criticism from some Norfolk fans and online fans.
Several responses to the post criticized the fight as too cautious and lacking in action, even though Davis recorded a win on the scorecards. Other fans defended him, emphasizing that he still won against an experienced opponent.
The fight took place as part of Keyshawn Davis’ rematch victory over Nahir Albright at the Scope Arena, and the Davis brothers once again headlined a major boxing event in their hometown.
Minor league legend Nonito Donaire gave his take on a potential matchup between Naoya Inoue and Jesse Rodriguez, believing one man has the skills to win.
Earlier this month, Inoue successfully defended his undisputed super bantamweight crown for the seventh time, defeating three-time world champion Junto Nakatani by unanimous decision.
Their all-Japanese encounter was somewhat restrained until Nakatani picked up the pace between rounds eight and ten, when “The Monster” suddenly began to worry.
However, in response, Inoue managed to retain his four major titles and finish forceful in the competition, maintaining his status as a top star in the two-pound-for-pound division.
Apart from the 33-year-old, many consider Rodriguez to be one of the sport’s flagship operators, especially after his consecutive stoppages against Phumelela Cafu and Fernando Martinez.
These two victories unified the super flyweight division last year, but now “Bam” is fighting for a three-weight world title against Antonio Vargas.
The question should therefore be when, not if, the 26-year-old will collide with Inoue, who represents a naturally larger and more experienced player.
But despite these advantages, Donaire said Ring that he believes Rodriguez has the skills to beat Inoue, who outpaced and stopped the Filipino in 2019 and 2022, respectively.
“In terms of technical skills and the way Bam fights, he is definitely at the top and can beat Inoue.
“Bam has all the skills, but being a smaller guy is going to be a huge disadvantage to his style. The question is: Is Bam huge enough to apply his dominance and his style? Because if you’re a smaller guy, it’s very tough to do everything he does.
“But in terms of skill and ability, I think he will beat both Inoue and Nakatani if they mix them up. He has the ability to do that.”
According to Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn, preliminary talks about a fight between Inoue and “Bam” have already taken place and the pair are expected to perform at the Tokyo Dome early next year.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.