Boxing
William Zepeda: “Animal” activated for Shakur Stevenson WBC Lightweight Title Clash in Recent York July 12
Published
11 months agoon
William Zepeda says that he transforms into a “animal” when he is in the ring and plans to publish it when he challenges Shakur Stevenson for his lightweight WBC title within eight days of July 12 at Queens in Recent York. This is the biggest fight in his 10-year professional career Prof career Prof of the biggest fight against WBC 135-Funtowa, and plans to exploit the best.
Stevenson (23-0, 11 KO) lit a fight, informing boxing fans that it was only in the park to face Zeda (33-0, 27 KO). However, considering how much Shakur has talked about the desire to fight him over the past two years, it is clear that he considers it a risky fight for him. Shakur knows that there is no offensive talent that suits Zepeda.
Shakura glass hands
This part of Stevenson is missing, and his glass hands put him even more disadvantages. His path to victory is to exploit the amateur scoring method to win the decision, provided that the judges ignore higher products and more challenging strokes from Zepeda. If the judges won the fight as a professional competition, Stevenson will probably lose, because his shots will be much smaller than Zepeda in every round.
“This is something that people know me. I’m very placid. In the ring I turn into an animal,” said William Zepeda to Boxing DAZN About how he changes from a soft person outside the ring into a cruel beast in her. “I like to exchange. I love to fight.”
Zepeda is not the type of opponent to which Shakur is accustomed to fight. He stood up the low output fighters who load on individual shots throughout the eight -year professional career.
A high -volume offensive can be overwhelmed by Shakur, especially in the 18 × 18 feet in July 12. It will be a shock for his system fighting with a Mexican knockout artist in a smaller ring and using a lot of pressure on him so that he does not run away.
Compact ring, huge problem
– no power
– low output
– not accustomed to brawling
-18-meter ring
“I know that it is challenging to be a warrior who throws many blows. I know it’s demanding to beat me,” Zepeda said.
It will be very challenging to defeat Zeda, because even when he is vigorous with two operational hands, he never showed the opportunity to cast many shots as a professional.
27 -year -old Stevenson comes from the antique form of throwing matters, moving and holding when his opponents are approaching. Watching is effective but uninteresting. Until now, this style worked for Shakur, but its opposition was largely fighters like in the middle of the road.
Despite the acquisition of three global division titles, Shakur did not fight fighters at level A or at the elite level. The opposition he faced were guys like Josh Padley, also known as “The Electrician”, Artem Harutyunyan, Joet Gonzalez and Shuichiro Yoshino. The Shakura record is 100% built, which shows that he is a warrior created in the laboratory.
Turk’s call to fight
Turki’s post Alalshikh in social media about the fact that they no longer want fighters who are not involved in their Riyadh season cards, he was a signal for Shakur Stevenson and other like him, that they must resist instinct to run and fight if they want to invite to his events.
We will see if Stevenson will ignore Turks and will fight as he always does or listen to the message, wanting to satisfy him and earn millions that were paid by Zepeda in his pocket. This is a kind of fight that Turks and fans want to see from Stevenson on July 12.
Last updated 07/04/2025
You may like
Boxing
Vasily Lomachenko will get an immediate chance to win the world title in his comeback fight
Published
1 hour agoon
May 24, 2026
Vasily Lomachenko can win the world title outright, but only if he decides to fight at 130 pounds.
Either way, the 38-year-old is expected to return to action later this year after his contract with Top Rank expired earlier this month.
As a promotional free agent, “Loma” is expected to fight for the first time since May 2024, when he earned an 11th-round victory over George Kambosos Jr.
Lomachenko thus won the IBF lightweight title after previously being a three-division world champion, with his last 10 professional appearances coming at 135 pounds.
While many expect him to return to lightweight, perhaps in pursuit of a showdown with Gervonta Davis, the Ukrainian could potentially be tempted by a chance at 130 pounds.
In other words, he will get an immediate shot at the world title against unified champion Emanuel Navarrete, who is falling from a dominant position Final in the 11th round against Eduardo “Sugar” Nunez.
This, in turn, led to the unification of the WBO and IBF titles, although it is unclear what options the Mexican is considering for his next fight.
However, one of them may be a fight with Lomachenko, and WBO president Gustavo Olivieri will share his thoughts on this matter via social media.
“Lomachenko is back and if he wants to fight at 130 pounds with Navarrete, I’m sure the WBO Executive Committee [will approve their fight].
“In delicate of his professional merits – [two-time] Olympic [gold] medalist, multi-division champion, WBO super champion, future Hall of Famer – I’m sure the acceptance will be unanimous.”
WBO President Gustavo Olivieri reiterated that should Team Loma formally pursue a head-to-head fight against Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete, the matter would be seriously considered by the Executive Committee, given Lomachenko’s legacy as a three-division WBO world champion and one of… pic.twitter.com/ZJy3qTcU3P
— WBO (@WorldBoxingOrg) May 21, 2026
While a fight with Lomachenko could make sense for both sides, super featherweight contender Charly Suarez will be demanding a mandatory shot against Navarrete if he makes his next fight against Manuel Avila on July 11.
Author: Sean Crose
When I was a teenage man growing up in Waterbury, Connecticut, in the 1970s and 1980s, sports were king. It seemed like every kid in the neighborhood played on the basketball or baseball team. Fathers, perhaps disappointed that their dreams had not come true, could actually be harsh with their sons and daughters. As a teenage man in Waterbury, I played sports too, but what I loved…what I really loved…was boxing. The problem, of course, was that my mother wouldn’t let me box at the local boys club. If I wanted to box, I had to watch it on TV.
Which I did constantly every chance I got. I really wanted to see boxing live, but as a child my father wasn’t too keen on me being part of the very adult boxing audience. There was no live boxing in Waterbury either. It just wasn’t there. You would think so. Waterbury was a tough town, but unfortunately there was no way to watch professional fights live and in person. Willie Pep once had about 20,000 people in Waterbury Municipal Stadium, but that was long before I was born. There were a lot of boxing fans in Waterbury, but not a lot of boxing fans.
Fortunately, everything will change soon, because on June 6, professional boxing will finally return to Waterbury, and Mike “The Savage” Kimbel will be the main character of the gala at the legendary Palace Theater. To make things even more compelling, Kimbel is from Waterbury himself, so he’ll be performing for a hometown crowd. Of course, the youngster has a lot to lose, but the local player is confident.
“The intensity is still high,” he tells me when I ask how he’s doing as training comes to an end. Originally, one of the opponents was supposed to face Kimbel, but it didn’t work out that way. “He became just like a ghost,” Kimbel says. Fortunately, a up-to-date opponent will step in, which will be good for the teenage athlete hoping to impress his hometown fans.
“I feel amazing,” Kimbel says of the Waterbury fight. He also admitted that the June 6 card was associated with “a bit of the word ‘I told you so’.” Like many teenage children growing up in hard cities and towns, Kimbel had hard times. Suffice it to say, his mother was not joyful with the direction her son’s life was heading.
“My mom was fed up with it,” Kimbel says. Determined to keep her son straight and narrow, Kimbel’s mother took him to the gym. “It kept me out of trouble,” he says. And then some. Kimbel first made a name for himself in mixed martial arts, becoming a Bellator fighter. Eventually, however, he found himself in the squared circle he had always dreamed of.
“It was supposed to be overtime,” he says of his real-life experience in the ring. Needless to say, he fell in love with the sport. “I have always been a huge boxing fan,” he says. Indeed, Kimbel believes that his time in mixed martial arts has done him good. “It carried over,” he tells me. It certainly seems to be the case. Kimbel’s movements in the ring are characterized by natural fluidity. He has an excellent jab that allows him to unleash a powerful law.
However, Kimbel makes it clear that his boxing endeavors are about more than just glory. “I started it for my son,” he says. He also spends time with younger players through the Police Athletic League. “You can see the change in their eyes,” he says of how children, like he once did, began to become familiar with the sport.
While his upcoming performance in Waterbury is satisfying in its own right, Kimbel still feels he still has a lot of growing to do as a professional boxer. “History is still being written,” he says.
Boxing
Rico Verhoeven doesn’t need a rematch – he needed one more second
Published
5 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
Rico Verhoeven doesn’t need a rematch with Oleksandr Usyk because boxing has already taken away from him what he really deserved in Egypt.
Not heavyweight titles. Not a victory. Not even official recognition on the scorecards.
Verhoeven earned the right to hear the bell ring at the Pyramids after pushing the unified heavyweight champion much harder than almost anyone expected.
That moment was taken from him with a second left.
Usyk clearly didn’t prepare to the best of his ability and looked musclebound as he struggled through long stretches of the competition. However, turning him on for the last few rounds and hoping he had enough left in the tank to stop the tiring Verhoeven was certainly not part of the game plan.
The Ukrainian looked genuinely shocked at how Verhoeven was able to maneuver around the ring in such an unconventional way that he repeatedly prevented Usyk from gaining any rhythm.
As detailed in WBN’s live coverage from Giza, Verhoeven frustrated Usyk from the first round and never allowed the champion to fully take control.
Even when Usyk finally succeeded in the underbelly and started hurting Verhoeven towards the end, the Dutchman still survived, recovered and made the fight awkward enough to keep the fight hanging in the balance.
Verhoeven was seriously injured at the end of the eleventh set, but giving him that one minute to recover was the least he could pay for his fortitude and determination.
Mark Lyson’s decision
Therefore, referee Mark Lyson’s decision will remain a long-debated topic of the event.
Lyson is usually one of the better referees in boxing and is rarely controversial. This time, however, he must seriously consider the decision to stop the fight.
The official time of the eleventh round is 2:59. In fact, I thought it was at least 3:01 because the bell had already rung before Lyson had fully entered the action.
Verhoeven got back to his feet. He was prepared to continue and was a second away from hearing the bell ending the final round.
He fully deserved this opportunity.
Instead, the ending immediately reopened familiar accusations that boxing protects its own when outside forces threaten the established order.
As detailed in WBN’s post-fight report, the controversy only intensified as Verhoeven appeared to be ahead on multiple unofficial cards entering the championship rounds.
WBN had Rico Verhoeven leading 97-93 after ten rounds and 105-103 after eleven, even including the knockdown.
However, both the live WBC scorecards read in the arena and the WBA scorecards revealed after the fight in which Verhoeven did not win.
That says a lot.
There is no need for a rematch with Usyk
As for the rematch, there’s really no point.
Usyk would almost certainly have prepared better for the second fight and would likely have stopped Verhoeven in the first half of the fight once he was fully accustomed to the movement and rhythm that surprised him in Egypt.
That intrigue is now over and Usyk has his mandatory duties behind him.
Boxing had a chance to adapt to another combat sports star who went far beyond his comfort zone and exceeded almost all expectations placed on him.
Instead, the sport turned what should have been a remarkable crossover success into another evening dominated by controversy, debates over results and accusations of protectionism surrounding one of boxing’s biggest stars.
Verhoeven may never officially receive the recognition many believe he deserves. But he also doesn’t need a rematch to confirm what happened.
For ten rounds under the pyramids, Rico Verhoeven proved that he was there. This should be enough.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.
Vasily Lomachenko will get an immediate chance to win the world title in his comeback fight
Fabio Wardley vs. Daniel Dubois • FULL WEIGH IN & FACE OFF | DAZN Boxing
“STOPPED AFTER THE BELL! WE WILL APPEAL” Rico Verhoeven FUMES Over Controversial Oleksandr Usyk KO
Pacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
Dmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
Stephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
Fabio Wardley vs. Daniel Dubois • FULL WEIGH IN & FACE OFF | DAZN Boxing
“STOPPED AFTER THE BELL! WE WILL APPEAL” Rico Verhoeven FUMES Over Controversial Oleksandr Usyk KO
“I HAD TO F***ING GO FOR IT!” – Daniel Dubois on being KNOCKED DOWN by Wardley
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card


