Connect with us

Boxing

This weekend, Team Terence Crawford and Team Canelo will face each other again in the heavyweight elimination final

Published

on

Team Terence Crawford and Team Canelo clash again this weekend in heavyweight final eliminator

The teams behind last year’s blockbuster clash between Terence Crawford and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will go head-to-head again next weekend in Egypt.

Brian “BoMac” McIntyre trained Crawford from his debut until his retirement, and the same can be said for Eddy Reynoso and Canelo when the Mexican decides to hang up the gloves. The two camps went head to head in the biggest fight of 2025, and the Americans emerged victorious, crowning Crawford the undisputed super middleweight champion and handing Alvarez only his third defeat in 68 fights.

This coming weekend at the Pyramids of Giza, “BoMac” and Reynoso will once again be in opposite corners as heavyweights Richard Torrez Jr and Frank Sanchez fight in the IBF final eliminator for a chance to fight champion Oleksandr Usyk, who fights kickboxer Rico Verhoeven in the main event.

Unlike Sanchez, who has been with Reynoso for several years beyond his 2022 absence, Torrez only recently started working with McIntyre at B&B Sports Academy in Omaha.

The respected trainer, who also counts Lester Martinez in his stable and who previously trained Keyshawn Davis, said Top position that he has been impressed so far and expects his up-to-date heavyweight protege to shine this weekend.

“Frank Sanchez is a great player. He has a great team behind him, a great coach. I know for a fact that with Eddye Reynoso, these guys are ready. I wouldn’t accept anything less, and [inactivity] it doesn’t matter to him.

“It’s going to be a tough fight for the first few rounds because the guys will feel each other, try each other’s strength, but the will and determination will fade. And I know one thing – Frank failed. He was stopped. So he knows how to lose. Undefeated, Richard’s silver medalist. The kid hasn’t lost in a dozen years. I’m just looking for him to go out there, do his thing and win for sure.”

After his amateur success with the U.S. national team, Torrez, at the age of 26, established a professional record of 14-0, scoring 12 knockouts and boasting his biggest victory over Guido Vianello. Cuban Sanchez (25-1 (18 KO) lost to Agit Kabayel in 2024, which somewhat dimmed his dreams of a world title, but now he is one step away from achieving it again.

Considering that Usyk-Verhoeven is more of a spectacle than high-level boxing, their clash may turn out to be the most intriguing heavyweight fight in the world. an event that also includes Jack vs. Shakhram Giyasov for the WBA Regular welterweight belt and Hamzeh Sheeraz vs. Al Begic for the vacant WBO super middleweight title previously held by Canelo and Crawford.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Canelo Álvarez will face WBC champion Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad

Published

on

By Boxing Insider Staff

Canelo Álvarez will return to the ring on September 12 in Riyad to face WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli, His Excellency Turki Alalshikh announced from London on Saturday.

Until the fight, it will have been a year since Álvarez faced Terence Crawford in Las Vegas. According to data released by the organization, the event attracted over 41 million viewers on Netflix, making it one of the most watched boxing broadcasts in history.

Álvarez, the former undisputed super middleweight champion, returns to Saudi Arabia with the WBC title in his sights. The Mexican made nine successful saves during a reign at the top of the league that lasted almost five years before losing the undisputed crown to Crawford last September.

Mbilli’s path to the WBC title

Mbilli will enter the fight as the current WBC champion. The Montreal-based French-Cameroonian won the interim title with a win over Maciej Sulecki in June and was promoted to full champion in January. He remains undefeated and previously appeared on the Álvarez vs. card. Crawford during the Riyad season.

“My last fight was the fight of the year,” Mbilli said in a statement released by the promotion. “In September against Canelo Alvarez, it will be the fight of the decade. And when the fight is over, the world will witness my historic victory.

Canelo in the match

Álvarez, who will turn 36 in July, addressed the decision in a statement.

“After so many years in this sport, my motivation is still the same: to challenge myself, represent Mexico and continue to build my legacy,” Álvarez said. “Mbilli is undefeated and he is a great fighter and I respect that. But my focus is always on preparation, performance and giving the fans another great night of boxing. On September 12 in Riyad, we start a modern chapter with the same discipline, ambition and vision that has accompanied me throughout my career.”

Press conference for Cairo

The press conference is scheduled for Saturday, May 23 at 2:00 p.m. local time in Cairo. This will be the first confrontation between both players.

The card is a continuation of the season’s boxing program in Riyad, overseen by Alalshikh, whose list of events supported by Saudi Arabia over the last two years, it has changed the calendar of sporting events. Riyad season organizers recorded more than 17 million visitors for the 2025 edition, following the 2024 edition which exceeded 20 million.

Broadcast details, ticket information and undercard fights for the September 12 event have not yet been announced.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Robert Garcia says Oscar Duarte will not fight Lindolfo Delgado

Published

on

Image: Robert Garcia Says Oscar Duarte Won’t Fight Lindolfo Delgado

Oscar Duarte could have lost the easiest path to the world title without even entering the ring for it.

The IBF is trying to fill the vacant 140-pound championship belt after Richardson Hitchins retired and Duarte (31-2-1, 23 KO) was ready to fight fellow contender Lindolfo Delgado. The problem is that Duarte and Delgado are long-time stablemates under trainer Robert Garcia, and Garcia says this fight is unlikely to happen.


“I had dinner with Pepe Gomez and Memo Rocha, Duarte’s promoter and manager, and we are all convinced that Duarte will not continue on the IBF tour against Lindolfo Delgado unless Duarte says otherwise,” Robert Garcia told Ring.

“But I don’t think that will happen because we work closely together. We all agreed that Duarte will follow the WBC route for his next title fight.”

Garcia also suggested that Duarte’s recent split decision victory over Angel Fierro was influenced by months of uninterrupted preparation after Duarte’s scheduled February title fight against Hitchins ended hours before the evening’s fight when Hitchins fell ill.

“What influenced Duarte in the fight against Fierro was the fact that he kept coming back from training camps. He was overtrained and that’s why his performance wasn’t as good as we expected,” Robert said.

“It affected his physical abilities. He tired himself more than he should have. I think that was the problem, but he dug deep, sucked it up and did what he needed to do to get the win.”

The comments came after Duarte put up a tougher-than-expected fight against Fierro earlier this month in Las Vegas. Fierro entered the fight 3.4 pounds overweight, but Garcia said Duarte’s team still moved forward because they didn’t want another cancellation after the unsuccessful fight against Hitchins.

Garcia also made it clear that he believed Duarte would already be a world champion if the fight with Hitchins had happened.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that Oscar would have beaten Hitchins in February and become the world champion, just knowing how prepared he was for that fight,” Garcia said.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Latest

Last updated: 18/05/2026 at 11:05

Continue Reading

Boxing

Tim Bradley summarizes David Benavidez’s chances of moving up to heavyweight and defeating Usyk

Published

on

Tim Bradley sums up David Benavidez’s chances of moving to heavyweight and beating Usyk

Tim Bradley assessed David Benavidez’s chances of beating Oleksandr Usyk, who still holds three of the four major heavyweight titles.

The Ukrainian returns to action at the Egyptian Pyramids of Giza next Saturday, voluntarily defending his WBC belt against Dutch kickboxer Rico Verhoeven.

Besides this next exit, Usyk will likely be ordered to face “interim” WBC champion Agit Kabayelwho has a chance to win the full green and gold belt this year.

Alternatively, the 39-year-old could vacate his world title, perhaps with the intention of facing newly crowned unified champion Benavidez instead – a fight backed by powerful boxing broker Turki Alalshikh.

“The Mexican Monster” became a three-division world champion earlier this month, dethroning Gilberto Ramirez after the sixth round in his first appearance at 200 pounds.

However, despite his dominant performance, the reality is that Benavidez is not yet a full-fledged cruiserweight, and the 29-year-old admitted that he weighed just 202 pounds on fight night.

Because of this, he will likely drop back down to 175 pounds – where he still holds the WBC title – to face Dmitry Bivol for the undisputed crown.

As for Hall of Famer Bradley, this represents the most reasonable option for Benavidez, who effectively stated in his YouTube channel that the American has no chance of overthrowing Usyk.

“Usyk? Stop. It’s okay to have dreams – it’s okay, you can dream – [but] if you feel David Benavidez can beat Usyk, I’ll gladly take your money.

While Benavidez has always expressed interest in moving up to heavyweight, it appears his main target right now is unified airy heavyweight champion Bivol.

First, Bivol must defeat mandatory challenger Michael Eifert on May 30, but he would certainly be eager to get a chance to become a two-time undisputed champion later this year.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending