MMA
Sean Strickland warns young fighters about the reality of UFC life
Published
3 weeks agoon
Strickland has slammed fighter compensation in the
Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Strickland recently detailed the financial plight of newly signed
UFC fighters. The outspoken reigning middleweight champion also hit
out at a UFC matchmaker and some of the promotion's practices that
have rubbed him the wrong way.
UFC middleweight champion Sean Strickland says aspiring
fighters should understand the financial challenges of MMA
During a recent appearance on the “Shawn Ryan Show,†Strickland
offered a blunt assessment of the life of the average UFC athlete,
arguing that entry-level contracts and the financial realities of
competing in the Octagon leave many fighters struggling to make
ends meet despite reaching MMA's biggest stage.
“When you're a fighter, you're so f*cking poor,†Strickland said.
“Even in the UFC. UFC guys, they're signing guys at like, 10 and
10, [$10,000] to show, [$10,000] to win, $20 grand. So, then you
pay off your manager, you pay taxes; if you lose, you only get like
eight, seven grand.â€
According to Strickland, the financial challenges become even more
severe when injuries or inactivity enter the equation. While he
acknowledged that the UFC provides life-changing opportunities for
many international fighters, he described the promotion's pay
structure as “predatory,†particularly for athletes based in the
United States.
Strickland also criticized the UFC's matchmaking process, claiming
fighters often feel pressured to accept short-notice bouts because
declining them can lead to lengthy layoffs. He then singled out
longtime UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby, saying fighters often fear
turning down opportunities because of the possibility of being
sidelined for months.
“This guy [Shelby] is so f*cking brutal,†Strickland added. “You
could have a boring fight or something, and this mother*cker will
bench you for like eight months. Or you could say, ‘Hey Sean, I
want a fight.' He'll call you two weeks out from a fight… And if
you say no, he'll bench your ass. Yeah, the UFC is f*cking
brutal.â€
Strickland even suggested he'd discourage aspiring fighters from
pursuing a UFC career, though he stopped short of dismissing the
opportunities the organization has provided him. Despite his
criticism, Strickland acknowledged the opportunities the UFC has
provided.
“As much as I hate the UFC and I knock on them, they give people
opportunity you'd never have,†Strickland concluded. “I'd never
have opportunity.â€
You may like
MMA
Anthony Smith pleads not guilty to four felony charges in Nebraska
Published
7 hours agoon
August 18, 2026
Smith has pleaded not guilty to four felony charges stemming
from a July domestic incident in Nebraska.
Court records confirmed
Smith’s plea, resulting in the cancellation of an arraignment
scheduled for Aug. 17. The former
Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight title
challenger is now due back in court for a status hearing Sept. 21
in Sarpy County.
Former UFC title challenger Anthony Smith faces four felony
charges stemming from an alleged July domestic incident in Gretna,
Nebraska
Smith faces one Class 2 felony count involving an attempted Class 1
offense, a terroristic-threats charge and two counts of
first-degree false imprisonment, all classified as Class 3A
felonies. A Class 2 felony in Nebraska can carry a prison term of
one to 50 years, while Class 3A felonies carry up to three years of
imprisonment and 18 months of post-release supervision.
Prosecutors allege that Smith became involved in an altercation
with his wife at a Gretna, Nebraska, bar on July 26. They claim
Smith threatened to kill his wife, forced her into his vehicle and
later attempted to strike her with the vehicle after she exited it.
His wife was not physically injured, according to prosecutors’
account.
Smith has not publicly addressed the allegations. His wife, Mikhala
Renee Newman, previously offered a different characterization of
the incident, saying Smith was experiencing a mental health crisis
and that she had sought help to protect him from himself.
MMA
Glover Teixeira likes the idea of Alex Pereira facing Josh Hokit to earn another heavyweight title shot: 'Knock his ass out'
Published
8 hours agoon
August 18, 2026

Former UFC middleweight and light heavyweight champion Alex Pereira plans to stay at heavyweight.
Pereira moved up to heavyweight at UFC White House as he took on Ciryl Gane for the interim heavyweight title. However, Pereira suffered a knockout loss, as the size and power of Gane proved to be the difference.
After the loss, whether Pereira would stay at heavyweight was unclear, but his coach, Glover Teixeira, said that is the plan.
“He's going to stay at heavyweight; that's the plan,†Teixeira said to Ariel Helwani. … “He wants to fight all the time, but it's good to take time, he fought back-to-back for so long. He wants to fight. Alex always wants to fight.â€
Alex Pereira could face Josh Hokit next
Once Pereira is ready to return, Teixeira isn't sure who will be next for him. The goal is to get back to a heavyweight title shot, so Teixeira believes Josh Hokit could be a logical opponent.
“The plan with them, because Alex is a huge name and an exciting fighter to watch, and he sells. Some fight they will put him right back into the title. For him, pretty much any fight. Maybe we get this fight (Josh Hokit). He's talking a lot of shit. Go over there and knock his ass out and get back to the top, and then get the rematch,†Teixeira said.
Whether or not the UFC has any interest in that fight is unclear. But, on paper, it does make sense, as the winner would likely get a title shot, which is what this fight would do. And, Hokit has been talking trash about Pereira, so the storyline is there to be a co-main event of a numbered card.
Pereira is 13-4 as a pro and is coming off a TKO loss to Gane. He's 10-3 in the UFC and the former middleweight & light heavyweight champion.
Would you like to see Alex Pereira face Josh Hokit next?
This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM
Teofimo Lopez Challenges Fathers Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat
DWCS Week 2 official after all 10 fighters make weight
Anthony Smith pleads not guilty to four felony charges in Nebraska
Trending
-
MMA2 days agoJalin Turner explains how he handled the burden of hurting his opponents
-
MMA2 days agoDin Thomas retires from cornering after Gillian Robertson’s UFC 330 loss
-
MMA2 days agoIan Machado Garry sends defiant message after Islam Makhachev defeat
-
MMA2 days agoCharles Johnson’s wild UFC 330 submission was no fluke: ‘Once or twice a week’
-
MMA2 days agoChidi Njokuani explains bizarre UFC 330 weigh-in mix-up
-
MMA2 days agoIan Garry confronts Michael Morales at UFC 330: ‘Make sure you back it up’
-
MMA2 days agoLucas Fernando nearly quit MMA before breakthrough UFC 330 victory
-
MMA2 days agoNeil Magny closes in on Jim Miller’s all-time UFC wins record


