Connect with us

MMA

Rankings Shakeup: Paddy Pimblett will not be denied

Published

on

Rankings Shakeup: Paddy Pimblett will not be denied

Love him or hate him. Overrated or underrated. Real deal or hype job. One thing is a fact about Paddy Pimblett right now: He's one of the 10 best lightweights in the world. And he ain't 10.

With the Conor McGregor vs. Max Holloway main event falling flat, Pimblett was the unequivocal star of UFC 329. He needed just 52 seconds to choke out the surging Benoit Saint Denis, washing the bitter taste of a loss to Justin Gaethje that kicked off Pimblett's 2026 campaign—a loss that doesn't look so bad considering he lasted longer than Ilia Topuria did against Gaethje.

Pimblett silenced plenty of doubters just by cracking the top 15, so I'm curious to see what the #haters have to say about “The Baddy†making an undeniable contender statement. The MMA Fighting was so wowed by Pimblett's Submission of the Year candidate that he jumped all the way from No. 12 to No. 7 on our charts. Just ahead of him are PFL's Usman Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway, who has said he'd like to stick around at welterweight (though presumably only for a third fight with McGregor), so if you squint, you can see that Pimblett is actually top 5 if we're talking just UFC lightweights.

It's unlikely Pimblett gets another shot at Gaethje next, so he likely needs one more win over an elite 155er to cement his case. Depending how the cards shake out, that could mean a dance with presumptive No. 1 contender Arman Tsarukyan, “BMF†champion Charles Oliveira, or longtime rival Ilia Topuria.

Regardless of who it turns out to be, is it really wise to bet against Pimblett beating the odds again?

Check out MMA Fighting's updated lightweight rankings below following UFC 329.

Recent results for ranked fighters (previous ranking shown): No. 5 Max Holloway def. Conor McGregor (welterweight bout), No. 12 Paddy Pimblett def. No. 7 Benoit Saint Denis, No. 14 Rafael Fiziev def. Manuel Torres

Upcoming bouts featuring ranked fighters: No. 6 Usman Nurmagomedov vs. Archie Colgan (PFL New York, July 31), No. 11 Mateusz Gamrot vs. No. 13 Quillan Salkilld (UFC Vegas 120, Aug. 8)

Fighters also receiving votes (number of ballot appearances shown): Beneil Dariush (1), Alfie Davis (1), Tom Nolan (1)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Islam Makhachev mocks Max Holloway following two-belt jab

Published

on

Islam Makhachev mocks Max Holloway following two-belt jab
Islam
Makhachev has responded to Max
Holloway’s criticism of his post-fight celebration.

Makhachev successfully defended the
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title against
Ian
Garry at UFC
330, earning a unanimous decision win in Philadelphia. The
Russian was seen holding two belts as he was announced the victor,
which Holloway called into question.

Islam Makhachev answers Max Holloway's criticism after UFC
330

Holloway was quick to question Makhachev posing with two belts
despite vacating his lightweight title last year.

“Why the f*ck do you have two belts? For aura? You're just
defending one belt, bro,†Holloway said during a recent Kick
stream.

Makhachev was quick to react, taking a sly dig at the former
featherweight and BMF champ.

“I don't know bro,†Makhachev commented on Instagram. “It's even
too heavy to hold. But you don't understand, sorry.â€

Makhachev vacated the lightweight championship last year after four
successful defenses. He subsequently moved up to welterweight,
captured the 170-pound strap by dethroning Jack
Della Maddalena and has now defended the 170-pound championship
once. He's indicated that he wants to compete again before Ramadan
and is targeting Carlos
Prates for his next title defense.

Holloway's last bout was also at welterweight. The Hawaiian's
rematch with Conor
McGregor at
UFC 329 ended in anticlimactic fashion as the Irishman suffered
an injury early, prompting a referee stoppage just over a minute
into the bout.

Continue Reading

MMA

Din Thomas ‘ashamed and embarrassed,’ apologizes to Gillian Robertson

Published

on

Din Thomas ‘ashamed and embarrassed,’ apologizes to Gillian Robertson
Din
Thomas has apologized to Gillian
Robertson after drawing criticism for his comments following
his pupil's failed title bid in the
Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Thomas, Robertson's longtime mentor, announced during the UFC
330 post-show that he's done cornering fighters and that he
took “The Savage†as far as he could. The former UFC fighter drew
backlash for the timing of his remarks, with both fans and fighters
calling him out.

Din Thomas regrets timing of comments after Gillian Robertson's
UFC 330 title loss

Thomas suggested that Robertson had reached her ceiling in the
sport after getting thoroughly dominated by Mackenzie
Dern. He then claimed that he's stepping away from being a
cornerman, citing the fight week responsibilities, drawing the ire
of many. Thomas addressed the controversy on “Deep Waters,â€
admitting the timing was inappropriate.

“Saturday night was the most inappropriate time for me to bring up
that I did not want to corner again,†Thomas said. “It was
completely irresponsible; it was despicable. I shouldn't have done
it. I selfishly stole her moment that night. Instead of
congratulating her on that run, I stole her moment and I want to
apologize to her for that.â€

He also reflected on Robertson’s early struggles and the years they
spent working together. He recalled the Canadian strawweight once
hoping simply to string together two or three consecutive victories
before eventually putting together the run that earned her a
championship opportunity.

“For her, Gillian, I love you. I've got your back… I've always had
your back,†Thomas added. “This is not the end.â€

Thomas acknowledged that coaching has been an emotional experience
and said he has contemplated stepping away before, but he now
regrets making that decision public at Robertson’s expense.

“I'm ashamed. I'm embarrassed, but I'm not too big to say I'm
sorry,†Thomas said.

Continue Reading

MMA

Islam Makhachev’s coach backs Ian Garry’s No. 1 UFC ranking after loss

Published

on

Islam Makhachev’s coach backs Ian Garry’s No. 1 UFC ranking after loss
Islam
Makhachev's coach, Javier Mendez, has nothing but praise for
Ian
Garry.

Makhachev (29-1) put his
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title on the line
against Garry (17-2) at UFC
330 in Philadelphia. The challenger pushed the champ to the
limit, stuffing multiple takedown and submission attempts, but
ultimately lost via decision.

Ian Garry earns praise from Islam Makhachev's coach after
pushing the champion at UFC 330

While Makhachev was able to take Garry down, he wasn't able to
control the Irishman as he did against his previous opponents.
Makhachev even missed several takedown attempts altogether.
Furthermore, Garry showed no signs of fatigue throughout the bout
and appeared to be the fresher fighter the deeper the fight went,
while the champion's face was heavily bruised.

Mendez was impressed with Garry's valiant display and believes the
former
Cage Warriors champ should remain the No. 1 welterweight
contender on the UFC's official's rankings after his performance
against Makhachev.

“Ian Garry came in to demonstrate how tough he was, how deserving
he is of the No. 1 spot and he proved his point,†Mendez told
Submission Radio. “He's the No. 1 contender for a reason and he
probably should stay No. 1 contender after this performance, in my
opinion.â€

Makhachev is targeting Carlos
Prates for his next title defense, with the unbeaten Michael
Morales, who weighed in as a backup at UFC 330, also in
contention.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending