Connect with us

Boxing

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao 2 spirals out of control as the first card drops

Published

on

Mayweather vs Pacquiao 2 sphere rubble

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao 2 has left the Sphere and the first card on the Las Vegas schedule has fallen.

The rematch was sold along with a date, a location and enough fan hope to keep it alive after Manny Pacquiao’s team staged the Sept. 19 Sphere as the centerpiece of the event.

Now the Eagles have taken the field, the rematch is over and the idea that Mayweather vs Pacquiao 2 may never happen has resurfaced.

The Eagles announced modern dates for the Sphere event on September 18 and 19, falling on the same weekend that was rescheduled for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao 2.

That in itself doesn’t mean the fight is canceled. However, it removes a spot that Pacquiao’s team used as the backbone of the entire field before Floyd Mayweather even confirmed the fight in those same words.

The bullet was a sale

Jas Mathur, CEO of Manny Pacquiao Promotions, previously told World Boxing News that the original plan was to rely on Sphere’s scale, technology and capabilities to transform Mayweather vs. Pacquiao 2 into something beyond a normal fight night.

“The scope speaks for itself. There is nothing like it anywhere in the world,” Mathur told WBN, presenting the original plan. “When organizing an event of this importance, you choose a place that suits the moment.”

He added: “It’s not just boxing. For the first time in history, a fight of this scale will be fought in the most technologically advanced venue in the world, providing a live cinematic experience.”

It was a sale. Now that selling point is gone.

Uncertainty persisted from the moment the two sides began publicly moving in different directions. Pacquiao’s men pushed through with a fully sanctioned professional fight, while Mayweather publicly only discussed exhibition conditions while talking about a possible return.

Losing the Sphere only makes the gap between rivals harder to ignore.

The first card falls

Fans have been here before with Mayweather. The date is set, the fight is postponed, names, places and money are discussed, and then everything waits for that one person who always dictates the terms.

The frustration is sharper this time because the Sphere wasn’t a throwaway detail. This was the stage on which Pacquiao’s team promoted the rematch as something bigger than just another exhibition-era performance.

This stage now belongs to the Eagles.

Mayweather has already made progress by setting up a separate fight with Mike Zambidis in Greece, leaving Pacquiao behind in a fight that actually has a date, opponent and direction.

Zambidis became the fight that was going on, while Pacquiao remained the topic of discussion.

David Benavidez has also been linked to September 19 at T-Mobile Arena, though it’s not official, meaning boxing could still be a major event in Las Vegas that night – but not the Sphere spectacle that Pacquiao was originally selling.

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao's fight ended in a split

House of cards

The danger to Pacquiao’s team is obvious. When Sphere leaves, the tone of broadcasting will change. When the tone of the broadcast changes, the money will change. When money changes, every signature, down payment and condition attached to the contract will come under pressure.

This is how the house of cards begins to collapse.

Mayweather has spent his entire career calling the shots, the timing, the rules and the risks. Pacquiao’s team tried to sell a rematch built around a huge venue and a fully sanctioned fight. Mayweather has never fully agreed with this version publicly.

Now the first card is gone.

Until Floyd Mayweather says so himself, Mayweather vs. Pacquiao 2 is not a fight. This is a plan where we publicly lose pieces.


About the author

Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Jesse Bam Rodriguezs Team Reacts to Naoya Inoues Super Fight Deadline

Published

on

Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez's Team Reacts to Naoya Inoue's Super Fight Deadline

Robert Garcia, the trainer and manager of Jesse ‘Bam’ Rodriguez, has expressed his annoyance with a lack of communication from Team Nayoa Inoue.

‘The Monster’ made a seventh successful defence of his undisputed crown in May, unanimously outpointing Junto Nakatani in their all-Japanese encounter.

As a result, Inoue is not only considered the super-bantamweight king but, on a pound-for-pound metric, many would also place him at the top of the tree.

Rodriguez, meanwhile, made his bantamweight debut in June, becoming a three-division world champion by dethroning WBA champion Antonio Vargas with a sixth-round finish.

While there is much talk surrounding a potential clash between Rodriguez and Inoue, it would seem that no official negotiations have actually taken place.

Or at least, it is far from certain that the pair will square off in March 2027, when Inoue is reportedly looking to stage his next outing. He recently stated that he will not hang around at 122lbs waiting for ‘Bam’, and will move on if the fight does not happen in Q1 of 2027.

On the proposed showdown, coach Garcia has told Ring Magazine that he and ‘Bam’ have no problem with the deadline.

“There’s been talk that Inoue says he’s moving up [to featherweight] sooner than later – that he probably won’t wait [for the Rodriguez fight] past March of next year.

“We’re okay with that, but nobody’s told me that. Nobody from Inoue’s team has approached me saying, ‘Look, Robert. This is what Inoue wants. He wants to know if you guys are interested in the fight’.

“Yeah, we’re interested in the fight. But I’m not trying to change the date. I would love Bam to get one more fight at 118[lbs].”

Garcia went on to name WBO bantamweight champion Christian Medina as the ideal opponent for Rodriguez in November, before he hopefully steps up to 122lbs and challenges Inoue.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Teofimo Lopez Challenges Fathers Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat

Published

on

"Teofimo Lopez Challenges Father's Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat"

Teofimo Lopez has criticised his father for showing a lack of competence during his unanimous decision defeat to Shakur Stevenson.

‘The Takeover’ was handily outboxed and dethroned by Stevenson in January, winning just one round as his opponent became a four-division world champion at 140lbs.

As a result, Lopez is now moving up to 147lbs in an attempt to reinvent himself and become a three-weight world champion against Rolando Romero.

But while he felt a change in weight was most certainly needed, the 29-year-old saw no reason to dismiss his father, Teofimo Sr, as his head coach.

This is in spite of the fact that Lopez Sr was heavily ridiculed for his efforts in the corner at Madison Square Garden, where Stevenson’s route to victory was only made clearer by his bizarre style of coaching.

Rather than offering his son any words of advice, he just simply pointed out his flaws and gave the defending champion no direction on how to improve.

Lopez therefore confronted his father while speaking with Ring Magazinealbeit with no threats of employing a different trainer.

“Every son wants to make their father proud. When you got your father in that moment – when you’re bleeding; when they’re allowing Shakur to do all these extra things … and your trainer is not going you instructions – they’re just talking you down: ‘Where’s your power? Where’s this? You’re gonna hate yourself’ – all roads lead to [defeat].”

As he takes on WBA champion Romero at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena on Saturday, it should be interesting to see how Lopez’s corner shapes up between rounds.

In any event, the American will be under a fair amount of pressure to produce an improved performance.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Ryan Garcia Responds to Conor Benns Weight Concerns Ahead of Upcoming Fight

Published

on

"Ryan Garcia Responds to Conor Benn's Weight Concerns Ahead of Upcoming Fight"

Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn are scheduled to square off next month, and ‘King Ry’ has reacted to news that this will be the Briton’s final bout at welterweight, following a difficult weight cut.

Benn has not fought at 147lbs since a knockout victory over Chris van Heerden back in April 2022, but he was installed as the WBC’s mandatory challenger for the welterweight division earlier this year, after revealing his intentions of returning to the weight.

Reality seems to have hit home for ‘The Destroyer’ during this camp though, as he has already announced that this will be his last contest in the division following a brutal weight cutregardless of the outcome, signalling that he has outgrown the weight.

In a clip captured by Ring MagazineGarcia responded to Benn’s announcement and declared that his upcoming opponent is already making excuses ahead of their meeting.

“We know you can’t make weight. This is why Conor Benn said this is his last time at 147lbs. My guy is making excuses before he loses, who says that, ‘this is my last fight at 147’.

“My guy, you gonna go backwards just to get that a** whooped? Oh my gosh, bro. It’s fine, bro, he is just going to run into it. F**k that dude.”

Garcia-Benn takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, with Zuffa Boxing cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia poised to take on current WBC cruiserweight titleholder Noel Mikaelian – although he may no longer be champion come fight week.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending