Manny Pacquiao said he is “100% certain” that his rematch with Floyd Mayweather on September 19 at The Sphere in Las Vegas will happen regardless of what his opponent says.
“We both signed a contract and we both received an advance on our purses, so there’s no way we’re canceling this fight,” Pacquiao told ESPN on Monday. “Even in our first fight, it’s a lot to deal with, but the fight happened.”
Earlier this month, Mayweather told Vegas Sports Today during an event at Caesars Palace that “we don’t know where the fight is. The Sphere is one of the places they’ve talked about. So we don’t know 100% if he’s going to be there. And it’s not actually a fight. It’s an exhibition.”
Pacquiao said he was disappointed to hear Mayweather was pulling out of the fight, but wasn’t necessarily surprised given his interactions with him over the years and the obstacles he had to overcome to get his first fight.
“When I heard Mayweather say it was an exhibition, I immediately called my team and said, ‘What’s going on? What’s wrong with this guy?'” Pacquiao told ESPN. “What we signed was a real fight, not an exhibition. I don’t know where he got the idea or where he got his head in his head, but a fight is a real fight and it definitely won’t be an exhibition.”
Manny Pacquiao Promotions CEO Jas Mathur told ESPN that Mayweather breached the contract with his comments and that discussions are ongoing. On Monday, Mathur said both sides were “making progress” toward resolving the matter and continuing the fight as planned.
“We are 100% confident that the overall outcome of this situation will be positive,” Mathur told ESPN. “We are gaining progress and traction. Floyd has to live up to his responsibilities and I think he wants this fight to happen too.”
Meanwhile, Pacquiao continues to make moves in the boxing world as he waits for his September date with Mayweather to come to fruition.
The boxing legend just signed a nine-figure contract with Team Boxing League and will become the owner of the San Diego TJ team for the 2027 season. Pacquiao will have capital as he aims to push Team Boxing League to a global platform in the fourth season. Through his agreement, he will contribute to increasing global brand awareness, adding to a growing portfolio of assets.
“Building an empire is very vital to me and very meaningful because we can aid many juvenile fighters realize their dream of becoming world champions,” Pacquiao said. “I will be busy as a promoter and advise the next generation of boxers.”
Pacquiao, 47, has been unwavering in his investment in boxing and beyond, from film and finance to technology and nutritional supplements, as well as taking over Mayweather’s senior gym in Hollywood and renaming it Pacquiao Prime Boxing. But nothing excites him more than the thought of revenge for his 2015 loss to Mayweather.
“I never thought that at this age I would still be able to make history in and out of the ring,” Pacquiao said. “I will be fighting Floyd Mayweather at The Sphere on Netflix, where even more people will be able to see our fight than last time. I’m more excited about the rematch than the first fight.”