Connect with us

Boxing

Julio Cesar Chavez asked where Canelo ranks among the greatest Mexican fighters of all time

Published

on

Julio Cesar Chavez asked where he ranks Canelo amongst the greatest Mexican fighters of all time

Although appreciated as the recent “face of boxing” and a global superstar, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s position among Mexican champions is becoming increasingly controversial. Now national legend Julio Cesar Chavez has spoken out about Alvarez’s place among his country’s many boxing icons.

Canelo’s supporters point to his world titles in four weight classes, his longevity at the elite level and victories over names such as Gennady Golovkin, Miguel Cotto and Sergey Kovalev as evidence that he is among the best Mexican fighters ever.

Critics may argue that his controversial scorecards, selective drafting and defeats to Floyd Mayweather, Dmitry Bivol and Terence Crawford put him behind iconic Mexican figures like Chavez and Salvador Sanchez in the all-time discussions.

– said Chavez, often considered the best in the country Luis Parra that in his opinion, Canelo has earned a place in the “top ten” in the country.

“Apart from me? Well, look, Mexico was great. [Salvador] Sanchez, [Rubén] Oliveres, [José] “Butter” Naples, [Marco Antonio] Barrera, [Erik] Morales, Canelo, [Humberto] “Chiquita” Gonzalez, Ricardo “Finito” López.”

“Yes, [Canelo belongs in the top 10]of course, man.

Canelo will look to further enhance his legacy as he tries to reclaim the super middleweight throne later this year, with a WBC crown fight against Christian Mbilli scheduled for Saturday, September 12.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Angelo Dundee predicted Marquez Pacquiao’s nightmare before his death

Published

on

Angelo Dundee inset alongside Juan Manuel Marquez celebrating his knockout victory over Manny Pacquiao in their 2012 fourth fight.

Months before his death, legendary trainer Angelo Dundee predicted that Juan Manuel Marquez would finally defeat Manny Pacquiao – shortly before the knockout that changed boxing forever.

Dundee, one of the brightest minds in sports history, predicted this in 2011 when discussing Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather and the growing tension around both rivalries.

The Hall of Fame trainer who guided Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard through some of boxing’s greatest nights noticed something that many others at the time ignored or underestimated.

“Marquez will fight a tough fight against Pacquiao every day he is alive,” Dundee said in an interview with Lem Satterfield in Ring.

“Probably Pacquiao’s toughest fight because Marquez is a guy who knows how to fight him.

“Split Decisions – Marquez.”

Pacquiao continued to be one of the most destructive forces in the sport and entered Marquez’s fourth fight as the overwhelming favorite, despite years of razor-sharp controversy between the two.

But Dundee realized something that finally couldn’t be denied.

Marquez never stopped believing he could beat Pacquiao.

Angelo Dundee predictions

Before the knockout that forever defined their rivalry, Marquez had been chasing an emphatic victory over Pacquiao for years.

Their first fight ended in a draw. Pacquiao then scored two narrow contest victories that many fans still debate.

Marquez refused to let the rivalry end and became obsessed with proving that he could finally defeat Pacquiao once and for all.

In 2012, he finally got the ending he wanted.

The right hand that left Pacquiao unconscious face to face immediately became one of the most repeated knockouts in boxing history.

Marquez later admitted he feared he had seriously injured Pacquiao after seeing his rival remain motionless following the knockout.

“When I reacted to Pacquiao, he still looked knocked out,” Marquez recalled years later.

“When I saw he reacted and was coming back to life, I was content.”

For many fans, the knockout permanently changed the perception of Pacquiao’s career.

Previously, World Boxing News examined how Timothy Bradley’s controversial defeat earlier this year could have pushed Pacquiao towards a fourth fight with Marquez, carrying more pressure and urgency than ever before.

That desperation could have created exactly the opening Marquez needed.

Dundee somehow saw the danger before anyone else.

Chris Farina / Top Position

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather

That’s not the end of Dundee’s knowledge of Pacquiao.

While discussing a potential fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, Dundee also supported Mayweather’s victory while questioning why the fight is taking so long.

Dundee didn’t know it would take another three years to get them both into the ropes.

“Mayweather wins,” Dundee said.

“I just don’t know why Mayweather doesn’t fight him.

“He goes around saying he’s the best fighter in the world? Well, fight the sucker. I think he beats Pacquiao.”

History eventually proved that Dundee was there too.

Mayweather defeated Pacquiao by unanimous decision in 2015 and retired undefeated.

Manny Pacquiao knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez
Will Hart / HBO

Now, more than a decade later, Pacquiao is preparing for one last attempt to rewrite this rivalry when the two meet again in a Netflix-backed rematch later this year.

Ironically, Pacquiao himself recently admitted that he wants to give Mayweather the final ending that Marquez once gave him.

“I want Floyd to live with one defeat in his professional record and always remember who gave it to him,” Pacquiao said earlier this year.

Pacquiao is now chasing the kind of ending that Marquez once took from him.

Punch heard around the world

Dundee was a boxing legend. It was an honor to continue to have him with me as World Boxing News entered boxing in 2010.

Unfortunately, boxing lost Angelo in 2012 just weeks after he predicted that Marquez would finally beat Pacquiao.

Ali’s former coach was one of the few who predicted the Mexican’s greatest triumph before lightning finally struck.


About the author

Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Comparison of Leonard, Whitaker and Mayweather

Published

on

Image: Comparing Leonard, Whitaker and Mayweather

Three American champions from different eras are often brought into the same conversation when fans discuss skills, defense and in-ring IQ. Sugar Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker and Floyd Mayweather Jr. They rose to the top in different ways, but each left behind a style that younger players still try to emulate.

Leonard emerged from the 1976 Olympics with charisma, speed and the ability to fight at a pace that overwhelmed his opponents. His amateur background was robust even before winning Olympic gold in Montreal. As a professional, he went through one of the hardest eras in the history of sports. Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler were not carefully selected opponents. Leonard fought them all during a period when elite welterweights regularly faced each other.


Whitaker may have been the purest defensive player of the three. His 1984 Olympic gold medal helped launch a professional career built on reflexes, balance and anticipation. Many fans still believe he deserved the decision in his 1993 fight against Julio Cesar Chavez. Whitaker was arduous to hit cleanly, but his style sometimes hurt him in the eyes of the judges because he focused more on control than doing damage.

Mayweather took parts of Leonard and Whitaker and turned them into a business model that kept him undefeated for 50 fights. Early in his career as “Pretty Boy”, he relied more on speed and combinations, before later becoming a more cautious and defensive fighter. His victories over Diego Corrales, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Canelo Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao helped build one of the most successful careers in boxing history.

Arguments between fans usually come down to preference. Leonard fought in the deepest era. Whitaker may have had the best natural defense. Mayweather retired undefeated and was the most financially successful of the three. None of the answers are clear, which is probably why the debate still rages on all these years later.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Floyd Mayweather Jr., Oscar for the hole

Last updated: 20/05/2026 at 17:38

Continue Reading

Boxing

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2 may be in jeopardy again as Mayweather plans next fight

Published

on

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2 may be back in jeopardy as Mayweather books another fight

The recent situation may once again call into question the rematch of Floyd Mayweather with Manny Pacquiao.

In February, it was revealed that Mayweather and Pacquiao were scheduled to meet for a second time, more than 10 years since their first fight and eight years since Mayweather last competed professionally.

Several issues then emerged that raised concerns that the fight would not actually take place, with Mayweather claiming that the fight would be an exhibition rather than a fully sanctioned competition. The announced date and venue were also questioned at the time.

These issues appeared to be resolved earlier this month the pair reportedly agreed to new fighting termsbut now it looks like Mayweather will be ready for another appearance on the same date, which could lead to a potential clash.

His planned exhibition fight against Mike Tyson has now been officially postponed, with the CIS Sports reveal the legendary duo will meet this fall after “Iron Mike” recovers from the injury that delayed their fight.

“Worldwide superstars Mike Tyson and undefeated Floyd “Money” Mayweather (50-0), who have signed contracts to enter the ring at the spring exhibition, will have a tiny while to wait until Tyson fully recovers from a broken hand he injured during training.

“Tyson, who has been seen in a cast while his recovery continues to go smoothly, is looking forward to the fight, which will be rescheduled for fall 2026. The date, location and broadcast plans for FIGHT SPORTS® will be announced soon.

“The Legend vs Legend exhibition, in accordance with agreements with CSI Sports™/FIGHT SPORTS®, was originally scheduled for May 30 and will only be postponed.

“CSI Sports™/FIGHT SPORTS® exclusive agreements with Tyson and Mayweather place the company at the forefront of the world’s premier sporting events, reinforcing its commitment to bringing marquee events and historic fights to fans around the world.”

In addition to the postponed fight with Tyson, Mayweather is also scheduled to fight Greek kickboxer Mike Zambidis in June, so it seems there may be even more hurdles to overcome if a rematch with Pacquiao does indeed happen.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending