Connect with us

UK Boxing

Jake Paul risks brain damage as friend worries about ‘crazy’ fight with Anthony Joshua

Published

on

Former UFC bantamweight champion Sean O’Malley has expressed solemn concerns about Jake Paul’s upcoming fight with Anthony Joshua. Paul will face the former two-time heavyweight champion in an eight-round professional heavyweight fight on December 19 in Miami. The American has constrained experience competing in boxing’s top division, having defeated Mike Tyson on points last November.

The YouTuber-turned-boxer usually competes at cruiserweight and returned to that weight class in his last outing in June against former champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Paul secured the points win that night, improving his professional record to 12-1. In his boxing career so far, the 28-year-old has mainly faced former mixed martial arts fighters such as Anderson Silva, Nate Diaz and Tyron Woodley. The encounter with Joshua represents Paul’s first real challenge in the ring and has sparked widespread concerns for his welfare.

The American’s close friend O’Malley shared his thoughts on the lucrative fight in Florida over the Christmas period.

The UFC star admitted he fears for Paul after witnessing the “Problem Child” fight against Joshua last week. “Did you see the size difference between Anthony (and Jake)? Did you see how f**king huge this guy is? 6’4″, 265cm,” O’Malley said on his YouTube channel.

“This fight, as a friend of Jake’s, is terrifying. Getting knocked out by someone like that is life-changing. It doesn’t just change your career path. It can change your life. It can change your mindset. Being knocked out and having a major concussion is terrifying. You’ve got a goddamn brain and he’s ready to go out there and fight. This is absolute madness. It scares me.”

Even though Joshua had to lose weight to meet Paul’s demands and make the competition official, the former champion remains a true heavyweight who insists he is still in great shape. “Problem Child” enters the game in Miami with a much weaker side, but O’Malley believes that even a points loss would be a decent result for the social media star.

“If Jake takes the decision and loses to AJ, I think it will be a victory. It’s a huge victory. If he goes out and fights eight three-minute rounds against Anthony Joshua, it will be a victory,” O’Malley said. “Jake’s got a lot of nuts. It’s crazy and he’s confident, it sounds confident.”

Heavyweight prospect Moses Itauma also expressed his concerns, insisting that Paul “fire his advisors.” He told BBC Sport: “Jake Paul needs to sack his advisers. [The] people who tell him to organize these fights because it’s not good.”

He continued: “Obviously, making money, but at the same time it’s just absurd. I don’t think Jake Paul is bad at boxing, I think he’s good. I like Jake Paul. You see what he’s doing in women’s boxing as well, and I’m not saying he shouldn’t take that fight.”

“I just feel like he has to consider the results. Like, I don’t know, £50m [vs] my health. Cars and watches [vs] I can’t say my name. Is it worth it? And if he wants to fight Anthony Joshua, it’s not my life – go and do it. But personally, if I were Jake Paul’s brother, I would be very worried.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

UK Boxing

Oleksandr Usyk vs Rico Verhoeven – weigh-in results

Published

on

The fury ruined the chances of defeating Klitschko in Dusseldorf (Martin Meissner, AP)

Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven weighed in today before Saturday’s fight in front of the pyramids.

The post Oleksandr Usyk vs Rico Verhoeven – Weigh-in results appeared first on ProBoxing-Fans.com.

Continue Reading

UK Boxing

Who is Rico Verhoeven? Meet Oleksandr Usyk’s next opponent

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven fight on the pyramids, photo: Mark Robinson/Matchroom Boxing

History will be made on Saturday when Oleksandr Usyk defends his status as the best heavyweight in the world against Rico Verhoeven.

The Usyk vs Verhoeven fight is the contender’s second professional boxing fight. Here’s everything you need to know about it.

Verhoeven is nicknamed the “King of Kickboxing” and his professional kickboxing record is 54-10 with 16 stoppages along the way.

He was born in the Netherlands and made his professional debut at the age of only 16.

The Dutchman is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, kickboxers of all time. In 2014, he became the GLORY heavyweight champion of the world.

Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven fight on the pyramids, photo: Mark Robinson/Matchroom Boxing

The 37-year-old dominated and defended the title for over a decade.

He is respected in the kickboxing world for his elite cardio skills, technical skills and fighting IQ, and is known to many for his celebrated rivalry with Badr Hari, a man he stopped twice in three years.

Verhoeven is 6 feet 5 inches and has a reach of 200 cm compared to his opponent Usyk who is 6 feet 3 inches and has a reach of 198 cm.

Despite challenging a man who is considered by many to be boxing’s number one, this will be only Verhoeven’s second professional boxing fight.

The only time he stepped into the squared circle was in 2014, before he won either of his kickboxing titles.

In Germany, he faced Janos Finfera 0:5 and made no mistake, stopping his opponent in the second round.

On Saturday in Egypt, Oleksandr Usyk will defend his world heavyweight title in a fight against Rico Verhoeven. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
On Saturday in Egypt, Oleksandr Usyk will defend his world heavyweight title in a fight against Rico Verhoeven. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing

His fight with the Ukrainian will take place in front of ul Pyramids of Gizathe first spectacle in this sport, which should prove to be a historic spectacle.

The event was organized by Turki Alalshikh and The Ring Magazine and will be broadcast live on DAZN pay-per-view.

For the past decade, Verhoeven has worked with a highly respected boxing coach Piotr Furywhich helped develop his boxing skills into his kickboxing career.

On Saturday, Rico Verhoeven fights Oleksandr Usyk for the WBC heavyweight world title in Egypt. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
On Saturday, Rico Verhoeven fights Oleksandr Usyk for the WBC heavyweight world title in Egypt. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing

Verhoeven and Fury have both talked about how beneficial it has been to focus solely on boxing for the past six months; was originally set to face Anthony Joshua.

The entry Who is Rico Verhoeven? Meet Oleksandr Usyk’s next opponent appeared first on ProBoxing-Fans.com.

Continue Reading

UK Boxing

Tyson Fury suggests shock fight with football icon

Published

on

‼

Tyson Fury has suggested that there will be a shocking fight with Zlatan Ibrahimovic later this year.

Fury is a two-time world heavyweight champion and Ibrahimovic has never had a professional boxing fight.

He informed about it A place of stomping earlier that morning, both the “Gypsy King” and the retired soccer star met in Warsaw.

Goldstar’s James Ward shared multiple photos from the pair’s reunion, where you could imagine them dining together at restaurants with a enormous film crew in attendance, likely filming footage for the confirmed third installment of his hit Netflix series Fury’s House of Fury.

See this post on Instagram

Post shared by James Ward. (@jamesward_80)

Just hours after posting the photos, both Fury and Ibrahimovic shared a post on Instagram suggesting a fight between them.

The caption on their post read: “BREAKING NEWS! AUGUST 1 in Dublin, Ireland, @tysonfury @turki #makingboxinggreatagain.”

While many fans initially thought the post was a joke, Turki Alalshikha’s recent matchmaking means some fans are taking the possibility seriously.

See this post on Instagram

Post shared by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (@zlatan)

On Saturday, Alalshikh and The Ring Magazine host another shocking contest for the two-time undisputed heavyweight champion of the worldN Aleksander Usyk will face a kickboxing star Rico Verhoeven in front of the Giza pyramids.

Usyk is the main favorite, but Fury would probably be an even bigger favorite if the fight with Ibrahimovic comes to fruition.

On Saturday, Rico Verhoeven fights Oleksandr Usyk for the WBC heavyweight world title in Egypt. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
On Saturday, Rico Verhoeven fights Oleksandr Usyk for the WBC heavyweight world title in Egypt. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing

The football star has previously hinted at a possible boxing crossover with Sun sport claiming to have spoken to Misfits Boxing in October 2024.

Misfits promoter Mams Taylor has spoken out about the possibility of Ibrahimovic fighting.

“I tried to convince Zlatan and he can fight. I’m good friends with his manager and the three of us talked on FaceTime.

Tyson Fury has hinted at a shocking crossover fight with Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Photo credit: Mark Robinson/Netflix
Tyson Fury has hinted at a shocking crossover fight with Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Photo credit: Mark Robinson/Netflix

“It was really nippy because he saw a lot of Misfits fights and followed them. He was a kickboxer and would have been good too.

“But yes, there are other names that are not as renowned as these guys, but they are still very respected and have achieved a lot that is of interest.

“And since it’s so realistic that these guys will fight, I won’t mention their names.”

‘The Gypsy King’ will face long-time rival Anthony Joshua at the end of the year after they have been on a collision course for over a decade, but Fury has stated he would like one more fight before facing ‘AJ’.

Tyson Fury says he will knock out Anthony Joshua Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
Tyson Fury says he will knock out Anthony Joshua. Photo: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing

Rumors began to circulate that Fury’s next fight would take place about a week or two after Joshua’s fight against Kristian Prenga on July 25.

In the absence of official confirmation of the event, the reality of this fight remains unknown, but Fury and Ibrahimovic clearly suggest that it will take place in Dublin.

The post Tyson Fury hints at shock fight with football icon appeared first on ProBoxing-Fans.com.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending