Boxing
Chris Eubank Jr vs. Conor Benn 2: When Eddie Hearn watched dads fight
Published
6 months agoon
Eddie Hearn insists the Chris Eubank Jr. fight with Conor Benn II is as vital as their fathers’ iconic rematch in October 1993, when a fierce rivalry culminated in one of the greatest fights in British boxing history.
At the age of 14, Hearn was a ringside spectator at the controversial draw between Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank in their super middleweight world title unification bout at Ancient Trafford in Manchester, England.
Hearn’s dad Barry promoted Eubank and arranged a rematch in 1993, but Eddie is now on the opposite side as promoter of Nigel’s son Conor (23-1, 14 KO), who will face Eubank (35-3, 25 KO) at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday in a non-title middleweight fight.
The English rivals meet again after a thrilling first fight in April between Eubank Jr. deservedly won by unanimous scores (116-112 on all three scorecards), also in Tottenham, London.
Eubank Jr’s victory, after a malicious boost, was the biggest fight in Britain this year – but is it as significant as the 1993 rematch?
“I think it’s just as large,” Hearn told ESPN.
“I think the first fight between Conor and Eubank Jr far exceeded expectations in terms of entertainment and quality. They were two world-class boxers who let their emotions take over and fought a war and everyone loved it. You will see the same fight, I think both of them will try to be a little smarter in this fight. But Conor Benn is Conor Benn, he is his father’s son and he won’t really change in that respect.”
“The only thing missing is the world championship because in 1993 there were two fighters involved. It was also on ITV and the way people watched boxing was different back then, but the whole country will stop and watch Benn Eubank again. We’ll have 60,000 again and how often do you see that? I’m teasing my venerable man [Barry Hearn] that his 42,000 in 1993 was not bad, but I looked at him several times.”
Despite Hearn claiming there would be a larger live broadcast than Saturday, the 1993 rematch was watched live – it was watched in over 60 countries, with a global audience reportedly reaching half a billion. Frank Bruno, Lennox Lewis, Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe, Carl Froch, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua attracted huge audiences.
However, none of them were watched by an official live audience larger than the 16.5 million who tuned in on free-to-air ITV in the UK to see Eubank vs. Benn II. This was a much larger number than the pay-per-view audience (less than a million) for the WBC world heavyweight fight between Lewis and Bruno a week earlier in 1993, which was also watched by a smaller gate (25,000) in Cardiff, Wales.
“It was a hazy and forgettable night in Manchester, so the anticipation was huge,” Hearn told ESPN.
“My dad was Eubank’s best man and they both said in an interview: I would take a bullet for that man and they were so close. But I was a bit of a secret Nigel Benn fan. They sent me his jacket once, it was really chilly and I saw him fight Iran Barkley and I thought he was unbelievable. But I was on Team Eubank.”
“Those stadium shows were carnage, but back then Matchroom had five or six employees and that was the whole company, now we have 40 in the UK just for the boxes. Now the shows are run with military precision, but back then it was just crazy, people jumping in confined areas, tickets here, tickets there and it was a crazy venerable night.”
After Eubank’s 9th round victory over Benn in 1990, their rivalry intensified as their fame grew. By the time they reunited in 1993, Eubank and Benn were among the most famed sports stars in Britain
Although Eubank claimed not to hate Benn, Benn was not so cordial.
“I personally hate this man,” Benn said.
There was huge interest in a rematch, and they were paid handsomely for agreeing to the deal: Benn received £1 million ($1.32 million) and Eubank £850,000, according to reports at the time.
Even Don King, who lived in the USA and promoted, among others, Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, as well as Frank Warren, who was Barry Hearn’s promotional rival in Great Britain, got involved in the rematch in 1993.
“I remember Don King was a partner on the show and then he hired Frank Warren as his partner,” Hearn told ESPN.
“So if you can imagine my dad putting on this show and bringing in Don King for American money, and then Don King turns around and says I’m taking my partner, Frank Warren, my dad’s biggest rival. They weren’t talking to each other, it was that bad. Part of the deal was that Don King had options on the winner of the fight – but it was a draw. That was one of the funniest things that happened, but if Eubank had won, he would have gone to Don King and Frank Warren.”
– Chris Eubank Jr.-Conor Benn II: How to watch, ring time, latest news
– ‘A little bit skinny’: Benn teases Eubank about his weight gain
– The revival of one of boxing’s greatest rivalries: Benn vs. Eubank
“It wasn’t a bad fight, it was a bit tense and most people thought Nigel Benn should have won it. They should have had a trilogy fight but they both went their separate ways, had great fights against different opponents. That was the highlight of the night with my dad stepping up and he was lucky to get the draw that night.”
The rematch was not as good as the first stimulating fight for the WBO middleweight world title in 1990. The final round was good, but the fight was mainly a tactical matter and most felt that Benn should have won it.
Both retained their belts after a split draw. “Eu Robbers” was the headline of the British newspaper Daily Mirror. If Benn, who wasn’t even born in 1993, wants revenge on his family, he will have to fight Eubank on Saturday after jumping two weight classes to face his English rival earlier this year.
According to Hearn, Benn, 29, has lower expectations of him than Eubank, 36, who expects the Essex boxer to advance to a welterweight or junior middleweight world title later this year, whether he wins on Saturday or not.
“You can expect that when Conor returns to welterweight, he will probably be fighting for the world title anyway,” Hearn told ESPN.
“So I feel like Conor has nothing to lose, but if Eubank gets beat… Terence Crawford would be a disastrous mismatch for Eubank Jr.
It was mentioned that Eubank Jr could fight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez or Hamzah Sheeraz, but if he is defeated by Conor, he will be ineligible for those fights. The only thing he can do if he loses is try to force a trilogy fight that isn’t contracted. But Conor could win and then move down to 147 pounds and fight IBF welterweight champion Lewis Crocker or fight WBC champion Mario Barrios and then maybe move up to 154 and fight Abass Baraou [WBA world junior middleweight champion].
“Eubank is obviously the favorite but we are sneakily confident. We just feel like we will go in blind and turn it upside down and then we will have the keys to the kingdom.”
After the 1993 rematch, Nigel won five consecutive world title fights, including the biggest victory of his career against Gerald McClellan in 1995.
Eubank won more (and lost more) than Benn after the rematch, but his best days were before the rematch, when he won against Benn and Michael Watson.
You may like
Boxing
Rico Verhoeven speaks out about the referee stopping Usyk’s fight one second before the end of the round
Published
39 minutes agoon
May 23, 2026
Rico Verhoeven commented on the controversial break in the match after the defeat to Oleksandr Usyk.
Verhoeven challenged heavyweight king Usyk at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt, and despite most expecting a huge mismatch before the fight, the Dutchman came within a whisker of arguably the biggest upset in boxing history.
The kickboxing legend did enough to win multiple rounds heading into the final stages, with the underdog Usyk struggling to cope with his unconventional opponent.
Usyk finally found the shot he needed when he dropped his opponent at the end of the 11th round, and although Verhoeven managed to get up, the Ukrainian attacked again. led to referee Mark Lyson stopping the fight. Many fans – as well as Verhoevens’ team – were outraged by this decision.
After the fight, Verhoeven shared his thoughts on Lyson, who waved it off, saying he felt he deserved to fight longer.
“I thought it was an early break. It’s not up to me. I believe the referee knows we’re almost at the end of the round, whether he lets me go to the target or let the bell ring… it was close and I thought we were equal on the scorecards.”
Vehoeven was humble at the time when asked if he deserved a rematch.
“It’s not up to me, it’s up to the organization, let’s see what happens.”
It is unknown whether the second fight will actually take place, as the WBC has already ordered Usyk to face mandatory challenger Agit Kabayel next, under threat of being stripped of his belt.
Boxing
Glory in Giza Preview: Full Card List Usyk vs. Verhoeven
Published
3 hours agoon
May 23, 2026
Unified heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk will defend his WBC title against former kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven on Saturday, May 23 at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt. The card, branded “Glory in Giza” and promoted by Matchroom, is streaming globally on DAZN pay-per-view and is priced at $59.99 in the United States and £24.99 in the United Kingdom, according to data ESPN. This is the first professional boxing event organized in this historic place. The main card will start at 2:00 PM ET, with main events taking place around 5:48 PM ET and 10:48 PM BST. Below is a fight-by-fight breakdown of the lineup.
Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven, heavyweight, WBC title
Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) will make his first appearance since a fifth-round stoppage of Daniel Dubois at Wembley Stadium in July 2025, which restored his undisputed status. The 39-year-old Ukrainian holds the WBC, WBA and IBF belts, but only the WBC championship is at stake. The WBA and IBF declined to sanction the fight because Verhoeven is unclassified. Nevertheless, the IBF granted Usyk an exception to compete in what it classified as an unsanctioned competition, with conditions attached: if Usyk lost, the IBF title would be considered vacant, while the WBA indicated that it would retain Usyk as champion regardless of the result. result.
Verhoeven enters the fight with a 1-0 professional boxing record, his lone fight ending in a second-round stoppage of winless Janos Finfera in 2014. The 36-year-old Dutchman held the GLORY heavyweight title for more than 11 years before vacating it in November, and his kickboxing record stands at 66-10 with 21 knockouts. He is 6-foot-10, weighs about 270 pounds and is trained for the fight under Peter Fury, who cornered Tyson Fury in his 2015 victory over Wladimir Klitschko. Verhoeven described his crossover as a stylistic problem that Usyk had not faced. “I will bring something different to the table that he hasn’t seen before,” he said. “He has analyzed the sport of boxing like no one else, but he doesn’t know about the kickboxer who will box.”
Usyk described the fight as a voluntary defense on his own terms after years of mandatory and unification commitments, telling reporters that “size doesn’t matter” while calling Verhoeven a “risky guy.” The consensus among observers definitely favors the champion. Usyk is a 30-1 favorite and the over/under in completed rounds is 5.5. On his podcast, Teddy Atlas acknowledged that Verhoeven has a kickboxing pedigree but dismissed his prospects in the boxing ring, noting that the Dutchman’s high guard and upright stance could leave him open to Usyk’s combinations. The full breakdown, including Atlas’ comments, appeared in Boxing Insider’s fight week coverage.
Hamzah Sheeraz vs. Alem Begic for the vacant WBO super middleweight title
In this joint fight, Hamzah Sheeraz (22-0-1, 18 KO) and undefeated Alem Begic (29-0-1) will fight for the vacant WBO super middleweight title. Sheeraz, 26, fell miniature in his only previous attempt at a world title – a middleweight draw before he started moving up in weight. Begic, a 39-year-old German, faces world-class challenges for the first time. The fight is scheduled for 12 rounds.
Jack Catterall vs. Shakhram Giyasov for the vacant WBA welterweight title
Jack Catterall (32-2, 14 KO) and Shakhram Giyasov (17-0, 10 KO) will fight for the vacant WBA welterweight title. Catterall, 32, of Chorley, England, is ranked No. 1 by the WBO at the weight and is coming off an 11th-round knockout of Ekow Essuman in November. He chose the fight rather than wait to fight WBO champion Devin Haney. Giyasov, a 31-year-old Uzbek and former Olympic silver medalist, is a top contender for the WBA title and last fought in November, defeating Mark Urvanov in four rounds. The WBA organization approved the fight for the vacant title after elevating Rolando Romero to the title of super champion.
Frank Sanchez vs. Richard Torrez Jr., heavyweight
Frank Sanchez (25-1, 18 KO), a 33-year-old Cuban known as “The Cuban Flash”, will fight undefeated American Richard Torrez Jr. for 10 rounds. (14-0, 12 KOs). The fight postponed the IBF heavyweight qualifying match originally scheduled for March 28, but was postponed after Sanchez suffered a knee injury. Torrez, a Tokyo Olympic silver medalist, goes up against the more experienced Sanchez in his class in a contender-prospect matchup that has weight in the division’s title picture.
Mizuki Hiruta vs. Mai Soliman for the WBO junior bantamweight title
Mizuki Hiruta (10-0), named The Ring’s female fighter of the year, defends her WBO junior bantamweight title for the seventh time against Egyptian-born Australian Mai Soliman (10-1) over 10 rounds. Hiruta (29) won the belt in her fourth professional fight and remains undefeated. Soliman fights in front of his home crowd.
Subtab
In the preliminary part, the lithe heavyweight fight Daniel Lapin (13-0) will face Benjamin Mendes Tani (9-1) over 10 rounds, and the regional championship belts will be at stake. Basem Mamdouh (10-2) meets Jamar Talley (6-0) in the cruiserweight division, and the remaining fights combine domestic and international prospects: Mahmoud Mobark against Michael Kalyalya, Omar Hikal against Ali Sserunkuma and Sultan Almohammed against Dedy Imprax.
Boxing
Usyk vs Verhoeven live scorecard, round by round coverage
Published
3 hours agoon
May 23, 2026
World Boxing News has live coverage from Egypt as Oleksandr Usyk takes on Rico Verhoeven in one of the most extraordinary heavyweight title fights in up-to-date boxing.
Unified heavyweight champion Aleksander Usyk tonight his WBA, WBC and IBF titles will be on the line against a kickboxing legend Rico Verhoeven under the pyramids in Giza.
This crossover clash sparked huge debate throughout boxing as Verhoeven entered the contest with only one professional boxing fight under his belt, despite years of experience in elite combat sports.
A win for Usyk will keep the Ukrainian undefeated and maintain control of the heavyweight division ahead of expected future clashes with Agit Kabayel and other top contenders.
However, the fight has strange title implications.
While Verhoeven is eligible to win the WBC heavyweight title if he wins, the WBA and IBF titles will become vacant under sanctions due to the Dutchman’s ranking status.
WBN provides a round-by-round live scoreboard below, as well as live results throughout the night.
Usyk vs Verhoeven scorecard
Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven fight
Fight for the WBA/WBC/IBF heavyweight title
Giza, Egypt
12×3
| Round | Usyk | Verhoeven |
|---|---|---|
| Round 1 | ||
| Round 2 | ||
| Round 3 | ||
| Round 4 | ||
| Round 5 | ||
| Round 6 | ||
| Round 7 | ||
| Round 8 | ||
| Round 9 | ||
| Round 10 | ||
| Round 11 | ||
| Round 12 | ||
| Totals: |
Official result:
Round by round notes
Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:
Round 4:
Round 5:
Round 6:
Round 7:
Round 8:
Round 9:
Round 10:
Round 11:
Round 12:
Announcement
Usyk enters the fight undefeated with a 24-0 record and is looking to further cement one of the best heavyweight resumes of the up-to-date era.
Opposite him is longtime GLORY kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven, who is currently taking on one of the boldest crossover challenges boxing has seen in years.
The fight has divided opinion across the sport, with some viewing it as a spectacle, others warning that Verhoeven’s size, athleticism and fighting experience could pose a real threat despite the huge gap in his boxing pedigree.
Usyk vs Verhoeven results will continue with live coverage available on World Boxing News.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.
Rico Verhoeven speaks out about the referee stopping Usyk’s fight one second before the end of the round
Glory in Giza Preview: Full Card List Usyk vs. Verhoeven
Usyk vs Verhoeven live scorecard, round by round coverage
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card


