Connect with us

Boxing

Boxing real or not: the future of Gervonta Davis, Teofimo-Shakur and more

Published

on

Gervonta “Tank” Davis is one of boxing’s best fighters and is only 30 years elderly, but he recently hinted at the possibility of retiring from the sport. “It’s close,” he said during an interview with Stephen A. Smith in February on “First Take.” Davis will face Jake Paul in an exhibition match on November 14, but what will happen next? Will he really retire?

With that in mind, Lamont Roach Jr., who fought Davis to a controversial majority draw on March 1, is no longer waiting for a rematch and is considering a fight with Davis’ former opponent, Isaac “Pitbull” Cruz. But how close is this fight?

WBO junior welterweight champion Teofimo Lopez Jr. and WBC lightweight champion Shakur Stevenson are challenging each other to a fight this year. Will there be a fight even though they have reached a verbal agreement?

Newly crowned undisputed super middleweight champion Terence Crawford has a decision to make after overtaking Canelo Alvarez on September 13 to win the titles. Will he stay at 168 pounds, move down to 154 pounds where he fought before Canelo, or will he explore the 160-pound division in search of a sixth-division title?

On November 22, on one of boxing’s best cards, featuring four title fights, Brian Norman Jr. defends the WBO welterweight title against Devin Haney. Will both fighters be looking to make a statement in Riyad, Saudi Arabia? Will the fight end in a knockout?

Andreas Hale answers these questions and more, separating what’s real from what’s not.


True or not: Gervonta Davis will fight again after her fight with Jake Paul

Not true. I hope I’m wrong about this, but Tank hasn’t seemed particularly interested in boxing lately and has been discussing it at length early retirement from sports. He has made it clear that he fights for financial gain and competing for an inheritance simply does not motivate him.

“After next year, I’m going to get out of it… out of the sport,” Davis said in an interview with Fight Hub TV before his majority draw with Roach. Rather than face Roach in an immediate rematch, Davis chose to fight the much larger Paul in an exhibition. A fight with Paul has been on his radar for a long time, and the huge payday that comes with it could see Davis retire peacefully. Or at least he could sit on the sidelines until an even bigger fight breaks out. Unfortunately, this means that fights against top boxers like Stevenson, Haney and Lopez won’t happen anytime soon. Perhaps a fight with Manny Pacquiao in 2026 would provide enough of a financial boost to encourage Davis to return to the ring. For now, it’s tough to imagine a fight motivating Davis to continue fighting after Paul.


Real or not: Teofimo Lopez Jr. in his next fight he will face Shakur Stevenson

True. Although the August fight between Lopez and Haney ended in a fiasco, the notion that Lopez avoids his opponents has been greatly exaggerated. People thought he was exaggerating when he called for a fight with Vasily Lomachenko. He rose to the occasion in 2020 and dethroned a great pound-for-pound competitor. He did the same in 2023 when he faced Josh Taylor. As for Stevenson, he was salivating, waiting for a huge name to call him out.

This fight has been joked about several times in recent weeks, and both fighters apparently agreed to it during the Canelo-Crawford post-fight press conference. ESPN spoke with Lopez at the press conference and he said he intended to fight Stevenson in early 2026.

Lopez and Stevenson know what’s at stake, as the winner not only climbs up the ladder pound-for-pound, but could also get a shot at a real box office title. Both have a lot to prove to the world and seem ready to settle their differences in the ring in one of the first huge fights of 2026.


Real or not: Terence Crawford’s next fight will be at 160 pounds

True…if he fights again. After defeating Canelo last month to become the first male fighter in the four-belt era to become undisputed champion in three weight classes, it’s tough to imagine what Crawford can do to secure an encore. People have been calling for Crawford to move up to featherlight heavyweight and fight WBC champion David Benavidez or WBO, IBF and WBA champion Dmitry Bivol, but even “Bud” knows his limits and was quick to reject the idea of ​​moving up in weight again. Crawford only moved up to super middleweight because he realized Canelo was a “compact” fighter at 168 pounds. Now that he has achieved what many thought was impossible, his super middleweight journey appears to be over. Getting back to 154 pounds would likely be a challenging task, but there is one weight class he has skipped. If he wants to fight for a world title in the sixth division, he could fight in the middleweight division.

The first thought is that there is no huge name 160-pound world champion as the current title holders are Carlos Adames (WBC), Erislandy Lara (WBA) and Janibek Alimkhanuly (WBO and IBF). It’s significant to remember, however, that in Crawford’s fight, right before Canelo, he faced Israil Madrimov – a champion, but not a huge name and a high-risk, low-reward opponent. If there’s a world title up for grabs and a chance to add to his legacy, Crawford’s interested. Additionally, given the time Crawford needs between fights, it’s possible a more tempting option will emerge or one of the middleweight champions will become undisputed. That being said, Crawford just celebrated his 38th birthday and won’t be around much longer. However, if he continues his boxing career, he will only go down in history.


Real or not: Lamont Roach Jr.’s next opponent. will be Isaac Cruz

True. Once it became clear that the proposed August rematch with Gervonta Davis was out of the question, Roach and his team went to work to secure the fight to build on the momentum he had gained in his March draw with Davis. ESPN learned that Roach was linked to a fight with Gabriel Flores, but it was never finalized. Sources tell ESPN that it is increasingly likely that Roach will face Davis’ former opponent, Pitbull Cruz. Sources tell ESPN there are still many details to work out before the fight becomes official, including the date, location and whether the fight will be powerful enough to headline PBC on Prime Video pay-per-view.

Sources also say both sides want the fight to take place before the end of the year, but dates and venues are narrow. The fight is scheduled for December, but other variables are unknown. If the fight is finalized, it would be the perfect matchup for Roach. Facing Davis’ former opponent will bring recognition and the matchup could provide fans with an electrifying fight.


Real or not: Brian Norman Jr.’s fight vs. Devin Haney will end by KO

Not true. It’s no secret that Norman has fight-altering power – 22 of his 28 wins have come by knockout, and his last three fights have gone the distance. However, Haney is much better than anyone Norman has faced in his career. While Haney’s performance against Ryan Garcia last year was challenging to watch, he got up from the wall three times in the match against Garcia – who was later fined and suspended post-fight for PED employ – and made it to the final bell in a loss that was rightly ruled a no-contest.

Haney’s reluctance to commit to his fight against Jose Ramirez in May may have people questioning whether the Garcia fight didn’t cause him irreversible damage. But Haney is a very, very good and technically sound boxer with a piercing jab, solid defense and great footwork. Norman will need to be fundamentally vigorous to earn a win, and chasing a knockout could result in Haney outclassing him. This will likely be a chess match with both players being cautious. It’s possible that one of them will hit the net, but I don’t see a scenario where referees wouldn’t be needed to determine the result.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Ronda Rousey’s Slam Goes Viral As Carano Fight Approaches

Published

on

By Boxing Insider Staff

Ronda Rousey returns to the cage Saturday night against Gina Carano at the Intuit Dome in Inglewood, California, in the main event of MVP MMA 1 on Netflix. In the days before the fight, a video of Rousey’s open training striking session became the dominant story of the fight week, and not in the way Most Valuable Promotions would portray it.

Footage of Rousey throwing punches in front of cameras spread widely on social media this week, sparking mockery from fans and players. One widely shared post on X claimed that Rousey “looks like she’s never done striking in her life” – a sentiment echoed across MMA and boxing accounts.

Rousey (39) told reporters during fight week that she started preparing for her 2024 return while pregnant. “I was about three months pregnant when my husband caught me doing suplexes in the garage,” she said, referring to former UFC heavyweight fighter Travis Browne. At Thursday’s press conference, Rousey was asked if she would hesitate to break Carano’s arm in the cage. “I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to break it,” she said. “But I wouldn’t hesitate to put it back in place either.”

Pioneer context

Receiving training videos is additional given Rousey’s place in combat sports history. She was the first fighter signed by the UFC, headlined UFC 157 against Liz Carmouche in February 2013 in the promotion’s first women’s fight, and retained the bantamweight title with six defenses. Her mainstream visibility, magazine covers, ESPY Awards and Hollywood roles are widely credited with making women’s MMA a mainstream product.

This visibility extended beyond MMA. The infrastructure and audience that Rousey helped build for women’s combat sports in the mid-2010s preceded the commercial growth of women’s professional boxing seen since then, an era that produced Katie Taylor, Claressa Shields, Amanda Serrano and the first women’s main events at Madison Square Garden and on stadium-level boxing cards.

Mayweather Cycle

The viral clips also bring back memories of one of the strangest promotional cycles in the recent history of combat sports media. In 2014 and 2015, when Rousey was at the peak of her UFC career, the question of whether she could beat Floyd Mayweather circulated in interviews, talk shows and sports columns for the better part of two years.

The framing was usually pushed by others, not Rousey herself. UFC President Dana White has said publicly that Rousey will hurt Mayweather in the fight. Conor McGregor said in 2015 that Rousey would “dismantle him in seconds.” Rousey, when asked directly during an August 2015 Reddit AMA if she could beat Mayweather, gave a more measured answer. “Floyd is one of the greatest boxers of all time,” she said. “He would definitely beat me in a boxing match. Unfortunately, I don’t like ‘matches’. I’m fighting for my life.” She added that in a fight without rules, she believed she could beat anyone, as ESPN reported at the time.

The boxing-specific version of the question of whether Rousey could compete with a pound-for-pound boxer of her generation was largely a media and promotional construct. Mayweather closed the 2015 ESPYs himself, telling reporters that he had never seen an MMA fighter earn that much in one fight.

Saturday night

Rousey enters the Carano fight with a 12-2 record in professional MMA, and last fought in December 2016 when she was stopped by Amanda Nunes in 48 seconds. Carano (7-1) hasn’t fought since 2009. The fight lasts five rounds in the 145-pound featherweight limit. Nate Diaz and Mike Perry will be the co-main event, with Francis Ngannou and Philipe Lins also appearing on the main card. according to ESPN’s card breakdown.

This fight is billed as the last professional appearance of both women. Whatever happens in the cage, the reaction to a few seconds of glove work this week is a data set on how much the conversation around women’s combat sports has changed, a conversation Rousey was instrumental in starting in the decade since her name appeared alongside Mayweather’s.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Tony Bellew calls Rico Verhoeven a ‘problem’ for Usyk

Published

on

Image: Tony Bellew Says Rico Verhoeven Is “A Problem” For Oleksandr Usyk

Tony Bellew believes Rico Verhoeven could give Oleksandr Usyk some awkward moments early in the fight, but he still expects the undefeated heavyweight champion to eventually work him out once the fight turns into a boxing match. Bellew also warned that Verhoeven’s kickboxing background makes him much more hazardous than many boxing fans realize.

“If this was a kickboxing match, I’m telling you, Oleksandr would be in huge trouble. Don’t kick him,” Bellew told DAZN Boxing. “Fortunately for Oleksandr Usyk, this is a boxing fight. I think once the first three or four rounds pass and Oleksandr Usyk sees the awkwardness, the attitude and the style, I think Rico may have a night of tough work ahead of him.”

“Rico Verhoeven is a problem. He is a problem and we don’t really know much about him from a boxing point of view. We don’t really know anything. He had one fight and you can’t get anything out of it at all. His kickboxing experience tells you an awful lot.

Bellew said during an interview leading up to the Usyk-Verhoeven fight that Verhoeven’s unconventional style could create arduous moments before Usyk starts making changes.


“You would forgive him for thinking this guy was a kickboxer. I won’t have to be 100% ready to beat this guy like Tyson Fury thought he was against Francis Ngannou,” Bellew said. “Or maybe he’ll take the Anthony Joshua approach where you go in there and say, ‘This is a grave fight. I’ve got to get rid of him.’

“I don’t think he’ll be taken lightly. Usyk is a consummate professional. He’s a conscientious professional. You’ll never catch this guy sleeping. You have to get out of bed really, really early to catch him.”

Bellew still made it clear that he sees Usyk eventually taking control once he gathers enough information during the fight.

“I think this fight will be very invigorating for six, seven, maybe eight rounds. I think Oleksandr will take a look at Rico. He will see what he is doing. He will find out what the feints will do to him and which side he will take him on.”

“Once he’s got it all, he’ll get rid of Verhoeven. He’ll just have too much and that’s the end of it. He’s doing the same to everyone else,” Bellew said.

Youtube video

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Oleksandr Usyk, Tony Bellew

Last updated: 18/05/2026 at 23:10

Continue Reading

Boxing

Coach Robert Garcia summarizes Errol Spence’s chances of beating Tim Tszyu after a 3-year break

Published

on

Trainer Robert Garcia sums up Errol Spence’s chances of beating Tim Tszyu after 3 years out

Robert Garcia doubts whether Errol Spence Jr will be able to rediscover the qualities that made him one of the “best players” in the sport from 2019 to 2022.

“The Truth” was once considered the top 10-pound-for-pound operator when he dethroned Shawn Porter and Yordenis Ugas to unify the WBC, IBF and WBA welterweight titles

Around this time, many even predicted he would beat Terence Crawford, and only he did they lost their uncontested clash after a one-sided stoppage in the ninth round in 2023

Spence has remained out of the ring since then, but now plans to revive his career with a fight against Tim Tszyu, a former world champion, on July 25.

The pair will face off in Australia at the 158-pound catchweight, and Tszyu will have the home advantage as he too looks to reclaim his place on the world stage.

His last appearance at the world level ended with a defeat in the seventh round against Sebastian Fundora, who ended their first meeting in 2024 with a split decision.

That same year, Tszyu came close to a devastating third-round victory over Bakhram Murtazaliev, but is now coming off back-to-back victories following his rematch with Fundora last July.

Spence, on the other hand, seems to be taking quite a risk by jumping right into a perceived 50/50 conflict, with top coach Garcia telling him: ESNEWS that the 36-year-old would be forgiven for taking a “preparatory fight”.

“Errol Spence was a damn tough guy – one of the best players.

“When he fought Crawford, you could tell it wasn’t the Errol Spence we were used to, he didn’t look good at all.

“Three years later, he wants to return to boxing – and he has no intention of starting [with] tuning fight. I think he doesn’t know what’s left for him and if he improves the situation he could get his ass kicked.

– That’s probably why [made] decision to directly enter into a fight with Tim Tszyu. If he’s fresh and good, he can win.

As Garcia points out, there is no way to know how much Spence has left due to inactivity, which is a immense part of what makes this such an intriguing matchup with Tszyu.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending