Boxing
Frank Sanchez predicts an explosive war with Daniel Dubois
Published
8 months agoon
Frank Sanchez predicts his IBF heavyweight title eliminator fight against Daniel Dubois “explosive” one. October 22 was the deadline for “Dynamite” Dubois (22-3, 21 KO) and the Cuban Sanchez (25-1, 18 KO) to agree on the terms.
The IBF ordered both fighters to fight to determine the next mandatory challenger to the title of champion Oleksandr Usyk. Both players agreed to participate in the IBF qualifiers.
Four heavyweight fighters who said no
Dubois, 28, shows courage by agreeing to fight Sanchez, which all four prominent fighters have refused:
- Moses will bite
- Filip Hrgovic
- Leaflet
- Richard Torrez Jr.
We don’t know why everyone decided not to fight Sanchez, but it could be that they or their promoters saw how risky a punch the Cuban was and decided it wasn’t worth the risk.
Watching two or three rounds of Sanchez’s recent fight against Agit Kabayel would be enough to deter many fighters and their managers from selecting him.
Even as the Eddy Reynoso-trained Sanchez struggled with a knee brace on his right leg, he still landed plenty of powerful shots that would have knocked out many, if not all, heavyweights in the division with the exception of Kabayel.
Boxing expert, Mike Coppinger, later revealed that Sanchez was successful right knee arthroscopy a month after losing to Kabayel in June 2024 in Miami, Florida.
“The operation went perfectly, and Frank should be back training in three months,” Sanchez’s co-manager Mike Borao told ESPN.
Sanchez has had a year to strengthen his surgically repaired right knee, and he already had one fight earlier this year, a knockout Ramon Olivas Echeverria in the third round on February 22, 2025.
“I have to beat him to fulfill my dream of becoming the first Cuban heavyweight champion in history,” said Frank Sanchez Heavenly sports about his possible fight with Daniel Dubois. “Our styles will make the fight very thrilling and explosive, you’ll see!”
A better version of Itaum
Imagine a better version of Moses Itauma, one who throws combinations with the same force as his own and doesn’t rely on potshots or avoiding contact to win fights. Sanchez is a nightmare for everyone, especially the players who have repeatedly given up when the going gets tough.
Dubois taking this fight could be read as desperation on his part because it is risky. Sanchez is incredibly quick, powerful and has a punching combination that doesn’t match Dubois.
On July 19, 2025, at Wembley Stadium in London, Dubois, promoted by Queensberry, loses by knockout in the fifth round to the then WBA, WBC and WBO heavyweight champion, Oleksandr Usyk.
Dubois looked mismatched from the start and was dominated by the highly skilled Usyk. In the fifth round, Dubois was eliminated twice. After the second knockdown, Daniel was counted out. Many boxing fans thought Dubois had given up as he looked around the crowd while taking the count.
“I hope the negotiations go well and we can take this fight in the UK, Saudi Arabia, the US, wherever, as long as it is taken. I will be well prepared with Eddy Reynoso in my corner,” said Sanchez.
Dubois’ career hangs in the balance
Another defeat for Dubois could spell the end for the British heavyweight as he will no longer stand a chance. It is not enough for a player to be ambitious. If they lack the beard or mental toughness to stay on the front lines among other soldiers, they would be better off leaving and focusing on something else.
If Dubois loses this fight, it could be game over for him. How will Queensberry rebuild it after consecutive knockouts? Would it even be worth it? Dubois would be better off fighting in Dana White’s Zuffa Boxing league, where he won’t have to fight top heavyweights like Sanchez.
Olly Campbell has been covering boxing since 2010 and writing for Boxing News 24 since 2014. He has been based in the UK and currently covers the world boxing scene, providing fight news, results and features that allow fans to hear the biggest stories in the sport.
With a background in reporting from the UK and Europe, Olly has developed a style that combines piercing analysis with accessible writing, making his work valuable to dedicated followers and casual fans alike. His reports consistently highlight champions, challengers and emerging prospects on the global stage.
Last update: 10/09/2025
You may like
Boxing
Vasily Lomachenko will get an immediate chance to win the world title in his comeback fight
Published
58 seconds agoon
May 24, 2026
Vasily Lomachenko can win the world title outright, but only if he decides to fight at 130 pounds.
Either way, the 38-year-old is expected to return to action later this year after his contract with Top Rank expired earlier this month.
As a promotional free agent, “Loma” is expected to fight for the first time since May 2024, when he earned an 11th-round victory over George Kambosos Jr.
Lomachenko thus won the IBF lightweight title after previously being a three-division world champion, with his last 10 professional appearances coming at 135 pounds.
While many expect him to return to lightweight, perhaps in pursuit of a showdown with Gervonta Davis, the Ukrainian could potentially be tempted by a chance at 130 pounds.
In other words, he will get an immediate shot at the world title against unified champion Emanuel Navarrete, who is falling from a dominant position Final in the 11th round against Eduardo “Sugar” Nunez.
This, in turn, led to the unification of the WBO and IBF titles, although it is unclear what options the Mexican is considering for his next fight.
However, one of them may be a fight with Lomachenko, and WBO president Gustavo Olivieri will share his thoughts on this matter via social media.
“Lomachenko is back and if he wants to fight at 130 pounds with Navarrete, I’m sure the WBO Executive Committee [will approve their fight].
“In delicate of his professional merits – [two-time] Olympic [gold] medalist, multi-division champion, WBO super champion, future Hall of Famer – I’m sure the acceptance will be unanimous.”
WBO President Gustavo Olivieri reiterated that should Team Loma formally pursue a head-to-head fight against Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete, the matter would be seriously considered by the Executive Committee, given Lomachenko’s legacy as a three-division WBO world champion and one of… pic.twitter.com/ZJy3qTcU3P
— WBO (@WorldBoxingOrg) May 21, 2026
While a fight with Lomachenko could make sense for both sides, super featherweight contender Charly Suarez will be demanding a mandatory shot against Navarrete if he makes his next fight against Manuel Avila on July 11.
Author: Sean Crose
When I was a teenage man growing up in Waterbury, Connecticut, in the 1970s and 1980s, sports were king. It seemed like every kid in the neighborhood played on the basketball or baseball team. Fathers, perhaps disappointed that their dreams had not come true, could actually be harsh with their sons and daughters. As a teenage man in Waterbury, I played sports too, but what I loved…what I really loved…was boxing. The problem, of course, was that my mother wouldn’t let me box at the local boys club. If I wanted to box, I had to watch it on TV.
Which I did constantly every chance I got. I really wanted to see boxing live, but as a child my father wasn’t too keen on me being part of the very adult boxing audience. There was no live boxing in Waterbury either. It just wasn’t there. You would think so. Waterbury was a tough town, but unfortunately there was no way to watch professional fights live and in person. Willie Pep once had about 20,000 people in Waterbury Municipal Stadium, but that was long before I was born. There were a lot of boxing fans in Waterbury, but not a lot of boxing fans.
Fortunately, everything will change soon, because on June 6, professional boxing will finally return to Waterbury, and Mike “The Savage” Kimbel will be the main character of the gala at the legendary Palace Theater. To make things even more compelling, Kimbel is from Waterbury himself, so he’ll be performing for a hometown crowd. Of course, the youngster has a lot to lose, but the local player is confident.
“The intensity is still high,” he tells me when I ask how he’s doing as training comes to an end. Originally, one of the opponents was supposed to face Kimbel, but it didn’t work out that way. “He became just like a ghost,” Kimbel says. Fortunately, a up-to-date opponent will step in, which will be good for the teenage athlete hoping to impress his hometown fans.
“I feel amazing,” Kimbel says of the Waterbury fight. He also admitted that the June 6 card was associated with “a bit of the word ‘I told you so’.” Like many teenage children growing up in hard cities and towns, Kimbel had hard times. Suffice it to say, his mother was not joyful with the direction her son’s life was heading.
“My mom was fed up with it,” Kimbel says. Determined to keep her son straight and narrow, Kimbel’s mother took him to the gym. “It kept me out of trouble,” he says. And then some. Kimbel first made a name for himself in mixed martial arts, becoming a Bellator fighter. Eventually, however, he found himself in the squared circle he had always dreamed of.
“It was supposed to be overtime,” he says of his real-life experience in the ring. Needless to say, he fell in love with the sport. “I have always been a huge boxing fan,” he says. Indeed, Kimbel believes that his time in mixed martial arts has done him good. “It carried over,” he tells me. It certainly seems to be the case. Kimbel’s movements in the ring are characterized by natural fluidity. He has an excellent jab that allows him to unleash a powerful law.
However, Kimbel makes it clear that his boxing endeavors are about more than just glory. “I started it for my son,” he says. He also spends time with younger players through the Police Athletic League. “You can see the change in their eyes,” he says of how children, like he once did, began to become familiar with the sport.
While his upcoming performance in Waterbury is satisfying in its own right, Kimbel still feels he still has a lot of growing to do as a professional boxer. “History is still being written,” he says.
Boxing
Rico Verhoeven doesn’t need a rematch – he needed one more second
Published
4 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
Rico Verhoeven doesn’t need a rematch with Oleksandr Usyk because boxing has already taken away from him what he really deserved in Egypt.
Not heavyweight titles. Not a victory. Not even official recognition on the scorecards.
Verhoeven earned the right to hear the bell ring at the Pyramids after pushing the unified heavyweight champion much harder than almost anyone expected.
That moment was taken from him with a second left.
Usyk clearly didn’t prepare to the best of his ability and looked musclebound as he struggled through long stretches of the competition. However, turning him on for the last few rounds and hoping he had enough left in the tank to stop the tiring Verhoeven was certainly not part of the game plan.
The Ukrainian looked genuinely shocked at how Verhoeven was able to maneuver around the ring in such an unconventional way that he repeatedly prevented Usyk from gaining any rhythm.
As detailed in WBN’s live coverage from Giza, Verhoeven frustrated Usyk from the first round and never allowed the champion to fully take control.
Even when Usyk finally succeeded in the underbelly and started hurting Verhoeven towards the end, the Dutchman still survived, recovered and made the fight awkward enough to keep the fight hanging in the balance.
Verhoeven was seriously injured at the end of the eleventh set, but giving him that one minute to recover was the least he could pay for his fortitude and determination.
Mark Lyson’s decision
Therefore, referee Mark Lyson’s decision will remain a long-debated topic of the event.
Lyson is usually one of the better referees in boxing and is rarely controversial. This time, however, he must seriously consider the decision to stop the fight.
The official time of the eleventh round is 2:59. In fact, I thought it was at least 3:01 because the bell had already rung before Lyson had fully entered the action.
Verhoeven got back to his feet. He was prepared to continue and was a second away from hearing the bell ending the final round.
He fully deserved this opportunity.
Instead, the ending immediately reopened familiar accusations that boxing protects its own when outside forces threaten the established order.
As detailed in WBN’s post-fight report, the controversy only intensified as Verhoeven appeared to be ahead on multiple unofficial cards entering the championship rounds.
WBN had Rico Verhoeven leading 97-93 after ten rounds and 105-103 after eleven, even including the knockdown.
However, both the live WBC scorecards read in the arena and the WBA scorecards revealed after the fight in which Verhoeven did not win.
That says a lot.
There is no need for a rematch with Usyk
As for the rematch, there’s really no point.
Usyk would almost certainly have prepared better for the second fight and would likely have stopped Verhoeven in the first half of the fight once he was fully accustomed to the movement and rhythm that surprised him in Egypt.
That intrigue is now over and Usyk has his mandatory duties behind him.
Boxing had a chance to adapt to another combat sports star who went far beyond his comfort zone and exceeded almost all expectations placed on him.
Instead, the sport turned what should have been a remarkable crossover success into another evening dominated by controversy, debates over results and accusations of protectionism surrounding one of boxing’s biggest stars.
Verhoeven may never officially receive the recognition many believe he deserves. But he also doesn’t need a rematch to confirm what happened.
For ten rounds under the pyramids, Rico Verhoeven proved that he was there. This should be enough.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.
Vasily Lomachenko will get an immediate chance to win the world title in his comeback fight
Fabio Wardley vs. Daniel Dubois • FULL WEIGH IN & FACE OFF | DAZN Boxing
“STOPPED AFTER THE BELL! WE WILL APPEAL” Rico Verhoeven FUMES Over Controversial Oleksandr Usyk KO
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card


