Connect with us

Boxing

Shakhram Giyasov claims Rolly Romero is avoiding him

Published

on

Image: Shakhram Giyasov Says Rolly Romero Is Avoiding Him

Shakhram Giyasov believes Rolando “Rolly” Romero has avoided fighting him for the past seven months after the WBA ordered a welterweight title fight in October.

Instead of continuing to wait for Romero, Giyasov will fight Jack Catterall for the WBA “regular” welterweight belt this Saturday, May 23 in Egypt. Romero hasn’t fought since defeating Ryan Garcia to win the WBA welterweight title last year, and he has never progressed in putting together a structured defense against Giyasov.


“Who is this? I don’t know him,” Giyasov told The Ring when asked about Rolly.

“If you win on Saturday, do you think he still won’t want to fight you?” – Giyasov said in an interview.

“I don’t know. “I think he’s afraid of me” Giyasov said.

The undefeated Uzbek contender has been steadily climbing the rankings over the years, but has struggled to secure fights at 147 pounds. The fight with Catterall gives him a chance to finally leave the mandatory position and win a secondary version of the WBA title.

Catterall moved up to welterweight earlier this year after competing at 140 pounds for most of his career. The fight will be part of Saturday’s gala in Cairo, the main event of which will be the fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven.

The Giyasova-Catterall winner could be closer to a future clash with Romero if the WBA ultimately pushes for title consolidation.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Latest

Last update: 21/05/2026 at 12:12

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Derek Chisora ​​Names Heavyweight Who Will Beat Usyk: ‘I’m Telling You’

Published

on

Derek Chisora names the heavyweight who will beat Usyk: “I’m telling you”

In recent fights, Oleksandr Usyk was undefeated, widely considered the number one heavyweight, with few threats. Former opponent Derek Chisora, however, believes there is one man who will soon end the Ukrainian’s reign.

Usyk announced that he has three fights left in the sport this weekend’s title defense against Dutch kickboxing star Rico Verhoevenwho boasts a professional boxing record of just 1-0.

Fans are eager to see Usyk take on those he hasn’t faced before in his next fights, with mandatory WBC title challenger Agit Kabayel and 21-year-old wunderkind Moses Itauma being the Ukrainian’s toughest potential opponents.

Although in an interview for talkSPORT BoxingChisora ​​believes Usyk is on the verge of suffering his first professional defeat and predicts Verhoeven will beat him this weekend.

“I think Usyk will lose this fight in Egypt, I’m telling you.”

“I’m not trying to advance, I’m telling you, he will beat Usyk.”

I’m just saying that the kickboxer will win, then we’ll see a rematch, and then [that Agit Kabayel] he will get a chance for the title, he will be 45 years elderly [years old]”

If Chisora’s unlikely prediction comes true, it will be one of the biggest upsets in sports history and will almost certainly lead to a rematch between the two teams.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Richard Torrez Jr. he says the fight with Sanchez shows his skills

Published

on

Image: Richard Torrez Jr. Says Frank Sanchez Fight Will Showcase His Boxing

Richard Torrez Jr. says he expects his pressure and fitness to be a major factor in Saturday’s match against Frank Sanchez in Egypt. Torrez believes Sanchez is unsafe early in the match, especially with his jab and counter right hand, but believes the fight becomes increasingly challenging for the Cuban as the rounds go on.

“I think Frank is great at putting you to sleep. He gives you one jab, that one jab, and then he throws two really swift and difficult jabs. I have to pay attention to that,” Torrea Jr. said. in an interview with Sport Boxing.

“I think the difference between me and Frank is that Frank has a one-shot chance, and if he doesn’t, it’s going to be a terrible fight for him. For me, it’s that pressure. It’s perseverance, and as the rounds go on, that’s where I make my money.”

Torrez also said the fight could give him a chance to show more of his boxing skills, rather than just being seen as an aggressive, pressure fighter. The undefeated heavyweight added that he sees himself as part of a modern generation that will take the American heavyweight division forward.


“I think Frank has a great opportunity for me to showcase my boxing skills better because I need to bring them out. I’m very excited for this fight to show that I can really box too,” Torrez Jr. said.

“The heavyweight division is very volatile right now. You never know who’s going to be on top. It seems to change every month. I really want to put us in the US and say we’re here to stay, too.”

Later in the interview, Torrez praised Oleksandr Usyk as a role model for smaller heavyweights and welcomed the idea of ​​a future fight with Moses Itauma.

“Oleksandr Usyk was definitely a role model for me as well. He really knocked on the door of a lot of smaller heavyweights,” Torrez Jr. said.

“I think so [Moses Itauma] he is a great fighter. He’s swift, he’s swift, he has amazing capabilities, but again, I don’t think he’s fought a fighter like me.”

In closing, Torrez made it clear how highly he rates himself heading into the biggest fight of his professional career.

“I’m extremely confident in my abilities. I wouldn’t be in this game anymore if I didn’t think I was the best. I believe I’m the best in boxing and I’m here to prove it,” Torrez Jr. said.

Youtube video

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Latest

Last updated: May 21, 2026 at 1:59 am

Continue Reading

Boxing

Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on the weight they will fight at: “What are we waiting for?”

Published

on

Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on what weight they would fight at: “What are we waiting for?”

Even though the weight limit was previously a major point of contention in the fight between Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia, the two currently appear to be on the same side.

Stevenson easily defeated Teofimo Lopez in January win the WBO super-lightweight title and become a four-division world champion at the age of just 28, which will see him move up the pound-for-pound rankings.

Since then, Stevenson has been linked to numerous fights, perhaps none bigger than Ryan Garcia, but the Newark fighter maintained that he either wanted to fight at the 144-pound catchweight or wanted a hydration clause in any fight up to 147 pounds.

But speaking further ESPN’s “First Take” Garcia revealed that he was informed by his team that he would be able to move up to Stevenson’s division in the fight for the super lightweight world titles.

“My strength and conditioning coach thinks and believes that I can easily make 140 pounds. I trust the people on my team, if the opportunity arises, I would love to fight Shakur.”

This may be wishful thinking, as Garcia’s last attempt at breaking the super lightweight weight limit was against Devin Haney in 2023, when he tipped the scales by 3 pounds.

Regardless, Stevenson was quick to respond on social media, very willing to take up the challenge.

“So what are we waiting for? Let’s get vigorous, Ryan Garcia.”

While a Stevenson-Garcia fight would be a huge event, the Californian is expected to remain at welterweight to fulfill his WBC mandatory against Conor Benn, whom he announced he will fight in September.

It leaves options for Stevenson, who also has his eye on Devin Haney, who needs a promotion, and Raymond Muratalla, which would mean a return to lightweight. Ultimately, he may decide to stay at 140 pounds to defend his WBO belt.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending