Connect with us

Boxing

World champion Canelo’s opponent confirmed ahead of comeback fight: ‘Deal done’

Published

on

Canelo’s world champion opponent confirmed for comeback fight: “Done deal”

Canelo Alvarez’s opponent revealed ahead of his return to the ring.

Canelo last saw action in September suffered a sad defeat against Terence Crawford at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, losing the undisputed super middleweight crown in the process.

Crawford retired shortly after the fight, which meant that the world titles became fragmented as different fighters began to grab the belts.

Earlier this year it was announced that Alvarez was set to return to action in September, and now it has been announced that he will have the opportunity to face one of the newly crowned world champions.

According to the RingCanelo will face WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli.

“BREAKING: Canelo Alvarez and Christian Mbilli are under contract to fight in Riyad in September for the WBC super middleweight championship, @ringmagazine has learned. Canelo enters a sedate fight in his first fight since losing to Terence Crawford. What an action-packed fight!”

Undefeated star Mbilli was previously the WBC interim super middleweight champion, and in his last two fights in June 2025, he defeated Maciej Sulecki by first-round stoppage before drawing Lester Martinez three months later.

Despite this draw, he was later promoted from interim status to full WBC champion, and in recent weeks he has made it clear that he is keen on a showdown with Canelo.

Mbilli will now get his wish as two of the top fighters in the 168-pound weight class prepare to clash later this year.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Richard Torrez Jr. he says the fight with Sanchez shows his skills

Published

on

Image: Richard Torrez Jr. Says Frank Sanchez Fight Will Showcase His Boxing

Richard Torrez Jr. says he expects his pressure and fitness to be a major factor in Saturday’s match against Frank Sanchez in Egypt. Torrez believes Sanchez is unsafe early in the match, especially with his jab and counter right hand, but believes the fight becomes increasingly challenging for the Cuban as the rounds go on.

“I think Frank is great at putting you to sleep. He gives you one jab, that one jab, and then he throws two really swift and difficult jabs. I have to pay attention to that,” Torrea Jr. said. in an interview with Sport Boxing.

“I think the difference between me and Frank is that Frank has a one-shot chance, and if he doesn’t, it’s going to be a terrible fight for him. For me, it’s that pressure. It’s perseverance, and as the rounds go on, that’s where I make my money.”

Torrez also said the fight could give him a chance to show more of his boxing skills, rather than just being seen as an aggressive, pressure fighter. The undefeated heavyweight added that he sees himself as part of a modern generation that will take the American heavyweight division forward.


“I think Frank has a great opportunity for me to showcase my boxing skills better because I need to bring them out. I’m very excited for this fight to show that I can really box too,” Torrez Jr. said.

“The heavyweight division is very volatile right now. You never know who’s going to be on top. It seems to change every month. I really want to put us in the US and say we’re here to stay, too.”

Later in the interview, Torrez praised Oleksandr Usyk as a role model for smaller heavyweights and welcomed the idea of ​​a future fight with Moses Itauma.

“Oleksandr Usyk was definitely a role model for me as well. He really knocked on the door of a lot of smaller heavyweights,” Torrez Jr. said.

“I think so [Moses Itauma] he is a great fighter. He’s swift, he’s swift, he has amazing capabilities, but again, I don’t think he’s fought a fighter like me.”

In closing, Torrez made it clear how highly he rates himself heading into the biggest fight of his professional career.

“I’m extremely confident in my abilities. I wouldn’t be in this game anymore if I didn’t think I was the best. I believe I’m the best in boxing and I’m here to prove it,” Torrez Jr. said.

Youtube video

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Latest

Last updated: May 21, 2026 at 1:59 am

Continue Reading

Boxing

Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on the weight they will fight at: “What are we waiting for?”

Published

on

Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on what weight they would fight at: “What are we waiting for?”

Even though the weight limit was previously a major point of contention in the fight between Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia, the two currently appear to be on the same side.

Stevenson easily defeated Teofimo Lopez in January win the WBO super-lightweight title and become a four-division world champion at the age of just 28, which will see him move up the pound-for-pound rankings.

Since then, Stevenson has been linked to numerous fights, perhaps none bigger than Ryan Garcia, but the Newark fighter maintained that he either wanted to fight at the 144-pound catchweight or wanted a hydration clause in any fight up to 147 pounds.

But speaking further ESPN’s “First Take” Garcia revealed that he was informed by his team that he would be able to move up to Stevenson’s division in the fight for the super lightweight world titles.

“My strength and conditioning coach thinks and believes that I can easily make 140 pounds. I trust the people on my team, if the opportunity arises, I would love to fight Shakur.”

This may be wishful thinking, as Garcia’s last attempt at breaking the super lightweight weight limit was against Devin Haney in 2023, when he tipped the scales by 3 pounds.

Regardless, Stevenson was quick to respond on social media, very willing to take up the challenge.

“So what are we waiting for? Let’s get vigorous, Ryan Garcia.”

While a Stevenson-Garcia fight would be a huge event, the Californian is expected to remain at welterweight to fulfill his WBC mandatory against Conor Benn, whom he announced he will fight in September.

It leaves options for Stevenson, who also has his eye on Devin Haney, who needs a promotion, and Raymond Muratalla, which would mean a return to lightweight. Ultimately, he may decide to stay at 140 pounds to defend his WBO belt.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Manny Robles says the fight against Mbilli won’t be simple for Canelo

Published

on

Image: Mbilli vs. Martinez Poised to Eclipse the Headliner with Non-Stop Action on Saturday

Canelo Alvarez will not take a pliable fight to Christian Mbilli, says trainer Manny Robles, who believes the undefeated contender will cause the Mexican star earnest problems in September.

This week, Robles shared his thoughts on the Sept. 12 fight while in Egypt, where he warned that WBC super middleweight champion Mbilli would have to give Canelo a tough test after a year outside the ring.


“Canelo won’t take an simple fight, right? And Mbilli is not a pushover. Yes. Yes. And Mbilli is a very, very good fighter. Tough, come forward. I believe Canelo will definitely have his hands full. But Canelo is Canelo. You know, definitely one of the best fighters in the world,” Robles told Ring Magazine.

Robles stopped compact of picking a winner, but his comments echo concerns some fans have expressed about Canelo returning to fight an aggressive, high-pressure fighter after a year out of the ring following his loss to Terence Crawford last September.

Mbilli (29-0-1, 24 KO) built his reputation on constant pressure, strenuous striking and 168-pound physical strength. The undefeated contender has also been publicly calling for a fight with Canelo for over a year, repeatedly saying he believes the time is right.

The September fight is expected to be the main event of the season in Riyad, Saudi Arabia. Canelo, 35, will enter the fight looking to avoid a second straight defeat after a loss to Crawford interrupted his recent run at the top.

Youtube video

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Canelo Alvarez

Last updated: 20/05/2026 at 22:19

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending