Boxing
Victory over Fernando Vargas Jr. can shape the Callum Walsh career
Published
11 months agoon
Teddy Atlas gives Callum Walsh an advantage against Fernando Vargas Jr. In the 10-round fight on the younger average weight in the amount of Undercard Canelo Alvarez vs. Terenka Crawford on Saturday evening, September 13.
Unverified talents in the spotlight
Atlas likes the speed and amateur pedigree that Walsh (14-0, 11 KO) has for him in this fight with Vargas Jr. (17-0, 15 KO). He notes, however, that none of these fighters “was in deep waters” against challenging opposition. They are perspectives and part of the Turk’s idea Alalshikha to load a failed card with “hungry” fighters who receive a chance to see.
Fans overlooked the Walsh-Vargas Jr. And they focused on one half-gemia on the undercard between pretenders about supercreenists Christian Mbilli and Lester Martinez.
“None of these guys were in deep waters. They are both undefeated and they are both carefully built,” said Atlas on his Teddy YouTube Channel, talking about Callum Walsh vs. Fernando Vargas Jr. On Saturday evening in Las Vegas. “They were not yet unsafe places and it is essential that after reaching this place you have the memory you have previously been in this area.”
Atlas raises a good right about Walsh and Vargas Jr. that they were not tested against high -quality opposition before. As he notes, they were “carefully” matched because they did not show the type of abilities that indicate that they are able to post 154-pound 154-pound, such as Sebastian Fund, Jaron Ennis or Vergil Ortiz Jr., whether it matters.
Stepping stone to fame
Walsh seems to fight at the subordinate level and does not look ready to fight the 15 best fighters in the 154-pound division. He still receives a concert of the factor of this card, but he did nothing to deserve this place in the Saturday event. He will be seen by many hardcore and free boxing fans. The idea is for Walsh to look like 24 -carat gold against Vargas Jr. to attach to the fans into transforming him into a star in the game in the Zuff boxing league.
“Both are still incomplete. Vargas did not have a lot of amateur origin, just like his father. Walsh has better amateur origin, and this is essential. Walsh has a better hand speed than Vargas. None of them is striking, which is suggested by their records, because they were placed there with carefully selected opponents. This is one thing that throws guys from a lower level, but you can do it higher level? “
Walsh’s record as an amateur in Ireland is 44-9, but he did not fight the latest talents from around the world. He fought mainly in Dublin, Ireland. His opposition is lacking as a professional. He has not fought significant fighters since Turning Pro in 2021.
Walsh is juvenile enough to continue to develop as a professional, but he did not show what power suggests that he could compete with the opposition at the highest level level. Considering that Walsh is expected to be part of the boxing league Dana White, he may not have to worry about fighting sharks at the age of 154.
The last opponents of Callum Walsh
- Elias swords
- Dean Sutherland
- Przemyslaw Runowski
- Carlos Ortiz Cervantes
- Darenox
Interestingly, Vargas Jr. He is seen as a step to Walsh, which shows how carefully he was matched. Vargas Jr. He is not a world warrior and is perceived by many fans as the son of the former world champion Fernando Vargas.
The one who received the most buzz from fans is Emiliano Vargas. None of the sons was tailored to the high -level opposition. Vargas Jr. He is an ideal opponent of Walsh to gain popularity among random boxing fans in the boxing Zuff Dan White. Without Walsh with a fight, it’s best to get 154, his chances of becoming a huge name are confined.
“I give Walsh a slight advantage because of his speed. There are still flaws in both of their games because they are still working,” said Atlas.
Vargas Jr. He will turn 29 on November 8 and he is age there to be perceived as a “perspective”. He is not in the top 15 best, but from the way he looked at the opposition of the second level he faced, he is unlikely to become the world champion.
Fernando Jr. He can take advantage of being the son of the renowned retired former two -time world champion Fernando Vargas to earn good money on it.
Attaching to the boxing league Dany White can act in favor of Vargas JR, because he would fight for confined competition in the league.
He would not have to deal with talents at the age of 154, such as Bakhram Murtazaliev, Jaron Ennis, Vergil Ortiz Jr. or Abass Baraou. The same applies to Walsh. Whether this league will ever start like UFC is highly doubtful because fans would see it similarly with the Arena football in relation to NFL.
In my opinion, the boxing league modeled on the UFC model will not work. Fans could see it as second -cycle fighters, guys are not good enough to cut it among the best at the world level. Callum Walsh and Fernando Vargas Jr. They fit perfectly into this league.
Dan Ambrose was a leading voice in Boxing News 24 For years, known for his senseless sport. Love or hate him, Dan built forceful supporters thanks to his straightforward analysis, direct opinions and a thorough report from the global boxing scene.
His articles often cause a debate among fans because he is not afraid to question popular narratives or performances of fighters. In addition to his opinion, Dan provides messages, preview and failure after the fight, which give readers both details and perspective.
Last updated 09/08/2025
You may like
Boxing
Carl Froch Claims One Welterweight Champion Could Have Stopped Terence Crawfords Unbeaten Streak
Published
24 hours agoon
August 16, 2026
Terence Crawford faced and defeated 42 different opponents during a 17-year career, but super-middleweight icon Carl Froch believes that there is one welterweight who would have put an end to Crawford’s unbeaten streak if they were to meet in their primes.
Crawford became the first post-war boxer to claim the undisputed title in three separate weight divisions last September; a run which began as a super-lightweight in 2015 by defeating Thomas Dulorme, then unifying against Viktor Postol before halting Julius Indongo in an undisputed title showdown.
‘Bud’ then moved on to the welterweight scene and knocked out Jeff Horn to capture the WBO world title on his 147lb debut, making five defences of the title before colliding with fierce rival and three-belt unified titleholder, Errol Spence Jr, in 2023.
In a unforgettable fight, Crawford brutally beat Spence down in an authoritative ninth-round stoppage win to capture the undisputed welterweight throne. Talk then turned to an unprecedented three-weight move up to super-middleweight to take on Canelo Alvarez.
After stopping off at super-welterweight to dethrone Israil Madrimov on his way up, Crawford debuted at super-middleweight in a challenge for Canelo’s undisputed crown and outboxed the Mexican superstar in an iconic win last year, hanging up the gloves three months later.
Despite those legendary achievements, Froch picked Floyd Mayweather Jr to come out on top in a potential fantasy fight against the Omaha southpaw, in an episode of ‘Froch on Fighting’.
Mayweather’s achievements speak for themselves, retiring with a perfect 50-0 unbeaten record after claiming world honours in five divisions, with his most impressive reign coming at 147lbs, where he defeated the likes of Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley.
Mayweather has been rumoured to make a comeback, but while there would be huge finances that would be on offer, Crawford has revealed that he would have no interest in ending his retirement for a bout with ‘TBE’, believing that the 49-year-old is ‘old’ and ‘done’.
Boxing
Conor Benn Reveals His Pick: Oscar De La Hoya vs Terence Crawford Showdown in Boxing History
Published
1 day agoon
August 16, 2026
Terence Crawford has been hailed by many as the best fighter of this generation following his retirement, and now WBC welterweight title hopeful Conor Benn has shared how he thinks ‘Bud’ would have fared against six-division world champion Oscar De La Hoya.
Crawford became boxing’s sixth five-division world champion with an iconic win over Canelo Alvarez back in September; joining Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in that elite and exclusive club reserved only for legends of the sport.
Of that group, only De La Hoya and Pacquiao have gone on to conquer a sixth division, with De La Hoya’s 2004 WBO middleweight world title win over Felix Sturm seeing the Californian become the first boxer to ever become a sextuple champion.
Crawford could have joined ‘’The Golden Boy’ and ‘Pac-Man’ in achieving that feat, having been offered a middleweight world title shot during the aftermath of his triumph over Canelo late last year – a proposal which later fell apart due to a failed doping test by Janibek Alimkhanuly.
Continuing the praise that the Omaha-born southpaw has received since announcing his retirement last December, Benn told Daily Mail Boxing that he would favour the undefeated star to get the better of De La Hoya, if they were to meet in their primes.
Benn also went on to predict that Crawford would retain his unbeaten streak against other greats of the game, picking him to come out on top against each of Mayweather, Julio Cesar Chavez, Pernell Whitaker and Roberto Duran.
Boxing
Robert Garcia Evaluates Terence Crawfords Odds Against Prime Pacquiao
Published
2 days agoon
August 15, 2026
Top trainer and former world champion Robert Garcia has considered the outcome of a fantasy showdown between Terence Crawford and Manny Pacquiao.
The two generational greats reportedly came close to squaring off in 2021, back when Crawford was the WBO welterweight champion and ‘Pac Man’ held the WBA title.
Their unification match never materialised, though, as Pacquiao was scheduled to face Errol Spence Jr before ‘The Truth’ pulled out with a torn retina.
Instead, the Filipino legend ended up losing his WBA title to Yordenis Ugas at a stage when, while still serviceable, he was quite clearly past his best.
Crawford, meanwhile, was hitting top form around this time, just a few fights away from producing arguably a career-best performance against Spence.
He did, of course, manage to stop his welterweight rival in nine rounds, before moving up to 168lbs and becoming a three-division undisputed champion by dethroning Canelo Alvarez last September.
Based on those two performances, coach Garcia has told ESNEWS that he would favour ‘Bud’ to defeat even a prime version of Pacquiao.
“The Crawford that beat Spence – and the Crawford that beat Canelo – would probably beat Manny.”
While Crawford’s prime almost certainly came during his run of eight stoppages at welterweight, it is harder to pinpoint when Pacquiao ultimately reached his peak.
In terms of his most destructive performance at world level, however, many will point towards his second-round finish over Ricky Hatton in 2009.
While facing the ‘Hitman’ at 140lbs, Pacquiao would cement himself as a formidable welterweight champion soon after, dethroning Miguel Cotto with a 12th-round stoppage for the WBO title.
Ian Garry confronts Michael Morales at UFC 330: ‘Make sure you back it up’
Neil Magny closes in on Jim Miller’s all-time UFC wins record
Lucas Fernando nearly quit MMA before breakthrough UFC 330 victory
Trending
-
MMA2 days agoUFC 330 start time, fight card for Islam Makhachev vs. Ian Machado Garry
-
MMA2 days agoUFC 330: Islam Makhachev vs. Ian Machado Garry live stream watch party
-
MMA2 days agoIan Garry polices UFC 330 reporter questions, MMA media vet states, "that's not the way this works"
-
MMA2 days agoUFC 330: 'Makhachev vs. Garry' Live Results and Highlights
-
MMA2 days agoMichael Bisping shares prediction for Islam Makhachev vs. Ian Machado Garry at UFC 330
-
MMA2 days agoAnything but Fighting: Neil Magny
-
MMA2 days agoKhabib Nurmagomedov explains what Islam Makhachev has to do to become the GOAT
-
MMA1 day agoAlexander Volkanovski vs. Movsar Evloev, Petr Yan vs. Merab Dvalishvili trilogy bout set for UFC 333


