Connect with us

Boxing

Tim Tszyu accepts 158 pounds for his fight with Errol Spence Jr. on July 25

Published

on

Image: Tim Tszyu accepts 158 for July 25 fight vs Errol Spence Jr

Behind schedule talks in Las Vegas have both camps making a 158-pound deal as Spence moves up and Tszyu vacates the 154-pound limit

Click here to watch Benavidez vs. Zurdo and Inoue vs. Nakatani LIVE!

Errol Spence Jr (28-1, 22 KO) will return to fight Tim Tszyu (24-1, 17 KO) at 158-pound catchweight on July 25 after both camps reached an agreement following tardy negotiations in Las Vegas. The trade moves Spence up and takes Tszyu above the 154-pound limit, putting both fighters in fresh physical territory.

Tszyu and his team expected the fight to be held at 154 pounds junior middleweight, but Spence’s team pushed for a move up to 160 pounds. Talks between No Limit Boxing and Premier Boxing Champions representatives in Las Vegas lasted for hours before both sides agreed to meet in the middle of the 158-pound fight.

“Is he gigantic enough to be a middleweight? Looking at him, I’m not sure. It’s arduous,” Paulie Malignaggi told FoxSports.com Au, speaking about Spence.

Discussions, which continued by telephone after the initial meeting at Wynn, were described as tense at times but respectful, with both camps determined to keep the fight on track.

The final number puts Tszyu at his highest fighting weight in years, which raises questions about how he will handle the jump against a naturally larger opponent. Former world champion Paulie Malignaggi has already questioned whether Tszyu has the size to compete effectively in the middleweight division.

Tszyu has been fighting above 154 in recent fights, but this is a more significant move, especially against an opponent returning after a long absence.

For Spence, the higher weight reflects a turnaround from his defeat to Terence Crawford in 2023, which was followed by growing concerns about the impact of moving up to welterweight. Since then, his team has leaned towards operating in the higher leagues to avoid further burdens.

Jumping up two weight classes after a three-year break is a huge physical challenge for 36-year-old Spence.

A trade-off between health and performance appears to be at the heart of this decision. The prevailing theory is that the 147-pound limit was killing Spence.

After the loss to Crawford, the word from his camp was that he was “exhausted” and was basically a shell of himself when he hit the ring. As he moves up to middleweight, he is prioritizing his health and his chin.

The fight is expected to be announced soon in the United States.

Last update: 2026/05/02 at 3:43

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Terence Crawford defeats Jai Opetaia in Egypt

Published

on

Image: Terence Crawford Overpowers Jai Opetaia In Egypt Clip

The video of him lifting Opetaia on the sand is pure gold for his image. Opetaia is a powerful cruiserweight, so seeing Crawford pick him up like a sack of potatoes shows that the ancient wrestling and incredible functional strength are still there. This gets people talking about how perilous he still is.

Crawford says he’s had enough, and maybe he really is. He has already dropped Jaron Ennis, which makes sense because he has nothing to prove against younger players. But while remaining close to Turki Alalshikh and these massive international events, he does not leave the door open. If a huge, ridiculously lucrative opportunity ever comes along that really interests him, it never really leaves the public eye. Just making sure that if he ever decides to accept the offer, the price remains astronomical.

This is the ultimate masterclass in staying relevant without risking anything. Crawford knows exactly how this industry works. If a retired fighter stays at home, the audience moves on to the next substantial thing within a few months, but when you fly to Egypt and find yourself in the middle of a massive season production in Riyad, you completely control the narrative.

Think about the calculations here. Crawford avoids juvenile, hungry challengers like Jaron Ennis who want to operate his legacy as a springboard, and yet he ensures he’s the most talked about guy on the sand, lifting an elite cruiserweight like Opetaia. It sends a noisy and clear signal to promoters and networks that Crawford remains a major physical force and box office attraction.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with heavyweights, Terence keeps his wrestling at the highest level. He sets himself up so that if he ever decides to lace up the gloves again, he won’t come back just for a standard payday loan.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rolly Romero sees only one winner in Ryan Garcia vs. Conor Benn fight: ‘His jaw dislocated’

Published

on

Rolly Romero sees only one winner in Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn: “Dislocate his jaw”

Rolando Romero has described half of a potential fight between Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn as “free meat”, believing he is at risk of a dislocated jaw.

“Rolly” defeated Garcia by a vast margin in May 2025, when a second-round knockdown contributed to his convincing unanimous decision victory.

Previously, ‘King Ry’ received a one-year ban after testing positive for ostarine, a banned substance, following an April 2024 meeting with Devin Haney.

However, despite his majority victory also being declared a nocontest, Garcia was presented with a world opportunity in February.

This resulted in a unanimous victory for the 27-year-old, who defeated Mario Barrios in the first round and won the WBC belt.

Since then, “King Ry” has been heavily linked to defending his welterweight title against Benn, who scored a points victory over Regis Prograis last month.

Despite defeating the retired Prograis at 150 pounds and not fighting at 147 pounds since 2022, “The Destroyer” is a top contender for the WBC welterweight title.

According to A Professional boxing fans However, when interviewing WBA welterweight champion Romero, Benn should not be mentioned in the same conversation as Garcia.

“Do I believe that Ryan Garcia really wants to fight Conor Benn and dislocate his jaw because Conor Benn is the easiest [opponent] in boxing? Yes. Everyone would take free meat.

Benn has previously failed two doping tests, as has Garcia, but is still scheduled to face the WBC champion on September 12.

“King Ry” revealed the news on The Jimmy Fallon Show earlier this weektelling the talk show host that their match would take place in Las Vegas.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Isaac Cruz’s Eddy Reynoso partnership sparks debate among boxing fans

Published

on

Image: Pitbull Cruz Joins Eddy Reynoso Amid Defensive Questions

The news spread on Thursday that Cruz will now train under Reynoso, Canelo Alvarez’s longtime trainer. Reynoso is widely known for preaching aggressive pressing, body punching and front leg attacking, which has led some fans to question whether the partnership solves the real problems that have plagued Cruz in recent fights.

Last December, Cruz fought to a 12-round draw against Lamont Roach, snapping his two-fight winning streak. He previously lost his WBA 140-pound title in a split decision loss to Jose “Rayo” Valenzuela on August 3, 2024. In both fights, Cruz fought defensively against talented boxers who were able to control the distance and land tidy counterattacks.

The story quickly sparked a backlash online when Reynoso’s involvement became public.

“Test him for drugs immediately,” one fan wrote on X.

“FAILURE NOW!!!!” another wrote, and several others filled their replies with syringe emojis and jokes referencing previous PED analyzes involving players who previously trained under Reynoso.

Other fans focused more on the boxing side of the move, wondering whether Cruz risks becoming even more aggressive under a coach already associated with high-pressure offense.

Still, the partnership gives Cruz a chance to rebuild momentum at 140 pounds after a tough stretch that exposed technical flaws against a higher-level opponent. Whether Reynoso can tighten up Cruz defensively could determine whether the move succeeds or simply turns him into a sharper version of the same fighter.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending