WBC welterweight champion Ryan Garcia used Kick’s live feed to identify Conor Benn as his next opponent, informing viewers that the fight was headed to Las Vegas. Garcia shared his comments while streaming with rapper 6ix9ine, and the clip spread widely on social media over the next few hours.
“It will be in August,” Garcia said during the broadcast, per Yahoo Sports. “We’ll have it in Vegas. His name is Conor Benn, from the UK. We’ll swallow it. Conor’s about to get kicked out.”
Garcia’s broadcast announcement initially pointed to an August date in Las Vegas. Promoter Eddie Hearn has since indicated that a September 12 Netflix premiere for the series is under discussion if other dates are not set. “Netflix is only going to do a certain number of fights and the talk is that the Benn-Garcia fight will now take place on September 12 or whenever that happens,” Hearn said in comments reported by Boxing 247.
The date of September 12 would mean a collision with another party event on the same evening. Turki Alalshikh confirmed on Friday that Canelo Álvarez will face WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad.
Where the fight is
Garcia (27-1, 22 KO) holds the WBC welterweight title after winning a unanimous decision over Mario Barrios in February. Benn (25-1, 14 KO) is the mandatory challenger for the WBC 147-pound title and most recently defeated Regis Prograis by unanimous decision on April 11 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, fighting at the 150-pound catchweight in his Zuffa Boxing debut.
After his victory over Prograis, Benn made a direct call for a title fight. “Garcia, I want my belt. I want my belt. Keep my belt sultry. September, let’s go,” Benn said in the video reported by ESPN. On May 7, the Briton sent a second video message addressed to Garcia.
The fight faces promotional hurdles. Benn left Matchroom earlier this year to sign with Zuffa Boxing under Dana White. Garcia remains affiliated with Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya. How Social boxing As noted, friction between White and De La Hoya is well-established.
History of drug testing
Both players served suspensions due to unfavorable drug test results. Benn’s case was resolved in November 2024 when the UK National Anti-Doping Panel lifted his provisional suspension. Garcia served a one-year suspension after testing positive for ostarine in connection with his April 2024 fight with Devin Haney.
Which has been confirmed
Garcia’s comments on the stream do not constitute a signed contract, and no joint statement has been released by Golden Boy Promotions or Zuffa Boxing. The press conference, broadcast deal, location and terms of the deal have not yet been confirmed. Reports from Sky Sports and DAZN characterize negotiations as ongoing.