Gorokhov (16-11-2) had already done damage with large shots, finishing Kalkan (7-0, 4 KO) with a spotless knockout that forced the referee to wave his hand. The task has been completed.
After being detained, Gorokhov walked to the opposite corner, where a fight began. That was enough. The cornermen ran inside, the voices became piercing, followed by punches. Within seconds, many people entered the ring.
The situation got out of the referee’s control. The horns could not be separated. Once the non-fighters make it through the ropes, the result will be written in the record books.
The footage showed flying chairs and people trading on ropes as security tried to take control of the situation. The recording shows objects thrown near the ropes. The announcements to stop the fight didn’t change anything. The ring is already gone.
The sanctioning authority has confined powers and the ruling follows standard procedure. When the ropes are broken and extra hands are involved, the score cannot stand and is removed from the scoresheet.
An investigation is ongoing and suspensions and penalties are expected once reports are submitted. The verdict now comes from the officials, not the blows that ended it.
Kalkan keeps his undefeated record in the books. Gorokhov leaves without the victory he earned. Disciplinary action is expected following the investigation.
Tomek Galm is a boxing journalist covering the global fight landscape since 2014, specializing in heavyweight analysis, industry trends and fighter psychology.
Teofimo Lopez doesn’t seem impressed with the growing rumors surrounding a possible fight between Ryan Garcia and Shakur Stevenson.
Ryan said earlier Monday during an appearance on ESPN’s First Take that he believed he could become “the face of boxing,” while Shakur later responded publicly, urging Ryan to continue the fight between the two.
“I have every opportunity to stay the face of boxingbut now I just have to prove it,” Ryan said during his First Take interview with Stephen A. Smith.
“So what are we waiting for, let’s stay vigorous @RyanGarcia,” Shakur later wrote on X.
Teofimo responded shortly afterwards with two separate posts directed at both players.
“These boys dress up and think it’s someone f**k like Comic-Con @RyanGarcia 🦹♂️,” Teofimo wrote in response.
Teofimo later added another response aimed at publicly calling out Shakur to Ryan.
“Middle, middle, middle, skip, skip!” Teofimo continued writing X.
The comments came four months after Shakur defeated Teofimo in January to win the WBO welterweight title. Ryan also recently mentioned Shakur as a potential future 140-pound opponent, even though he currently holds the WBC welterweight title following his February victory over Mario Barrios.
Ryan has fielded several potential opponents recently as he looks for another huge fight later this year. Shakur continued to publicly push for the fight after moving up to 140 pounds, while Teofimo remains linked to the same group of fighters after his January loss.
Timothy Bradley says he learned everything he needed to know about Terence Crawford in his first sparring session – long before most boxing fans even knew who Crawford was.
Bradley recalled the experience, reflecting on Crawford’s mentality and his ability to handle pressure in any situation, describing a juvenile fighter who arrived all by himself and immediately began picking a world champion.
“Let’s go back to 2011 when I first sparred with him,” Bradley explained to ESPN.
“Get this. He got off the plane, his brother-in-law picked him up, he went to the gym. Don’t go to his hotel, rest, no. You took him to the gym, you got off, his bag was still in the car, I put the hooks on.
“No one with him. Think about it, no one with him.”
“He comes into the ring, says hello, in the corner, alone. I had the whole team around me.”
At that time, Bradley was already a two-time world champion, and Crawford was still years away from becoming one of boxing’s pound-for-pound stars.
“And I’m a two-time world champion, think about it,” Bradley continued.
“Nobody gives him any instructions. He comes in there and tears me to pieces.”
Timothy Bradley on Terence Crawford
Bradley explained that what happened the next day convinced him that Crawford had a mentality that few players have.
“And then what? OK, the next day, fine, we’ll spar again. Completely different fighter. No one in the corner again,” Bradley added.
“This guy can mentally handle anything, he can handle any situation.”
The storyline offers a revealing look at Crawford long before his championships, pound-for-pound rankings and superstar reputation.
According to Bradley, the qualities that define Crawford today were obvious even then.
Everything Bradley described about Crawford back then still sounds familiar.
Crawford walked into the hall of champions himself and acted like he already belonged there.
ESPN
Crawford’s mentality
History shows that Crawford was always himself and had complete confidence in his ability to support himself.
Even as a juvenile fighter just starting his career, walking into a champion’s gym in unfamiliar surroundings and setting it up for Timothy Bradley says a lot about Crawford’s mentality.
Very few players would put themselves in this situation and believe that this is where they belong.
Years later, with Crawford now considered one of the greatest fighters of his generation, Bradley’s story seems less surprising and more an early warning sign of what boxing would ultimately experience.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.
The teams behind last year’s blockbuster clash between Terence Crawford and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will go head-to-head again next weekend in Egypt.
Brian “BoMac” McIntyre trained Crawford from his debut until his retirement, and the same can be said for Eddy Reynoso and Canelo when the Mexican decides to hang up the gloves. The two camps went head to head in the biggest fight of 2025, and the Americans emerged victorious, crowning Crawford the undisputed super middleweight champion and handing Alvarez only his third defeat in 68 fights.
This coming weekend at the Pyramids of Giza, “BoMac” and Reynoso will once again be in opposite corners as heavyweights Richard Torrez Jr and Frank Sanchez fight in the IBF final eliminator for a chance to fight champion Oleksandr Usyk, who fights kickboxer Rico Verhoeven in the main event.
Unlike Sanchez, who has been with Reynoso for several years beyond his 2022 absence, Torrez only recently started working with McIntyre at B&B Sports Academy in Omaha.
The respected trainer, who also counts Lester Martinez in his stable and who previously trained Keyshawn Davis, said Top position that he has been impressed so far and expects his up-to-date heavyweight protege to shine this weekend.
“Frank Sanchez is a great player. He has a great team behind him, a great coach. I know for a fact that with Eddye Reynoso, these guys are ready. I wouldn’t accept anything less, and [inactivity] it doesn’t matter to him.
“It’s going to be a tough fight for the first few rounds because the guys will feel each other, try each other’s strength, but the will and determination will fade. And I know one thing – Frank failed. He was stopped. So he knows how to lose. Undefeated, Richard’s silver medalist. The kid hasn’t lost in a dozen years. I’m just looking for him to go out there, do his thing and win for sure.”
After his amateur success with the U.S. national team, Torrez, at the age of 26, established a professional record of 14-0, scoring 12 knockouts and boasting his biggest victory over Guido Vianello. Cuban Sanchez (25-1 (18 KO) lost to Agit Kabayel in 2024, which somewhat dimmed his dreams of a world title, but now he is one step away from achieving it again.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.