Connect with us

Boxing

Schofields predict a uninteresting start 2026: Shakur vs Teo

Published

on

Image: Teofimo Cites Canelo Team Ouster, Declares Support for Crawford After Ugly 'Junk Style' Performance

Floyd Schofield Jr. He chooses Shakura Stevenson to defeat the WBO Airy Welter Waiter champion in Wagi, Teofimo Lopez in their potential fight in the first quarter of 2026. He believes that Shakur (24-0, 11 KO) “Outbox” Lopez (22-1, 13 KO).

Sr. sees a uninteresting fight

Father Schofield, Floyd Schofield Sr., says that it will be a uninteresting fight because he does not think Shakur will “get involved” against Teofimo, as he did against William Zepeda last summer on July 12, 2025 in Queens, Novel York.

Turki deserves the better

In other words, it is a fight that will be the clash of Tom and Jerry, and Turki Alalshikh will not get the value of his money for placing him on one of his seasonal cards in Riyadh.

“I have Shakur,” said Floyd Schofield Jr. WarriorChoosing Shakura Stevenson to defeat Teofimo Lopez in their potential fight at the beginning of 2026. “It’s a fight that is not needed. ”

Floyd Jr. He raises an vital point that the fight was not necessary. Shakur has many great options for fighters in a slight weight, which he has not yet fought, who would gladly agree to fight him if he did not ignore them.

Shakur ignored the lithe

While Stevenson likes to talk about how nobody wants to fight him, these warriors already called him:

  • Ernesto Mercado
  • Andy Cruz
  • Herrera Core

You can add Schofield Jr. to this list, because he wants to change the schedule of fighting Shakur after he missed the match with him at the beginning of this year on February 22 due to the conclusion of food poisoning.

“Shakur cannot hurt Teofimo with these hands,” said Schofield Sr.

“He can transfer it,” said Schofield Jr. O Shakur.

James_thegrad flame duel

Shakur is unlikely to try to hurt Teofimo. This is not his fighting style, because he is a pure boxer who tries to win decisions and not to knock out his opponents.

“He can do the outer box, but he can’t hurt Teo,” said Floyd Sr. “Teo may box a bit, but the wind will stand up to chase Shakur all night and boxes. It will be a uninteresting fight. Shakur will not get involved.”

Floyd sr. He may be right. Stevenson does not intend to fight Lopez in the way he fought with William Zeda at the beginning of this year on July 12, because he strikes too demanding.

When he feels his power, he will almost certainly go into the same defense mode that we saw from him in his very criticized clash with Edwin de Los Santos on November 16, 2023.

Last updated 10.02.2025

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Vasily Lomachenko will get an immediate chance to win the world title in his comeback fight

Published

on

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to be given immediate chance to win world title in comeback fight

Vasily Lomachenko can win the world title outright, but only if he decides to fight at 130 pounds.

Either way, the 38-year-old is expected to return to action later this year after his contract with Top Rank expired earlier this month.

As a promotional free agent, “Loma” is expected to fight for the first time since May 2024, when he earned an 11th-round victory over George Kambosos Jr.

Lomachenko thus won the IBF lightweight title after previously being a three-division world champion, with his last 10 professional appearances coming at 135 pounds.

While many expect him to return to lightweight, perhaps in pursuit of a showdown with Gervonta Davis, the Ukrainian could potentially be tempted by a chance at 130 pounds.

In other words, he will get an immediate shot at the world title against unified champion Emanuel Navarrete, who is falling from a dominant position Final in the 11th round against Eduardo “Sugar” Nunez.

This, in turn, led to the unification of the WBO and IBF titles, although it is unclear what options the Mexican is considering for his next fight.

However, one of them may be a fight with Lomachenko, and WBO president Gustavo Olivieri will share his thoughts on this matter via social media.

“Lomachenko is back and if he wants to fight at 130 pounds with Navarrete, I’m sure the WBO Executive Committee [will approve their fight].

“In delicate of his professional merits – [two-time] Olympic [gold] medalist, multi-division champion, WBO super champion, future Hall of Famer – I’m sure the acceptance will be unanimous.”

While a fight with Lomachenko could make sense for both sides, super featherweight contender Charly Suarez will be demanding a mandatory shot against Navarrete if he makes his next fight against Manuel Avila on July 11.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Mike Kimbel: Ready for a wild homecoming

Published

on

Author: Sean Crose

When I was a teenage man growing up in Waterbury, Connecticut, in the 1970s and 1980s, sports were king. It seemed like every kid in the neighborhood played on the basketball or baseball team. Fathers, perhaps disappointed that their dreams had not come true, could actually be harsh with their sons and daughters. As a teenage man in Waterbury, I played sports too, but what I loved…what I really loved…was boxing. The problem, of course, was that my mother wouldn’t let me box at the local boys club. If I wanted to box, I had to watch it on TV.

Which I did constantly every chance I got. I really wanted to see boxing live, but as a child my father wasn’t too keen on me being part of the very adult boxing audience. There was no live boxing in Waterbury either. It just wasn’t there. You would think so. Waterbury was a tough town, but unfortunately there was no way to watch professional fights live and in person. Willie Pep once had about 20,000 people in Waterbury Municipal Stadium, but that was long before I was born. There were a lot of boxing fans in Waterbury, but not a lot of boxing fans.

Fortunately, everything will change soon, because on June 6, professional boxing will finally return to Waterbury, and Mike “The Savage” Kimbel will be the main character of the gala at the legendary Palace Theater. To make things even more compelling, Kimbel is from Waterbury himself, so he’ll be performing for a hometown crowd. Of course, the youngster has a lot to lose, but the local player is confident.

“The intensity is still high,” he tells me when I ask how he’s doing as training comes to an end. Originally, one of the opponents was supposed to face Kimbel, but it didn’t work out that way. “He became just like a ghost,” Kimbel says. Fortunately, a up-to-date opponent will step in, which will be good for the teenage athlete hoping to impress his hometown fans.

“I feel amazing,” Kimbel says of the Waterbury fight. He also admitted that the June 6 card was associated with “a bit of the word ‘I told you so’.” Like many teenage children growing up in hard cities and towns, Kimbel had hard times. Suffice it to say, his mother was not joyful with the direction her son’s life was heading.

“My mom was fed up with it,” Kimbel says. Determined to keep her son straight and narrow, Kimbel’s mother took him to the gym. “It kept me out of trouble,” he says. And then some. Kimbel first made a name for himself in mixed martial arts, becoming a Bellator fighter. Eventually, however, he found himself in the squared circle he had always dreamed of.

“It was supposed to be overtime,” he says of his real-life experience in the ring. Needless to say, he fell in love with the sport. “I have always been a huge boxing fan,” he says. Indeed, Kimbel believes that his time in mixed martial arts has done him good. “It carried over,” he tells me. It certainly seems to be the case. Kimbel’s movements in the ring are characterized by natural fluidity. He has an excellent jab that allows him to unleash a powerful law.

However, Kimbel makes it clear that his boxing endeavors are about more than just glory. “I started it for my son,” he says. He also spends time with younger players through the Police Athletic League. “You can see the change in their eyes,” he says of how children, like he once did, began to become familiar with the sport.

While his upcoming performance in Waterbury is satisfying in its own right, Kimbel still feels he still has a lot of growing to do as a professional boxer. “History is still being written,” he says.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rico Verhoeven doesn’t need a rematch – he needed one more second

Published

on

Referee Mark Lyson stops Oleksandr Usyk vs Rico Verhoeven late in the eleventh round in Egypt

Rico Verhoeven doesn’t need a rematch with Oleksandr Usyk because boxing has already taken away from him what he really deserved in Egypt.

Not heavyweight titles. Not a victory. Not even official recognition on the scorecards.

Verhoeven earned the right to hear the bell ring at the Pyramids after pushing the unified heavyweight champion much harder than almost anyone expected.

That moment was taken from him with a second left.

Usyk clearly didn’t prepare to the best of his ability and looked musclebound as he struggled through long stretches of the competition. However, turning him on for the last few rounds and hoping he had enough left in the tank to stop the tiring Verhoeven was certainly not part of the game plan.

The Ukrainian looked genuinely shocked at how Verhoeven was able to maneuver around the ring in such an unconventional way that he repeatedly prevented Usyk from gaining any rhythm.

As detailed in WBN’s live coverage from Giza, Verhoeven frustrated Usyk from the first round and never allowed the champion to fully take control.

Even when Usyk finally succeeded in the underbelly and started hurting Verhoeven towards the end, the Dutchman still survived, recovered and made the fight awkward enough to keep the fight hanging in the balance.

Verhoeven was seriously injured at the end of the eleventh set, but giving him that one minute to recover was the least he could pay for his fortitude and determination.

Mark Lyson’s decision

Therefore, referee Mark Lyson’s decision will remain a long-debated topic of the event.

Lyson is usually one of the better referees in boxing and is rarely controversial. This time, however, he must seriously consider the decision to stop the fight.

The official time of the eleventh round is 2:59. In fact, I thought it was at least 3:01 because the bell had already rung before Lyson had fully entered the action.

Verhoeven got back to his feet. He was prepared to continue and was a second away from hearing the bell ending the final round.

He fully deserved this opportunity.

Mark Robinson

Instead, the ending immediately reopened familiar accusations that boxing protects its own when outside forces threaten the established order.

As detailed in WBN’s post-fight report, the controversy only intensified as Verhoeven appeared to be ahead on multiple unofficial cards entering the championship rounds.

WBN had Rico Verhoeven leading 97-93 after ten rounds and 105-103 after eleven, even including the knockdown.

However, both the live WBC scorecards read in the arena and the WBA scorecards revealed after the fight in which Verhoeven did not win.

That says a lot.

There is no need for a rematch with Usyk

As for the rematch, there’s really no point.

Usyk would almost certainly have prepared better for the second fight and would likely have stopped Verhoeven in the first half of the fight once he was fully accustomed to the movement and rhythm that surprised him in Egypt.

That intrigue is now over and Usyk has his mandatory duties behind him.

Boxing had a chance to adapt to another combat sports star who went far beyond his comfort zone and exceeded almost all expectations placed on him.

Instead, the sport turned what should have been a remarkable crossover success into another evening dominated by controversy, debates over results and accusations of protectionism surrounding one of boxing’s biggest stars.

Verhoeven may never officially receive the recognition many believe he deserves. But he also doesn’t need a rematch to confirm what happened.

For ten rounds under the pyramids, Rico Verhoeven proved that he was there. This should be enough.


About the author

Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending