Connect with us

Boxing

Ryan Garcia is focusing on one fighter after turning around to fight Teofimo Lopez

Published

on

Ryan Garcia sets sights on one man after u-turn on Teofimo Lopez fight

WBC welterweight champion Ryan Garcia appears to have changed his plans when it comes to his future, apparently looking elsewhere after previously announcing his next opponent.

“King Ry” dominated his fight against Mario Barrios in February, using a right hook rather than his trademark left to surprise “El Azteca” and comfortably secure a unanimous decision victory and finally claim world honors.

This triumph seemed to set up a grudge match rematch and now a title unification with bitter rival and WBO welterweight champion Devin Haney, but instead the latter took aim at an alternative champion in Rolando Romero (WBA).

Then earlier this month, Garcia revealed that he would fight Teofimo Lopez on Saturday, July 25, but the failure of the Haney-Romero fight talks appears to have scuttled those plans.

Instead on Throw Garcia told UFC lightweight title hopeful Arman Tsarukyan that he is currently hopeful that a rematch with Haney could be possible next.

“Let’s hope [it is Devin Haney next]. He doesn’t really want to call me names, I was really scared last time.

Additionally, Mandatory challenger for the WBC title Conor Benn intends to fight Garcia later this yearbut a unification fight between Garcia and Haney would trump any mandated fight between Benn and the WBC champion.

Haney-Garcia II was previously scheduled for September because Haney wanted to fight earlier to give himself an optimal chance to right the wrongs of their first meeting.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Terence Crawford gives novel verdict on Canelo’s comeback fight against Mbilla: ‘He wants to prove himself’

Published

on

Terence Crawford delivers new verdict on Canelo comeback fight against Mbilli: “He wants to prove himself”

Terence Crawford shared his truthful thoughts on Canelo Alvarez’s fight with Christian Mbilli and wanted to see his former opponent come to his senses after their clash.

The couple had a quarrel in September last year Crawford declares victory by unanimous decision and cementing his greatness as the undisputed three-division champion.

Despite moving up two weight classes, “Bud” seemed content with the size difference compared to Canelo, who was ultimately vacated from his four super middleweight world titles.

However, in his next fight, Alvarez will be looking to reclaim one of the belts against Mbilla, who was elevated from “interim” to full WBC champion following Crawford’s retirement.

The Frenchman defended his “interim” title thanks to Canelo-Crawford’s indigent card, following a 10-round draw with undefeated rival Lester Martinez.

Known for his thunderous style, Mbilli is a solid opponent for Alvarez, who will face the 31-year-old on September 12 in Riyad, Saudi Arabia.

Given his achievements, the 35-year-old could have easily retired after the loss to Crawford, which meant time for an illustrious professional career that began in 2005.

But Crawford said DAZN Boxing that he understands the Mexican’s desire to get at least one more victory before finally calling it quits.

“I think it will be a great fight. Mbilli is putting a lot of pressure on himself. Canelo – we’ll see what form he comes in.

“Canelo is an all-time great fighter and I can’t wait to see him return to form [from the Crawford defeat].

“Knowing Canelo, he doesn’t want to end his career with a defeat. So I see Canelo wants to come back and prove his worth.”

A victory over Mbilli will certainly open further doors for Alvarez, who may even look to unify the 168-pound division by once again facing the winner of the Hamzah Sheeraz vs. Al Begic fight on next Saturday’s Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven fight card.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Terence Crawford defeats Jai Opetaia in Egypt

Published

on

Image: Terence Crawford Overpowers Jai Opetaia In Egypt Clip

The video of him lifting Opetaia on the sand is pure gold for his image. Opetaia is a powerful cruiserweight, so seeing Crawford pick him up like a sack of potatoes shows that the ancient wrestling and incredible functional strength are still there. This gets people talking about how perilous he still is.

Crawford says he’s had enough, and maybe he really is. He has already dropped Jaron Ennis, which makes sense because he has nothing to prove against younger players. But while remaining close to Turki Alalshikh and these massive international events, he does not leave the door open. If a huge, ridiculously lucrative opportunity ever comes along that really interests him, it never really leaves the public eye. Just making sure that if he ever decides to accept the offer, the price remains astronomical.

This is the ultimate masterclass in staying relevant without risking anything. Crawford knows exactly how this industry works. If a retired fighter stays at home, the audience moves on to the next substantial thing within a few months, but when you fly to Egypt and find yourself in the middle of a massive season production in Riyad, you completely control the narrative.

Think about the calculations here. Crawford avoids juvenile, hungry challengers like Jaron Ennis who want to operate his legacy as a springboard, and yet he ensures he’s the most talked about guy on the sand, lifting an elite cruiserweight like Opetaia. It sends a noisy and clear signal to promoters and networks that Crawford remains a major physical force and box office attraction.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with heavyweights, Terence keeps his wrestling at the highest level. He sets himself up so that if he ever decides to lace up the gloves again, he won’t come back just for a standard payday loan.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rolly Romero sees only one winner in Ryan Garcia vs. Conor Benn fight: ‘His jaw dislocated’

Published

on

Rolly Romero sees only one winner in Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn: “Dislocate his jaw”

Rolando Romero has described half of a potential fight between Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn as “free meat”, believing he is at risk of a dislocated jaw.

“Rolly” defeated Garcia by a vast margin in May 2025, when a second-round knockdown contributed to his convincing unanimous decision victory.

Previously, ‘King Ry’ received a one-year ban after testing positive for ostarine, a banned substance, following an April 2024 meeting with Devin Haney.

However, despite his majority victory also being declared a nocontest, Garcia was presented with a world opportunity in February.

This resulted in a unanimous victory for the 27-year-old, who defeated Mario Barrios in the first round and won the WBC belt.

Since then, “King Ry” has been heavily linked to defending his welterweight title against Benn, who scored a points victory over Regis Prograis last month.

Despite defeating the retired Prograis at 150 pounds and not fighting at 147 pounds since 2022, “The Destroyer” is a top contender for the WBC welterweight title.

According to A Professional boxing fans However, when interviewing WBA welterweight champion Romero, Benn should not be mentioned in the same conversation as Garcia.

“Do I believe that Ryan Garcia really wants to fight Conor Benn and dislocate his jaw because Conor Benn is the easiest [opponent] in boxing? Yes. Everyone would take free meat.

Benn has previously failed two doping tests, as has Garcia, but is still scheduled to face the WBC champion on September 12.

“King Ry” revealed the news on The Jimmy Fallon Show earlier this weektelling the talk show host that their match would take place in Las Vegas.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending