Connect with us

Boxing

Opetaia will face Glanton for the inaugural Zuffa cruiserweight title

Published

on

IBF cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia will face Brandon Glanton in the inaugural Zuffa Boxing world cruiserweight championship fight on March 8 at the Meta Apex in Las Vegas, Zuffa Boxing announced today.

Fighting on the Gold Coast in Australia, Opetaia (29-0, 23 KO) signed with Zuffa Boxing last month, marking the first major signing in the up-to-date boxing organization led by UFC CEO Dana White. He will now fight for his first world title in this organization with Glanton (21-3, 18 KO).

Zuffa Boxing did not mention or recognize Opetai’s IBF title in the announcement. This is also expected to be discussed, although there has been no official word from Opetai or the IBF on the matter.

Opetaia is widely considered the best cruiserweight in boxing. In December, he came off a brutal eighth-round knockout of Huseyin Cinkara, his fourth straight knockout win. He signed with Zuffa Boxing after expressing his frustration at not being able to have a unification fight with other division champions. Now he will get the chance to make history as the first Zuffa Boxing champion.

Fighting out of Atlanta, Glanton was unsuccessful in fights against Chris Billam-Smith, Soslan Asbarov and David Airy. He stopped Marcus Browne in his last fight last October and was never knocked out. Opetaia will be a significant step up in competition for Glanton.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Adrien Broner says he needs one more title before he retires

Published

on

Image: Adrien Broner Says He Needs “1 More World Title” Before Retirement

During the same broadcast, Broner repeatedly alluded to his upcoming return and training plans.

“We’re going to the gym tomorrow morning,” Broner said.

At another point during the live broadcast, Broner reminded viewers that despite the party atmosphere surrounding the trip, he still had a fight ahead of him.

“Hey SSB. I had a full fight on Saturday,” Broner said. “Bro, focus, man.”

Broner also claimed to have maintained discipline throughout the day.

“Sober all day, I talk,” he said.

However, later in the broadcast, Broner admitted that it might not last long.

“I don’t think I’ll stay sober, gang. I won’t lie.”

The comments summarized the same tensions that have dogged Broner throughout the second half of his career. There is still confidence and faith in another comeback, but also the distractions and unpredictability that have repeatedly hampered its dynamics over the past few years.

Broner has made it clear that he is not thinking about retirement yet. The former champion says his goal remains to win one more world title before he leaves boxing for good.

Youtube video

Continue Reading

Boxing

Zab Judah Sees Only One Winner in Devin Haney vs. Keyshawn Davis Fight: ‘No Disrespect’

Published

on

Zab Judah sees only one winner in Devin Haney vs Keyshawn Davis fight: “No disrespect”

Rumors of a fight between Devin Haney and Keyshawn Davis have surfaced once again, but if that fight were to happen, two-division world champion Zab Judah admitted he only sees one winner.

After this fight, Davis challenged Haney to fight for Haney’s WBO welterweight world title in January by knocking out Jamaine Ortiz and although the master seemed interested at first, whispers of their potential meeting soon died down.

But after Davis won a unanimous decision in his rematch with Nahir Albright on Saturday, Haney took to social media to renew his interest in facing the Norfolk-born former WBO lightweight champion.

Although talking to MillCity BoxingJudah, who is Haney’s godfather, stated that he does not see Davis beating “The Dream” at welterweight, where the champion’s greater size would make him the favorite.

“I like Keyshawn, Keyshawn is a great fighter. I thought he had a great performance last night, but Keyshawn can’t beat Devin. No way, not now, not at 147 pounds – no way.”

“No disrespect and no looking at Keyshawn, he’s my little man, I rock with him, but based on what we saw last night, I don’t know. [if he can beat Haney]”

“I wouldn’t say it’s an basic job, but I would just say it’s food and we’re going to eat it.”

Haney has been linked to a rematch with Ryan Garcia, who is now scheduled to face Conor Benn instead, making Davis the favorite to make Haney’s first defense since becoming the 147-pound world champion.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Keyshawn Davis Says Devin Haney Is ‘One Step Below Perfect’

Published

on

Image: Brian Norman Jr.: Where Has the “Savage” Spark Gone?

“And as far as his skills go, I think he’s just one step away from being perfect. He does everything well,” Keyshawn said. “He doesn’t have anything great in his arsenal. Everything is just fine. That’s good. That’s good. That’s good. Which makes him a good fighter. But he’s just not among the elite of the elite.”

The comments came during an appearance on the “What’s Up That Podcast,” where Davis spent much of the interview discussing Haney, Gervonta Davis, Shakur Stevenson and the effects of losing weight following his canceled fight with Edwin De Los Santos last year.

Keyshawn said he approached Bill Haney earlier this year about making this fight happen, but he believes the other side has gone serene since then.

“You may have seen this video before. Me and Shakur walked up to Bill at the weigh-in for the last fight in January. Long story brief, I thought, ‘Hey, we’re going to fight this year, right?’ He said, ‘Man, mind your own business.’ I said, “I’ll mind my own business.” Will we fight this year? He said, “Just keep your word after the fight.”

Davis then said:

“Why don’t I fight Devin now after the fight? If you want to call it a duck, call it a duck.”

He also asked if Haney has looked the same since his loss to Ryan Garcia.

“Don’t you think he’s the same? The world doesn’t think he’s the same.”

Still, Davis acknowledged that Haney showed toughness by continuing to get up during the Garcia fight.

“I have a lot of respect for him as a player. Fuck, it’s not basic to come back from that.”

The interview moved on to several possible future fights, including fights with Haney, Conor Benn, Tank Davis, and even boxing events with influential people. Keyshawn has repeatedly said he wants the biggest fights available and claimed fans are already demanding a tougher pushback against him.

Youtube video

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending