Boxing
Malignaggi calls the plant to evaluate his career after the destructive loss of RESENDIZ
Published
1 year agoon
Paulie Malignaggi says that Caleb Plant must “assess” whether he is hungry to continue his career after losing to Armando Resndiz last Saturday evening in Las Vegas.
The hunger for the plant questioned
The short-lived master of super medium WBA (23-3, 14 KO) lost the 12-round divided decision for RESENDIZ (26-2, 11 KO). The loss of Caleb potentially derailed his plans to fight Jermall Charlo next on PPV.
Malingaggi says he doesn’t know if the plant has hunger to continue the fight because he has already earned good money and has a family. He asks if Caleb is willing to put an effort against hungry warriors, such as Resendiz.
He looked at me hungry, but he had a face in a face with a guy with a chin, power and internal game. Plant could not stop the Restndiz outside and was beaten inside.
“I don’t know what the Caleb plant is doing. He didn’t look hungry for me, but of course he still had all his departments. If he is no longer hungry, he must judge it himself. He didn’t look hungry today,” said Paulie Malignaggi on his own canal About Caleb Plant after losing to Armando Rediz last Saturday.
The “Honey” plant looked the same as usual, but it was hit by many demanding shots of the younger warrior who applied it on it. Immense shots that landed plants that gave older, smaller fighters, such as Anthony Dirrell and Trevor McCumbby, did not affect Resendiz.
Plant: “Fight not to lose”
“Fighting not to lose. His intention was to overcome the Restndiz and fight with Jermall Charlo. You want to hit them enough to stop them from you,” said Malignaggi about what went wrong for Plant. “Rezendiz did not cooperate. So now you have to fight these guys.”
The plant fought as always; His talent was not enough to overcome this warrior level. If you come back and see the previous Plant’s fights with Jose Uzcatelui, Mike Lee, Caleb Trax and Vincent Feigenbutz, he looked the same against them as in the fight against Resendiz.
The difference was that RESENDIZ was better than these fighters in terms of his pressure, game and impact resistance. If Plant had fought earlier in his career, he would lose to him as last Saturday evening. In other words, the plant was never as good as boxing fans thought.
“As the fight was fought, the plant had no fight in it, because now you have to do what you did in [Trevor] McCumbby is fighting again and you have to fight in you. There are only as many times in which you call it in your career, especially when you are behind schedule and you earned good money. It is much harder to lead this dog out of you, especially consistently at this age with all other variables that I have just mentioned.
The fight Charlo-resndiz was discussed
“Resendiz has two great victories. Caleb Plant was not as shot as Jarrett Hurd. Now you do not suddenly do not have Charlo-Cuteb’s plant, but do you have Charlo and Resendiz?” Paulie said.
As long as Jermalla’s promoters are fine when his next fight is regular PBC in Prime Video, RESSENDIZ would be a good idea. However, Charlo’s management will probably want him to be on PPV for the next fight. Now that the plant lost, it would be stupid to continue the original plan to fight the plant.
Charlo has been out of the game for too many years to sell in Pay-Per-View. Even if Plant won last Saturday, the fight between him and Charlo would not make enormous numbers in Pay-Per-View. There is not enough older fans who would like to pay $ 75 to watch these two.
“Do we make charlo-resandiz because we still don’t know how much Charlo is left,” Paulie said. “The revival is ongoing. I think RESENDIZ is a good logical step. This is not a great fight and it would not be sold to you like a great fight, such as Charlo and Plant. But I did not think that Charlo and Plant will be a great fight anyway.”
PBC would have to believe that Charlo would win to give him a green lightweight to face Reiniz. Based on his performance against Lamanna, I wouldn’t do it if I were with PBC.
Charlo struck through Lamanna too often so that he could put him in a guy like RESENDIZ. The shots with which the Restendiz hit the plant inside would give Jermall many problems. There has been no game for too many years and is too elderly to be hit by 26-year-old RESENDIZ.
“But this fight makes sense in steps to restore Jermalla Charlo. If he defeated RESENDIZ, now it is a good win, because Resendiz won with the factory and won [Jarrett] Hurd. He has a pretty decent CV for Charlo to win such a guy – said Paulie.
It would be a good win for Jermall, if he defeated the Restndiz, and it potentially led to the fight with Edgar Berlang, Diego Pacheco or Christian Mbilli. It is doubtful that Canelo willingly fight Charlo. He would fight Charlo only when Turki Alalshikh offered him a few money. He doesn’t take risks unless he pays huge money. Turki would have to initiate this.
PBC Charlo Returns
“But if Restendiz defeats Charlo, he adds his name to his CV. Anyway, the winner can be nicely set in the 168 pounds division,” said Malignaggi.
It does not seem realistic that Charlo’s guides will allow him to get tangled with the re -performance after the performances on the last Saturday. Jermall does not shine enough to Thomas Lamanna to risk puting him in Resendiz, and told him to land on arrows with which he hit the plant.
We saw what the very average Juan Macias Montiel for Jermall four years ago in 2021. It was against a much better version of Charlo than the one we saw last Saturday night against Lamanna. Charlo looked like there was only 50% of what he was against Montiel, but fortunately for him he faced the journeyman, not someone like RESENDIZ.
Last updated 06/02/2025
You may like
Boxing
Zab Judahs Final Prediction on Rolly Romero vs Teofimo Lopez: The Impact of KOing Sparring Partners
Published
23 hours agoon
August 22, 2026
Zab Judah has made a bold prediction ahead of tonight’s world title battle between Rolly Romero and Teofimo Lopez.
Romero defends his WBA welterweight title against Lopez at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas this evening, competing for the first time since his unanimous decision victory over Ryan Garcia in May 2025.
Lopez is attempting to become a three-division world champion after previously holding world honours at lightweight and super-lightweight, but his reign at 140lbs came to an end in January when he lost his WBO crown to Shakur Stevenson.
One man who knows what it is like to be world champion at both 140lbs and 147lbs is Judah, who notably became undisputed at welterweight back in 2005.
Speaking to MillCity BoxingJudah revealed that he is backing Romero to claim the upset victory tonight and successfully defend his belt against Lopez.
“In the past when we’ve seen Rolly in preparation for a fight, he was always on the internet saying crazy s**t, doing crazy things, this time we don’t see any of that. He’s locked in, he’s training, and I predict that Rolly Romero is going to beat Teofimo Lopez.
“From what I’ve been hearing about him in training, he’s been doing good and knocking people out.”
The winner of tonight’s bout has already been linked to a unification fight against the victor of the upcoming WBC welterweight title fight between Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn, while there are also possible match-ups with WBO champion Devin Haney or IBF champion Liam Paro.
Boxing
George Liddard vs Dario Morello Live Results and Updates: Stay Informed on the Action
Published
23 hours agoon
August 22, 2026
LIVE COVERAGE
World Boxing News provides live results and updates from George Liddard’s European middleweight title clash with Dario Morello at the Copper Box Arena in London.
The undefeated Liddard faces the biggest test of his career against experienced Italian Morello, with the vacant European middleweight championship on the line.
Three other vacant titles will be decided on the card as Jimmy Sains, Emmanuel Buttigieg and Tiah Mai Ayton attempt to take the next step in their careers.
Live Scorecard –George Liddard vs. Dario Morello
Live Results
Times are local BST
19:45
Tiah Mai Ayton won the vacant Commonwealth featherweight title in a solid display against Ellie Hellewell. The Hellewell corner called off the fight after six completed rounds as Ayton made it seven straight wins as a pro and pushed towards world honors.
18:52
Connor Mitchell gets four useful rounds under his belt with a 39-37 points victory over Caine Singh.
Singh made him work for it, but the all-action Mitchell did enough to get his hand raised.
18:16
Louie Ward moved to 3-0 with a dominant performance, stopping Jon Martinez in the third round.
Ward was in control throughout before forcing the finish to secure another impressive victory.
17:42
Ioan Croft dropped Tomas Reynoso early on before seeing out a sixth round victory. The referee waved the fight off with just over a minute left of the round.
17:10
Harley Burrows opened the show with a first round stoppage of Carlos Ronner. Burrows pinned Ronner on the ropes and waded in until the referee halted the contest.
TV Coverage and Remaining Bouts
United Kingdom: DAZN
- George Liddard vs. Dario Morello – Vacant European Middleweight Title (12)
- Jimmy Sains vs. Tom Cowling – Vacant Commonwealth Middleweight Title (12)
- Emmanuel Buttigieg vs. P A Gordon – Vacant English Middleweight Title (10)

Preview
Liddard enters his first European title fight with a perfect 14-0 record as the 24-year-old attempts to continue his rapid rise through the middleweight division.
Morello brings considerably more experience at 26-1 and arrives in London undefeated since 2019.
The event takes place at the Copper Box Arena in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing promoting the card.
About the Author
Phil Jay is the Editor-in-Chief of World Boxing News (WBN), a BWAA-acknowledged boxing news website founded in 2010. A veteran boxing reporter with 16 years of experience, he has interviewed world champions, broken international exclusives, and reported ringside from major events. His work is published worldwide through WBN and distributed on platforms including Apple News.
Read Phil Jay’s full bio and latest stories.
Boxing
Antonio Tarver Predicts Rolly Romero vs Teofimo Lopez Winner: He Has the Attributes to Beat Him
Published
1 day agoon
August 22, 2026
Former undisputed champion Antonio Tarver has considered the keys to victory, while also offering a prediction, for both Teofimo Lopez and Rolando ‘Rolly’ Romero.
The pair will collide at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena in the early hours of tomorrow morning, with Romero making a first defence of his WBA world title.
He was upgraded to full welterweight champion last year, having claimed the ‘regular’ belt by dropping and unanimously outpointing Ryan Garcia in May 2025.
After that, Rolly had been in talks with Devin Haney and Conor Benn, only to incur over a year of inactivity and agree to face Lopez instead.
Entering their showdown as a slight favourite, ‘The Takeover’ has moved up to 147lbs and is bidding to become a three-weight world champion.
Unlike Romero, though, Lopez is coming off a surprisingly one-sided points defeat to Shakur Stevensonwho dethroned him for the WBO super-lightweight title in January.
It is therefore difficult to predict which version of the 29-year-old will turn up, yet Hall of Famer Tarver has nonetheless told Fight Hub TV that he is backing Lopez.
“[it will be] high volume if Teo looks to win this thing impressively. He’s going to have to let his hands go, and Rolly’s going to have to try and catch him in the mix of all that.
“I don’t think Rolly can outbox Teo round after round; I think Rolly has to do something big – hurt him with something, knock him down and maybe even stop him.
“Smart money [is on Lopez]. It’s difficult to have your way with [Romero]; you have to be somewhat of a real, elite fighter. We still believe Teo, at his best, has those types of attributes.”
Many would agree that a points decision is Lopez’ clearest route to victory, while Romero may need to make use of his power and engineer an inside-the-distance finish.
Rolly Romero vs. Teofimo Lopez full fight video highlights
Austin McBroom scores terrifying knockout over Faze Temper in Brand Risk 15 main event
PFL Tampa results: Cris Cyborg defends title in hard-fought battle, sends message to Claressa Shields, Kayla Harrison
Rolly Romero vs. Teofimo Lopez full fight video highlights
Austin McBroom scores terrifying knockout over Faze Temper in Brand Risk 15 main event
PFL Tampa results: Cris Cyborg defends title in hard-fought battle, sends message to Claressa Shields, Kayla Harrison
Trending
-
MMA2 days agoMissed Fists | ‘What the hell was this ref thinking?’: Pros react to referee freezing during brutal knockout beatdown
-
MMA2 days agoAlexander Volkanovski not thinking retirement, but would consider it if ‘things go terribly wrong’ against Movsar Evloev at UFC 333
-
MMA2 days agoUFC Sacramento weigh-in video: Hernandez vs. Rodrigues
-
MMA2 days agoONE SAMURAI 4: Featherweight Kickboxing Tournament semifinal matchups revealed
-
MMA2 days agoCarlos Prates issues warning to Michael Morales: ‘I will knock you out really fast’ after winning UFC title
-
MMA2 days agoManager blasts NSAC for withholding Paddy Pimblett's UFC 329 purse: 'This rule needs to be changed'
-
MMA2 days agoHiroba Minowa vs. Yuta Miyazawa, plus more added to ONE SAMURAI 3
-
MMA1 day agoRolly vs. Teofimo Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event


