Connect with us

MMA

Mackenzie Dern scolds Din Thomas after post-fight cornering 'retirement' at UFC 330

Published

on

Mackenzie Dern scolds Din Thomas after post-fight cornering 'retirement' at UFC 330

UFC women's strawweight champion Mackenzie Dern weighed in on the controversy involving Din Thomas and Gillian Robertson after UFC 330.

Mackenzie Dern defended the UFC strawweight title dominantly against Gillian Robertson last Saturday at UFC 330. After winning the then-vacant belt last year, Dern stopped Robertson's meteoric rise to make a statement as she prepares to welcome Zhang Weili back to the division for her next fight.

Robertson's team was under intense scrutiny following analyst/longtime cornerman Din Thomas' bizarre remarks during the UFC 330 post-fight show. Thomas announced his ‘retirement' from cornering fighters, hinting that Robertson's performance at UFC 330 showed the limit of how far she can go in her career.

Thomas has since apologized for his comments, although he doubled down on his ‘retirement' from cornering after UFC 330. Amidst heavy backlash for his remarks, Dern weighed in on Thomas' controversy.

Mackenzie Dern slams Din Thomas for ‘poor etiquette' after UFC 330 corner split

In a recent appearance on The Ariel Helwani Show, Dern was pressed on her reaction to Thomas stealing Robertson's spotlight after UFC 330.

“I think it's tough to say that. I don't know why that had to be something public; you could have just told your athlete whatever you wanted to say, not even announced,†Dern said of Thomas.

“They could've had their own [split] for personal reasons, but there are some things that don't need to be shared with the public. The fact that it was something that was put out there; it just wasn't good etiquette. He came back and said sorry, but it doesn't seem like he really changed what he thinks or what he thought.

“It's definitely more about him than her,†Dern continued. “She came to fight for a title, broke records, and doesn't come from any type of background as I do…she's gone far, and she's only 31.â€

Thomas had been in Robertson's corner throughout her UFC career, including in recent wins over Amanda Lemos, Marina Rodriguez, and Michelle Waterson-Gomez.

What are your thoughts on the recent Din Thomas controversy? Weigh in below in the comments

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Islam Makhachev dismisses Michael Morales as No. 1 contender following UFC 330: "I don't remember when he fight"

Published

on

Islam Makhachev dismisses Michael Morales as No. 1 contender following UFC 330: "I don't remember when he fight"

Islam Makhachev thinks that Michael Morales is skilled, but he isn't impressed with the activity level.

Makhachev is coming off a historic win over Ian Machado Garry at UFC 330 this past Saturday in Philadelphia. He broke the record previously held by Anderson Silva for the most consecutive wins in UFC history (17). While Makhachev didn't exactly cruise his way to victory, he was in control more often than not on his way to a unanimous decision.

Now that UFC 330 has wrapped up, the question becomes who is next for the No. 1-ranked pound-for-pound fighter? Makhachev was asked who he thinks is most deserving of the opportunity during the Paramount+ post-fight show. The elite titleholder believes that while Morales could be an intriguing challenger, he feels the rising Ecuadorian star needs to be more active before getting a shot.

“Honestly, if you ask me today, Shavkat [Rakhmonov] is not fighting,†Makhachev said. “[Carlos] Prates still fighting, still active. Maybe Prates because Morales also is good, but Morales fight I don't know last time. I don't remember when he fight, you know? If you ask who's the most deserving guy, I think Carlos Prates.â€

Morales and Prates were both in attendance for UFC 330 inside Xfinity Mobile Arena. Morales even had a backstage run-in with Ian Machado Garry, although things were cordial despite some back-and-forth words. If Prates ends up getting the next welterweight title shot, it could leave the door open for Morales to fight someone like Garry or another top contender.

In his last outing back in Nov. 2025, Morales scored a first-round TKO finish over Sean Brady. At the time, Brady was widely considered a credible threat at 170 pounds. Whether or not that win will be enough to carry Morales to a showdown with Makhachev remains to be seen.

Do you agree with Islam Makhachev's stance on Michael Morales' contender status, or do you feel Morales has done enough to get the title shot? Sound off in the comments below.

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Continue Reading

MMA

Carlos Prates predicts brutal KO win if he challenges Islam Makhachev next: "I will bring that belt to Brazil"

Published

on

Carlos Prates predicts brutal KO win if he challenges Islam Makhachev next: "I will bring that belt to Brazil"

Carlos Prates is warning Islam Makhachev that he fully intends to deliver a scintillating performance if he gets the next UFC welterweight title shot.

Makhachev made history this past Saturday in his first defense of the 170-pound gold. The pound-for-pound great broke Anderson Silva's record for the most consecutive wins in UFC history at 17. Makhachev thwarted the challenge of Ian Machado Garry in the UFC 330 main event, earning a unanimous decision.

Prates was inside Xfinity Mobile Arena in Philadelphia to witness Makhachev's victory, and he thinks he will be the No. 1 contender. If that is the case, “The Nightmare†is predicting a knockout win. Pedro Baptista posted a clip of Prates firing a warning shot at the welterweight king.

“I will knock you out, bro,†Prates said. “I will bring that belt to Brazil. The first welterweight champ from Brazil.â€

Prates is riding a three-fight winning streak with finishes over some key names. In his most recent outing, the Brazilian bruiser stopped former UFC welterweight titleholder Jack Della Maddalena. Prior to that, he had knockouts over ex-UFC champion Leon Edwards and Geoff Neal.

In his last 15 fights, Prates has gone 14-1. The lone defeat was against Ian Machado Garry in a bout that nearly saw “The Nightmare†pull off a come-from-behind win.

Makhachev is vowing to return to the Octagon before Ramadan. If it takes until January 2027 for the 170-pound champion to fight again, then Prates may need to fight one more time before getting a crack at UFC gold. Of course, he could also wait if the UFC brass feel he is the unquestioned No. 1 contender.

Another name that has been looming in the title conversation is Michael Morales. The surging Ecuadorian was also in attendance for UFC 330, and he has been calling for a championship fight. Some have suggested that Morales and Prates should fight with a shot at UFC gold at stake. Whether or not the stars align for such a matchup remains to be seen.

Do you believe Carlos Prates could pull off a shocker against Islam Makhachev? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Continue Reading

MMA

Max Holloway questions Islam Makhachev walking around with 2 belts, Makhachev responds

Published

on

Max Holloway questions Islam Makhachev walking around with 2 belts, Makhachev responds

Max Holloway has some questions about Islam Makhachev's style choices, namely the choice to carry not one, but two belts on his person.

Makhachev recorded the first successful defense of his welterweight title this past Saturday in the main event of UFC 330 with a unanimous decision win over Ian Machado Garry. Having previously defended the lightweight title four times, Makhachev joined Henry Cejudo, Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, and Amanda Nunes as the only UFC fighters to successfully defend belts in two weight classes.

However, Makhachev vacated the 155-pound title to move up to 170, and the lightweight title has already been claimed by two other fighters since with Ilia Topuria winning the vacant belt by defeating Charles Oliveira, and now Justin Gaethje currently holding it after upsetting Topuria at UFC White House.

All of that has Holloway confused as to why Makhachev is still sporting double gold.

“Why the f*ck do you have two belts?†Holloway asked on his Kick channel. “For aura? I mean, it is what it is, like, you are, but you're not.â€

It should be noted that a new UFC belt is made every time a fighter wins a championship for the first time, meaning Makhachev still has his own that he won back in 2022, while a new one was made for Topuria. Makhachev is also not the first fighter to walk around with two belts, though as Holloway points out, it doesn't appear as if Makhachev has any plans to return to the lightweight division.

“That was temporary but now you're just defending one belt, bro,†Holloway said. “Why you keep—I don't know. I don't know, guys.â€

Holloway is no stranger to championship glory, having reigned as featherweight king from 2017-2019. He also won the “BMF†title in 2024 with an all-time great knockout of Justin Gaethje at UFC 300.

On Monday afternoon, Makhachev responded to Holloway via a post on MMA Fighting's Instagram.

“I don't know, bro,†Makhachev wrote. “It's even too heavy to hold. But you don't understand, sorry.â€

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending