Boxing
Lopez says the Shakur fight is still “marinated” for 2026
Published
7 months agoon
Teofimo Lopez revealed this last night “meat” [Shakur Stevenson] is still preparing for the megafight scheduled for January 2026. It is still in the negotiation phase. He did not say what the heist involved, but it is believed that the reason delaying the announcement is the division of money and purse.
Stevenson (24-0, 11 KO) would be the B-side in this fight, as he is no match for WBO welterweight champion Teofimo (22-1, 13 KO) in terms of popularity. The Newark, Novel Jersey native was also expected to boost his weight from 135 to challenge Teo for the 140 belt, likely in Novel York on his home turf at Madison Square Garden.
Meat Still Marinated
“The meat is marinated in the refrigerator. Let it marinate,” said Teofimo Lopez Fight about his fight with Shakur Stevenson. “You have to stay informed.
Lopez’s power advantage will be a nightmare for Stevenson, who has nothing to do with him. On July 12, 2025, in Queens, Novel York, he will fight a grueling fight against William Zepeda, in which he was lucky to receive a decision. Zepeda kept Shakur trapped on the ropes throughout the fight, landing constant punches to the body.
The judges awarded it to Stevenson in a unanimous decision over 12 rounds. It wasn’t an basic fight. In the third, Zepeda dropped Stevenson with a right hand, but the referee didn’t count it. The knockdown was obvious. The missed call showed what Mexican fighter Zepeda was up against.
Shakur’s broken arm excuse
Shakur’s frail hands are the reason why the fight with Lopez is postponed to 2026. WX said he will fight Teo now before the end of 2025, but he wants his hands to be there “100%.”
Boxing fans aren’t buying this excuse, seeing as Stevenson delays trying to negotiate a better shot. Some see this as a hope that he can delay the fight to boost the risk of Lopez getting out of shape due to inactivity while waiting for his glass hands to finally heal.
Wolves on 135
Many people see Shakur adding weight as a sneaky, spider-like way to avoid the hungry wolves that stand at his door at 135 pounds, ready to snatch the WBC lightweight belt from him:
- Andy Cruz
- Floyd Schofield
- Raymond Muratalla
- Abdullah Mason
- Sam Noakes
Nation Vegas has been writing about fighting games since 2012 and is currently a featured writer Boxing News 24. Over the years, it has built a reputation for extensive coverage of both major events and emerging prospects, delivering news, fight reports and features that connect with fans around the world.
With over a decade of experience, Nation combines insightful analysis with an accessible style, making his work a trusted source for readers who want to follow sports from every angle. His consistency and passion for boxing have made him a respected voice on the site.
Last update: 19/10/2025
You may like
Boxing
Top trainer Abel Sanchez confidently predicts Fury vs Joshua: ‘I always picked him’
Published
43 minutes agoon
May 24, 2026
Top trainer Abel Sanchez has revealed his predictions for the highly anticipated heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.
The pair are expected to clash later this year, probably in October or November, with ‘AJ’ first having to take care of Kristian Prenga on July 25.
This is his first appearance since scoring the goal sixth round finish to Jake Paul in December which followed his fifth-round loss to Daniel Dubois in September 2024.
It’s also been less than five months since Joshua was involved in a tragic car accident, leaving him mourning the loss of close friends.
Meanwhile, Fury is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Arslanbek Makhmudov last month, when he ended a 16-month sideline following a back-to-back defeat to Oleksandr Usyk in 2024.
However, despite his return to action, the 37-year-old is currently pushing for a second warm-up fight in August, with the likes of Jarrell Miller and Andy Ruiz Jr. among potential opponents.
In any case, former trainer Gennady Golovkin Sanchez always supported Fury in beating Joshua, saying: Professional boxing fans that he sees no reason to change his mind.
“Tyson already has a fight under his belt. Anthony has had some tough personal issues recently, so that could be a factor in how he looks [approaches] fight.
“I hope he’s OK and it will be a great fight. I still pick Tyson to win – I’ve always picked Tyson to win against Joshua. Fury is one of those fighters who sides with his opponent.”
Although Joshua and Fury have signed a contract to fight later this year, the news of a second warm-up fight for “The Gypsy King” only added a layer of uncertainty to the equation.
Boxing
Usyk downplays the size difference when Verhoeven talks about power in Giza
Published
3 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven met at the final press conference before their WBC heavyweight title fight, which was scheduled to take place on Thursday at the foot of the Giza Pyramids in Egypt. According to the organization, this fight, scheduled for Saturday, May 23, will be the first fight for the WBC world title in the region. World Boxing Council. The event was attended by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman.
Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) again referred to his decision to voluntarily defend himself against an opponent from outside the ranks of professional boxing. He considered the fight a personal choice after years of mandatory and unification commitments. “For once, I want to do what I want,” the champion said in an interview with WBC. He also waved away questions about his rival’s physical advantage, telling reporters that “size doesn’t matter” and describing Verhoeven as a “unsafe guy.”
I’m talking to Reuters in the pipeline, Usyk said the location matters more than the result. “It’s significant not only for me. It’s significant for all of boxing, all people and Egypt,” he said. “We are here for the first time. I think after this fight many people will look and say: ‘Oh, it’s possible, maybe we will organize a fight for the pyramids in Egypt, or maybe in Paris.'”
Verhoeven relies on the weight difference
Verhoeven, a longtime GLORY kickboxing champion, built his pre-fight message around the size difference. He is 6-foot-10 and typically weighs between 265 and 275 pounds, while Usyk, a former undisputed cruiserweight, has weighed around 225 pounds in his recent heavyweight fights. In a conversation at the beginning of the preparations, Verhoeven said that a spotless shot would change the course of the match.
“When I take my best shot at him, he will fall because that is a 20-kilogram difference in weight,” Verhoeven said in comments published by Boxing News 24. “He’s like a trained cruiserweight and I’m a natural heavyweight.”
The 37-year-old Dutchman described the crossover as a sign that conventional boundaries in combat sports no longer apply. He told Reuters that the fight “shows that there are no limits to what is possible, which means that in fighting and in different sports, top dogs in different sports are fighting each other and also in every possible place.”
He also described the fight as a meeting of two dominant champions. “I spent twelve years as the undisputed heavyweight kickboxing champion and achieved everything I wanted to achieve,” Verhoeven said, according to MMA mania. “But staying at the top for so long hasn’t reduced the hunger, it’s actually made it stronger. Usyk is the undisputed fighter in boxing. That’s the kind of challenge that motivates me. Undisputed versus undisputed.”
Details of the fight
The winner will receive a WBC belt specially ordered for this occasion. Sulaiman told Reuters he would be called the “King of the Nile Belt”, describing it as a unique trophy for the winner.
The 39-year-old Usyk holds the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight belts and has not fought since he stopped Daniel Dubois in five rounds at Wembley Stadium in July last year. After a long career in kickboxing, Verhoeven begins his career with a 1-0 record in professional boxing. The 12-round fight is for the WBC heavyweight championship and will be broadcast on DAZN pay-per-view.
Boxing
Hamzah Sheeraz takes aim at Canelo Alvarez after winning the WBO title
Published
5 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
“I believe he is one of the goats in boxing. It would be an honor to share the ring with him and if I get the chance, I will definitely win,” Hamzah said after his victory over Begic.
Sheeraz made this comment after saying he plans to win more super middleweight titles after moving up from 160 pounds.
“I’ll fight anyone. Look, there were boxing kings in the ring tonight and I’m trying to follow in their footsteps. So I’m just going to beat whoever I put in front of me.”
“So I’m going to take all the belts this time and inshallah, next year you will be able to see Hamzah Sheeraz as the unified champion in the 168 division,” Hamzah said.
The path to a Sheeraz-Canelo fight could open quickly if Alvarez defeats Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad. Canelo’s victory will likely allow him to retain the WBC title again, while Sheeraz now holds the WBO belt after Saturday’s victory.
This would give Riyadh Season a ready-made unification fight between the two marquee names at 168 pounds.
Sheeraz’s team already seems interested in forcing the fight. Manager Spencer Brown pointed openly at Canelo after the fight when discussing the newly crowned champion’s next step.
“We are marching in the face of Canelo boxing,” Brown said.
“This is the fight we want.”
Maybe it’s finally time for Sheeraz. He has picked up back-to-back stoppage wins since moving up to super middleweight, and his size and offensive style appear to be better at 168 pounds than they were at the end of his middleweight career.
Canelo is still the bigger star by a mile, but Riyad has shown he’s willing to take on younger, undefeated fighters against established fighters if enough belts are on the line. Sheeraz seemed to be part of that conversation on Saturday night.

Robert Segal is a boxing reporter at Boxing News 24 with over a decade of experience covering fight news, previews and analysis. Known for his first-hand reporting and in-ring perspective, he delivers authoritative coverage of champions, challengers and emerging talent from around the world.
Top trainer Abel Sanchez confidently predicts Fury vs Joshua: ‘I always picked him’
Usyk downplays the size difference when Verhoeven talks about power in Giza
“I HAD TO F***ING GO FOR IT!” – Daniel Dubois on being KNOCKED DOWN by Wardley
Pacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
Dmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
Stephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
“I HAD TO F***ING GO FOR IT!” – Daniel Dubois on being KNOCKED DOWN by Wardley
“REF – WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!” Rico Verhoeven Trainer Peter Fury RAGES Over Oleksandr Usyk KO Loss
Jake Paul RIPS Conor McGregor’s Return: “The Cokehead Is Back!” — REACTS to Rousey Beating Carano
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



