Connect with us

MMA

Khalil Rountree's coach convinced him to avoid fighting Magomed Ankalaev injured: "He was going to do it"

Published

on

Khalil Rountree's coach convinced him to avoid fighting Magomed Ankalaev injured: "He was going to do it"

Khalil Rountree had every intention of making the UFC Abu Dhabi trip, but his coach made him think better of the situation.

Rountree was scheduled to meet Magomed Ankalaev this past Saturday for a pivotal light heavyweight bout inside Etihad Arena. “The War Horse†ultimately pulled out of the fight due to an injury. Bogdan Guskov stepped in, and he was finished in the fifth round via TKO.

Jake Noecker of Home of Fight got a chance to speak with Rountree's coach John Wood. The Syndicate MMA leader revealed that he had to convince Rountree to remove himself from the planned bout with Ankalaev because the opportunity was too great to walk in compromised (via MMAJunkie).

“I don't think it's going to be that serious,†Wood said. “Fortunately, we kind of escaped any kind of surgical stuff, but for sure, it was a hindrance in camp that it got to a point where he couldn't really do much. And in a fight that big, man, those are the decisions that suck. He really didn't actually even want to – he was going to do it. He was full on and had the conversations like, ‘You know what? I'm just going to bite down and go.' I kind of made the decision of like, ‘No, dude. This is too big of an opportunity, too big of a situation, you're fighting the No. 1 contender.' You might as well be fighting almost for a title at that point in time.â€

While the decision wasn't an easy one to make, the good news is that Rountree's team believes he'll be good to go in the near future. Rountree remains a top name in the 205-pound division, and perhaps his name will be called again for a fight against the likes of Ankalaev or even Paulo Costa.

Reigning UFC light heavyweight titleholder Carlos Ulberg, who is also sidelined with an injury, suggested Rountree vs. Costa and Ankalaev vs. Jiri Prochazka. Ulberg believes the more impressive winner of the two fights can challenge him for the 205-pound gold.

Who do you want to see Khalil Rountree fight next once he recovers from his injury? Sound off in the comments below.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Next up? Islam Makhachev names most deserving title challenger

Published

on

Next up? Islam Makhachev names most deserving title challenger
Islam
Makhachev has named the ideal next challenger for his
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title.

Makhachev retained his belt with a hard-fought victory over
Ian
Garry at UFC
330 in Philadelphia. The Russian revealed that Carlos
Prates is the preferred next opponent after recording his first
title defense at welterweight.

Islam Makhachev backs Carlos Prates for next UFC welterweight
title shot

Prates and Michael
Morales, who were both in attendance at UFC 330, are in the
running for the next title shot, with Makhachev believing the
Brazilian currently has the stronger case. He dismissed Shavkat
Rakhmonov, who's been sidelined with injuries since December
2024, and Morales, who hasn't been as active as Prates.

“If you ask me today, Shavkat [Rakhmonov] is not fighting; Prates
is still fighting, still active,†Makhachev said during the
Paramount+ post-fight show. “Morales also is good, but I don't
remember the last time he fought. If you ask who is more deserving,
I think Carlos Prates.â€

Morales and Rakhmonov are both unbeaten, while Prates holds a
record of 24-7. The latter's last loss came against Garry in April
2025, but he has remained active since then, picking up finishes
against Geoff Neal
and two former champs: Leon
Edwards and Jack
Della Maddalena.

Continue Reading

MMA

UFC champion blasts retired coach for ’sh*t’ performance at UFC 330

Published

on

UFC champion blasts retired coach for ’sh*t’ performance at UFC 330

Sean Strickland has harsh words for Din Thomas after UFC 330.

A former fighter and veteran MMA coach, Thomas ended up at the center of a social media storm this past weekend after announcing his retirement from corner work following his fighter Gillian Robertson's loss to strawweight champion Mackenzie Dern in Saturday's UFC 330 co-main event.

Following Din's comments, fans and media members criticized Thomas for choosing a low moment to abandon Robertson, who he's coached for years. Now, Strickland is adding his two cents and he's not being diplomatic about it.

“Din Thomas is a f*cking c*nt,†Strickland wrote on Twitter. “I've had my ass kicked in multiple weight classes through my career and won two titles. You're a dickhead. It's probably better you retire. You're a shit coach.

“You only lose when you quit. Din sounds like you're a f*cking loser.â€

Strickland's response carries some weight given his own career experiences. As he pointed out, he began his career as a promising welterweight with an uneven record before moving up to 185 pounds where he established himself as a contender before breaking through and winning a UFC title with a memorable upset of Israel Adesanya in 2023. He is currently in his second reign as middleweight champion after defeating the previously unbeaten Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 328 this past May.

Whether Thomas intended to slight Robertson or not, his retirement announcement came at an awkward time given how his fighter struggled in her five-round loss to Dern. Robertson went 5-0 after dropping down to 115 pounds to earn her title shot and was aiming to become Canada's first UFC champion since Georges St-Pierre.

Strickland defended Robertson's effort replying to a Twitter commenter.

“He's just a c*nt,†Strickland said. “Girl goes out there and tries to do something and you put her down. Dickhead.â€

Continue Reading

MMA

Mackenzie Dern names three potential opponents following UFC 330 win

Published

on

Mackenzie Dern names three potential opponents following UFC 330 win
Mackenzie
Dern has already started looking ahead after defending her

Ultimate Fighting Championship title.

Dern (17-5) thoroughly outclassed Gillian
Robertson at UFC
330, using her grappling to secure a unanimous decision and
retain the strawweight belt in Philadelphia. She's now name-dropped
who could be next in line for a title shot.

Mackenzie Dern names Weili Zhang, Tatiana Suarez and Lupita
Godinez as possible UFC title challengers

When asked in a post-fight interview who she could face next, Dern
initially admitted she's unsure. She claimed the next challenger
for the 115-pound throne could be Tatiana
Suarez (12-1), Lupita
Godinez (14-6), or former champ Weili Zhang
(26-4).

“I know there's Tatiana, Weili… Who else? Lupita could be coming up
pretty soon,†Dern said.

Godinez is unlikely next in line, having lost three of her last
five bouts. Moreover, the Mexican contender has already lost to
Dern.

Suarez previously challenged for UFC gold, losing to Zhang in
February last year. The former then bounced back with two wins,
beating Amanda
Lemos and Godinez. Meanwhile, Zhang vacated the title after
beating Suarez to challenge for the women's flyweight title, but
lost to current 125-pound queen Valentina
Shevchenko.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending