Connect with us

MMA

Khabib Nurmagomedov criticizes Magomed Zaynukov despite UFC debut win

Published

on

Khabib Nurmagomedov criticizes Magomed Zaynukov despite UFC debut win
Magomed
Zaynukov received some criticism from Khabib
Nurmagomedov despite a successful
Ultimate Fighting Championship debut.

Zaynukov took on fellow debutant Damian
Rzepecki (10-1) in a lightweight matchup at
UFC Abu Dhabi. The Russian unleashed vicious elbows to batter
Rzepecki, who showed immense heart in going the distance. “Wild
Chanco†eventually earned a unanimous decision win, handing
Rzepecki his first professional loss.

What Khabib Told Magomed Zaynukov after his UFC Abu Dhabi
victory

However, Zaynukov's teammate and mentor Nurmagomedov still found a
flaw in his performance. While the UFC Hall of Famer lauded
Zaynukov on his win, he didn't like the young prospect from his
team missing a takedown. Meanwhile, fellow teammate Islam
Makhachev congratulated Zaynukov on the exciting victory.

“Yeah, we spoke immediately after I got out of the cage,†Zaynukov
said at the post-fight press conference. “Khabib said that it was a
great fight, it was an exciting fight, fun fight. ‘But you missed a
takedown,' he said, ‘And that's not OK.' Islam just said,
‘Congratulations, that was a fun, exciting fight.' But they kind of
expected that this was going to be that type of fight.â€

Zaynukov (9-0) was already quite popular on social media even
before earning his UFC contract on
Dana White's Contender Series last year. The 31-year-old had
significant hype behind him going into his Octagon debut in Abu
Dhabi, further boosted by the viral “John Pork†meme.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Arman Tsarukyan: Usman Nurmagomedov beats almost every UFC lightweight

Published

on

Arman Tsarukyan: Usman Nurmagomedov beats almost every UFC lightweight
Arman
Tsarukyan believes Usman
Nurmagomedov is better than most
Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweights.

Nurmagomedov fought out his
Professional Fighters League contract by defending his
lightweight title against Archie
Colgan. He is currently the most sought-after free agent in
mixed martial arts. Tsarukyan claims the undefeated Russian beats
most 155-pounders in the UFC.

Arman Tsarukyan says Usman Nurmagomedov is a threat to nearly
every UFC lightweight

Tsarukyan claims Nurmagomedov (22-0) beats almost everyone in the
UFC lightweight division except him. The top-ranked lightweight
even believes that Nurmagomedov beats current UFC champion Justin
Gaethje. However, Tsarukyan says the Dagestani hasn't been
tested at the highest level in the PFL.

“He can beat a lot of guys in our division because, stylistically,
he's so good,†Tsarukyan told Ariel Helwani. “He can wrestle; he
can strike. But there are tough guys too, so let's see. Because in
PFL there is no competition… Yes, [he beats Gaethje]. Almost, yes
[I think he beats almost everyone in the division except me].â€

According to Tsarukyan, while the former PFL star is dangerous
everywhere, some UFC lightweights can still be a threat to the
undefeated Dagestani. He believes the surging Quillan
Salkilld and former champ Charles
Oliveira would be interesting matchups against Nurmagomedov. As
for himself, Tsarukyan is focused on becoming a champion before he
can consider fighting Nurmagomedov.

Cris Cyborg's
final MMA bout headlines PFL Tampa: Tune in on Saturday, Aug. 22 at
10 p.m. ET on ESPN.

“There are some new guys we have to see. The guy who choked out
Gamrot… That guy is good,†Tsarukyan added. “Charles Oliveira
would be an interesting fight too because Charles can do some
submissions, take his back, choke him out, but Usman is good
everywhere, so he's dangerous for everyone. He's legit… I've got to
do my work, become a champion, and then we can talk.â€

Tsarukyan looks to further strengthen his case for a title shot
when he takes on Mauricio
Ruffy at UFC
331.

Continue Reading

MMA

Jalin Turner reveals UFC contract status after 39-second knockout

Published

on

Jalin Turner reveals UFC contract status after 39-second knockout
Jalin
Turner's recent win marked the start of a new
Ultimate Fighting Championship contract.

Turner took on Kaue
Fernandes in a lightweight tilt at UFC
330. “The Tarantula†took just 39 seconds to finish Fernandes,
earning a $100k performance bonus for his knockout win. Turner now
has four fights left on his current deal and recently revealed
whether he wanted to test free agency after his last contract ran
out.

Jalin Turner signed a five-fight UFC deal after his previous
contract expired

Turner's previous contract expired with his knockout win over
Edson
Barboza last December. Notably, that bout marked his Octagon
return after a brief retirement. Beating Barboza in the first round
warranted a new deal in the eyes of the promotion and Turner
subsequently signed a five-fight contract.

“My deal was up,†Turner told Ariel Helwani. “Barboza was the last
fight on my contract. So, I just signed a new five-fight deal with
the UFC.â€

Turner seemingly wasn’t too keen on free agency. He let his manager
handle offers from other promotions and negotiations with the UFC,
ultimately returning to the promotion.

“I let my manager handle all that,†Turner added. “I'm happy with
the UFC. I ain't saying nothing else about it. I mean I heard some
talks [about other offers]. But ultimately, the UFC came through;
they always come through. So, I'm still here. I'm happy. I can't
complain.â€

Turner (16-9) briefly retired from fighting following a loss to
Ignacio
Bahamondes last year. He claimed that he was emotionally
burdened by the idea of hurting others, especially after his
slugfest against Dan Hooker
and a vicious knockout of King Green.
However, Turner then came out of retirement with a changed mindset
and has since scored back-to-back first-round knockout wins.

Continue Reading

MMA

Kamaru Usman confident he can beat Islam Makhachev: ‘Styles make fights’

Published

on

Kamaru Usman confident he can beat Islam Makhachev: ‘Styles make fights’
Kamaru
Usman believes he is a dangerous stylistic matchup for Islam
Makhachev.

Makhachev put his
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title on the line
for the first time against Ian Garry at
UFC
330. While he retained his belt via unanimous decision, the
Dagestani champion was pushed to the limit and had to dig deep.
After his second welterweight bout, Usman claims he can beat
Makhachev if they were matched up.

Kamaru Usman backs his style against Islam Makhachev after UFC
330

While Usman acknowledges the new crop of contenders at
welterweight, the former champ believes he remains a serious threat
to Makhachev.

“There are really good guys coming up that are going to turn into
killers,†Usman said on the “Pound 4 Pound†podcast. “But right
now, being honest with you, with all the styles that I see and the
MMA mathematics… How it works out, I felt that, hey, styles make
fights, I'm telling you guys, I can get that done.â€

Usman was rallying for a title shot against Makhachev when the
latter dethroned Jack
Della Maddalena last November. Even Makhachev acknowledged “The
Nigerian Nightmare†as his biggest threat at the time. However,
Usman's lengthy Octagon hiatus saw contenders like Garry, Carlos
Prates and Michael
Morales overtake him in the pecking order at 170 pounds.

Usman (21-5) lost his welterweight title in a shock knockout upset
to Leon
Edwards in 2022 and lost the rematch the following year. Usman
then suffered a hard-fought majority-decision loss in a
middleweight bout against Khamzat
Chimaev.

The former champ then dropped back to welterweight and returned
after a 20-month hiatus to beat Joaquin
Buckley last year. After unsuccessfully rallying for a title
shot against Makhachev, Usman moved back up to middleweight and
suffered a unanimous decision loss against Dricus Du
Plessis.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending