Boxing
Jaime Munguia says a rematch with Canelo Alvarez is still possible
Published
3 weeks agoon
Munguia (45-2) returns on May 2 in Las Vegas against WBA super middleweight titleholder Armando Resendiz. This fight will provide him with a direct path to a return to title contention. He currently trains under Eddy Reynoso, Canelo’s longtime trainer, which adds extra appeal to his achievements in the league.
Alvarez is expected to return to 168 pounds later this year following his September loss to Terence Crawford, leaving open the possibility that the two will fight for titles on separate circuits.
Their first fight in 2024 ended with a clear victory for Canelo, who defended his undisputed super middleweight title. Munguia has since made it clear that he is open to a second meeting, but only if both players return to their positions.
If Munguia wins against Resendiz on Saturday night, the student-versus-teacher storyline with Eddy Reynoso will become a powerful promotional hook.
If Resendiz wins, Canelo will be able to fight a fresh Mexican face who currently holds a world title, satisfying his desire to remain champion while also providing fans with a fan-friendly fight.
By targeting this winner, Canelo can secure a world title and a massive commercial event in Riyad or Las Vegas, while avoiding the stylistic headaches of other division titleists.
This is the definition of “secure” matchmaking, and fans tend to pick up on it quickly. If Canelo targets the May 2 winner, it will look like a business decision cloaked in competitiveness.
Dan Ambrose is a boxing journalist at Boxing News 24, respected for his direct analysis and extensive coverage of the global fighting landscape. His reports focus on the most significant fights, division development and the most discussed stories in sports.
You may like
Boxing
Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on the weight they will fight at: “What are we waiting for?”
Published
55 minutes agoon
May 21, 2026
Even though the weight limit was previously a major point of contention in the fight between Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia, the two currently appear to be on the same side.
Stevenson easily defeated Teofimo Lopez in January win the WBO super-lightweight title and become a four-division world champion at the age of just 28, which will see him move up the pound-for-pound rankings.
Since then, Stevenson has been linked to numerous fights, perhaps none bigger than Ryan Garcia, but the Newark fighter maintained that he either wanted to fight at the 144-pound catchweight or wanted a hydration clause in any fight up to 147 pounds.
But speaking further ESPN’s “First Take” Garcia revealed that he was informed by his team that he would be able to move up to Stevenson’s division in the fight for the super lightweight world titles.
“My strength and conditioning coach thinks and believes that I can easily make 140 pounds. I trust the people on my team, if the opportunity arises, I would love to fight Shakur.”
This may be wishful thinking, as Garcia’s last attempt at breaking the super lightweight weight limit was against Devin Haney in 2023, when he tipped the scales by 3 pounds.
Regardless, Stevenson was quick to respond on social media, very willing to take up the challenge.
“So what are we waiting for? Let’s get vigorous, Ryan Garcia.”
While a Stevenson-Garcia fight would be a huge event, the Californian is expected to remain at welterweight to fulfill his WBC mandatory against Conor Benn, whom he announced he will fight in September.
It leaves options for Stevenson, who also has his eye on Devin Haney, who needs a promotion, and Raymond Muratalla, which would mean a return to lightweight. Ultimately, he may decide to stay at 140 pounds to defend his WBO belt.
Boxing
Manny Robles says the fight against Mbilli won’t be simple for Canelo
Published
3 hours agoon
May 20, 2026
Canelo Alvarez will not take a pliable fight to Christian Mbilli, says trainer Manny Robles, who believes the undefeated contender will cause the Mexican star earnest problems in September.
This week, Robles shared his thoughts on the Sept. 12 fight while in Egypt, where he warned that WBC super middleweight champion Mbilli would have to give Canelo a tough test after a year outside the ring.
“Canelo won’t take an simple fight, right? And Mbilli is not a pushover. Yes. Yes. And Mbilli is a very, very good fighter. Tough, come forward. I believe Canelo will definitely have his hands full. But Canelo is Canelo. You know, definitely one of the best fighters in the world,” Robles told Ring Magazine.
Robles stopped compact of picking a winner, but his comments echo concerns some fans have expressed about Canelo returning to fight an aggressive, high-pressure fighter after a year out of the ring following his loss to Terence Crawford last September.
Mbilli (29-0-1, 24 KO) built his reputation on constant pressure, strenuous striking and 168-pound physical strength. The undefeated contender has also been publicly calling for a fight with Canelo for over a year, repeatedly saying he believes the time is right.
The September fight is expected to be the main event of the season in Riyad, Saudi Arabia. Canelo, 35, will enter the fight looking to avoid a second straight defeat after a loss to Crawford interrupted his recent run at the top.

Dan Ambrose is a boxing journalist at Boxing News 24, respected for his direct analysis and extensive coverage of the global fighting landscape. His reports focus on the most essential fights, division development and the most discussed stories in sports.
Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter
Related boxing news:
Last updated: 20/05/2026 at 22:19
Boxing
Angelo Dundee predicted Marquez Pacquiao’s nightmare before his death
Published
5 hours agoon
May 20, 2026
Months before his death, legendary trainer Angelo Dundee predicted that Juan Manuel Marquez would finally defeat Manny Pacquiao – shortly before the knockout that changed boxing forever.
Dundee, one of the brightest minds in sports history, predicted this in 2011 when discussing Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather and the growing tension around both rivalries.
The Hall of Fame trainer who guided Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard through some of boxing’s greatest nights noticed something that many others at the time ignored or underestimated.
“Marquez will fight a tough fight against Pacquiao every day he is alive,” Dundee said in an interview with Lem Satterfield in Ring.
“Probably Pacquiao’s toughest fight because Marquez is a guy who knows how to fight him.
“Split Decisions – Marquez.”
Pacquiao continued to be one of the most destructive forces in the sport and entered Marquez’s fourth fight as the overwhelming favorite, despite years of razor-sharp controversy between the two.
But Dundee realized something that finally couldn’t be denied.
Marquez never stopped believing he could beat Pacquiao.
Angelo Dundee predictions
Before the knockout that forever defined their rivalry, Marquez had been chasing an emphatic victory over Pacquiao for years.
Their first fight ended in a draw. Pacquiao then scored two narrow contest victories that many fans still debate.
Marquez refused to let the rivalry end and became obsessed with proving that he could finally defeat Pacquiao once and for all.
In 2012, he finally got the ending he wanted.
The right hand that left Pacquiao unconscious face to face immediately became one of the most repeated knockouts in boxing history.
Marquez later admitted he feared he had seriously injured Pacquiao after seeing his rival remain motionless following the knockout.
“When I reacted to Pacquiao, he still looked knocked out,” Marquez recalled years later.
“When I saw he reacted and was coming back to life, I was content.”
For many fans, the knockout permanently changed the perception of Pacquiao’s career.
Previously, World Boxing News examined how Timothy Bradley’s controversial defeat earlier this year could have pushed Pacquiao towards a fourth fight with Marquez, carrying more pressure and urgency than ever before.
That desperation could have created exactly the opening Marquez needed.
Dundee somehow saw the danger before anyone else.
Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather
That’s not the end of Dundee’s knowledge of Pacquiao.
While discussing a potential fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, Dundee also supported Mayweather’s victory while questioning why the fight is taking so long.
Dundee didn’t know it would take another three years to get them both into the ropes.
“Mayweather wins,” Dundee said.
“I just don’t know why Mayweather doesn’t fight him.
“He goes around saying he’s the best fighter in the world? Well, fight the sucker. I think he beats Pacquiao.”
History eventually proved that Dundee was there too.
Mayweather defeated Pacquiao by unanimous decision in 2015 and retired undefeated.
Now, more than a decade later, Pacquiao is preparing for one last attempt to rewrite this rivalry when the two meet again in a Netflix-backed rematch later this year.
Ironically, Pacquiao himself recently admitted that he wants to give Mayweather the final ending that Marquez once gave him.
“I want Floyd to live with one defeat in his professional record and always remember who gave it to him,” Pacquiao said earlier this year.
Pacquiao is now chasing the kind of ending that Marquez once took from him.
Punch heard around the world
Dundee was a boxing legend. It was an honor to continue to have him with me as World Boxing News entered boxing in 2010.
Unfortunately, boxing lost Angelo in 2012 just weeks after he predicted that Marquez would finally beat Pacquiao.
Ali’s former coach was one of the few who predicted the Mexican’s greatest triumph before lightning finally struck.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.
Shakur Stevenson and Ryan Garcia agree on the weight they will fight at: “What are we waiting for?”
Francis Ngannou RESPONDS to Jon Jones: “I Want To Fight!” | POST-FIGHT PRESS CONFERENCE
Barry McGuigan BRUTALLY HONEST on BATTERING Fabio Wardley took – “I’D NEVER FIGHT AGAIN!”
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



