Eddie Hearn says he and Jaron “Boots” Ennis will travel to Texas to be ringside for the Vergil Ortiz Jr. fight. vs. Erickson Lubin, which will take place on November 8 at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, Texas.
Pressure tactics in the ring in Fort Worth
Matchroom promoter Hearn hopes to put pressure on Vergil Jr. (23-0, 21 KO) and his promoters at Golden Boy to fight Ennis next. Hearn states that they stopped talking. That’s why he wants to stand at the ring and push for the fight.
“March,” said promoter Eddie Hearn Carlos Linares on when Jaron “Boots” Ennis’ next fight is scheduled to take place. “Me and Ennis are going to fly to Dallas to watch Vergil Ortiz because we want that fight,” Hearn said of he and Ennis being ringside for Vergil’s fight against Erickson Lubin on November 8 in Fort Worth, Texas.
Even if this pressure tactic from Hearn and Ennis doesn’t work, it will at least give “Boots” a chance to be seen by fans across the country on DAZN. At some point cameramen will approach him and he will probably be interviewed. It’s worth something.
“DAZN told us to do this fight. We all met with Golden Boy. We agreed to this fight. We didn’t hear anything. So we’ll be at ringside to say, “Let’s fight.” said Hearn of his plans for him and Ennis to be ringside for the Ortiz Jr. fight. vs. Lubin, which will take place on November 8.
The Golden Boy’s silence raises questions
It is worth seeking the presence of Hearn and “Boots” at the Ortiz Jr.-Erickson fight, but this does not guarantee that the fight will take place. It’s telling that Golden Boy Promotions has remained hushed about staging a fight between Vergil Jr. and Ennis. That’s a huge indication that they’ve changed their minds about wanting to do this fight. Usually when promoter Oscar De La Hoya wants to fight someone for Vergil Jr., he causes a storm. In this case he wasn’t talking about fighting.
Plan B: Ennis vs. Abass Baraou at 154
Perhaps it would be better if Hearn started thinking about option B for Ennis if Vergil Jr. and Golden Boy decide not to fight. The logical choice would be for Ennis to operate his interim WBA 154-pound title to fight WBA champion Abass Baraou for the belt. This is a fight that can be easily made and one that “Boots” could win. It won’t be simple because Baraou is tough and intends to punish Ennis.
Top-tier option: Xander Zayas in the mix
“We talked to Top Rank. We said, ‘Listen, why don’t you do the fight in Puerto Rico and then we’ll fight on Puerto Rican Day at Madison Square Garden.’ That would be huge. We’ll see. We want all the huge fights. Jaron Ennis will fight anyone at 154 pounds. We’re talking [with Top Rank]” Hearn said of the fight between “Boots” Ennis and WBO junior middleweight champion Xander Zayas.
The chances that Top Rank will allow 23-year-old Zayas to defend his WBO title against Ennis are slim. This would be an extremely risky fight for Xander considering this is his first defense of the 154-pound title. He doesn’t yet have the experience to face a fighter of “Boots” Ennis’ level. Surprisingly, Hearn agreed with this idea.
Zayas won the vacant WBO title last summer, defeating Jorge Garcia Perez via 12-round unanimous decision on July 26, 2025. It was the perfect situation for Zayas to win the belt. If it had been Ennis or Vergil Ortiz Jr. with Zayas fighting for the vacant WBO title, you can imagine what the outcome would have been for the youngster.
Tom Galm has been energetic on the global boxing scene since 2014, specializing in heavyweight analysis, business trends and fighter psychology.