Connect with us

Boxing

Galal Yafai goals will return to Japan for the auction of the flying title

Published

on

Galal Yafai has nice memories of his last visit to Japan, and on Saturday evening he will strive to reserve a return trip.

Yafai (9-0, 7 Kos), 32, which won gold in the Flyight Wagi Competition at 52 kg at the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2021, Francisco Rodriguez Jr. (39-6-1, 27 Kos), 32, in Bishop Pulse Live Arena (formerly Arena NEC)) in your home Birmingham, England, on Saturday.

Winner Yafai vs. Rodrigues for the ephemeral title WBC Flyight will proceed in the face of the winner of the clash between the Japanese WBC World Flyight, Kenshiro Teraji (25-1, 16 Kos) and Ricardo Rafael Sandoval (26-2, 18 Kos), from California, in Yokohama, Japan, July 30.

“If Teraji came and win on Saturday, I would like to go to Japan and fight him at the end of the year,” said Yafai Espn.

“I won the Olympic gold medal in Japan. I have good memories of this place and I liked my time there. This is a good omen my story, and it would be nice to go back and win my first world title after winning the Games there.

“Japan is a great country for smaller burdens, it currently has a great tradition with several great warriors, but first I have to defeat Rodrigues before I start thinking about it.”

Yafai looks more than ready for the first world championship after the detention of the former IBF world champion and English rival Sunlit Edwards in round 6 in November November WBC in November last year.

But Yafai, who worked at the car factory before starting an amateur boxing career, realizes that he is against an experienced opponent and is probably ready for a long night than his victory over Edwards Versus Rodrigues, who leaves the division to face the English boxer.

Rodrigues from Monterrey in Mexico was taken by Junto, currently the world weight of Bantamweight No. 1 and WBC-IBF champion, to points in over 10 rounds in 2022, and has not lost since then.

In September 2021, Rodrigues was unanimously overtaken by Kazuto Iok for the title of WBO World Junior Bantamweight, and also unanimously lost points for Donnie Nietes for the title of WBO World Junor Flywer.

“He took such as dug and Iok at a distance, he was in good company and was not detained by these guys, so he is tough,” said Yafai ESPN.

“I am motivated to win titles and want to fight for the full title of the world champion, but you never know in this game what will happen next. I would like to think that if I beat Rodrigues, I will fight for the title of WBC World, but I don’t make decisions.

“I have no idea how long I will continue, because you just don’t know with boxing. I try not to set long -term goals. I would be lucky that I would have another ten fights for five years.”

Such as Skilany and Nayya Inoue have gained many world titles in lighter weight classes, and Yafai has ambitions to box not to fly.

But Yafai insists that the goal was to first win the title of world champion before he starts to call to fight the WBC champion Munior Bantameight, Jesse Bam Rodriguez (21-0, 14 Kos), 25, from Texas.

“I definitely want to pay weight, you have bam [Jesse Rodriguez] In the above ward of weight and he is a great warrior, a huge name, but for now I have an eye on Rodrigues – said Yafai ESPN.

“First, I want to be a world champion in a fly weight, and then I can look at other fights on the divisions about a higher weight. It would be great to go and fight with bam one day, but I did not even fight for the title of world champion.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Canelo Alvarez makes his feelings clear after Verhoeven’s controversial 11th round stoppage against Usyk

Published

on

Canelo Alvarez makes feelings clear on controversial Verhoeven stoppage against Usyk in 11th round

Canelo Alvarez commented on the controversial break between Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven.

The boxing world was buzzing with their reaction Usyk successfully defended his heavyweight crown against Verhoeven at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt.

However, for a long time it seemed that this would not be an effective defense, and the final came in the 11th round when referee Mark Lyson stopped the fight, which many viewers prematurely believed.

Verhoeven performed well above expectations, causing Usyk numerous problems throughout the fight, but although he recovered from the knockdown, the kickboxing star was stopped on his feet and denied the chance to advance to the 12th round.

Tony Bellew believes Verhoeven should be given a chance to continue his career, but Mexican superstar Canelo does not share the same view.

I talk to professional boxing fansCanelo revealed that he agreed with the judge’s decision.

“It was a good fight, I don’t think so [that it was was an early stoppage]I think they saved a brutal knockout.”

Usyk is expected to take some time before deciding on his next move, with some fans calling for an immediate rematch with Verhoeven while others want him to face mandatory WBC title challenger Agit Kabayel now.

As for Canelo, he will return to action in September and will look to reclaim his world titles when he fights WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli in Riyad, Saudi Arabia.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Prince Naseem Hamed’s biopic “Giant” hits the United States on May 22

Published

on

a biopic chronicling the career of former featherweight champion Prince Naseem Hamed will be released in select U.S. theaters and on VOD on May 22. The film stars Amir El-Masry as Hamed and Pierce Brosnan as his longtime trainer Brendan Ingle, with Sylvester Stallone among the executive producers.

Directed and written by Rowan Athale, it premiered at the BFI London Film Festival in October 2025 and was released in the UK and Ireland on January 9, 2026, before arriving in the Middle East via the Red Sea Film Festival. Vertical holds U.S. distribution rights, and the film was financed by AGC Studios and BondIt Media Capital.

What the movie covers

The plot follows Hamed’s rise from Sheffield, England, to a world title under Ingle, an Irish-born steelworker who ran a boxing gym in a church hall. According to the official description, the film also addresses the racism and Islamophobia that Hamed faced in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s, and also focuses on his relationship with Ingle, who died in 2018.

Collider published an exclusive clip from the film on May 21 featuring Hamed’s 1994 fight against Vincenzo Belcastro. In this fight, Hamed won the European bantamweight title in 12 rounds, which was only his 12th professional contest, which was the beginning of his later career.

The warrior behind the film

Hamed, a southpaw of Yemeni heritage, finished his professional career with a 36-1 record and 31 knockouts while holding featherweight titles in multiple sanctioning bodies throughout the 1990s. Now 51, he was known for his unconventional style, pre-fight showmanship and ring walks that often ended with a fall over the top rope. In 2015, he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Following Ingle’s death, Hamed directly attributed his success to his coach Ring that without him he wouldn’t have achieved what he did in sports.

The supporting cast included Toby Stephens as promoter Frank Warren and Katherine Dow Blyton as Alma Ingle. The film lasts 110 minutes.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rico Verhoeven reacts to the loss of Oleksandr Usyk

Published

on

Image: Rico Verhoeven Reacts To Usyk Loss: “I’m Here To Stay”

Rico Verhoeven insists he has proven he belongs in boxing despite an 11th-round loss to Oleksandr Usyk on Saturday night in Egypt.

The former kickboxing champion pushed Usyk much harder than many expected before the referee stepped in tardy in the fight. At the time of the stoppage, two judges had the fight even at 95-95, with the third having Verhoeven ahead 96-94.


“Yeah, it sucks. I felt like I was so close to shocking the world,” Rico Verhoeven told DAZN Boxing after the fight.

“I want to stay here. I think I showed the world that I can definitely box. Even as a kickboxer they told me, ‘Who is this guy? He can’t do anything. It’ll be four or five rounds,’ but I think after four or five rounds we were pretty even in terms of results.”

“So I think it was a crazy, crazy performance. I felt like I was so close to winning, but it is what it is.”

Verhoeven entered the fight as the main underdog against the undefeated unified heavyweight champion, but his physical pressure, size and willingness to trade caused Usyk to struggle during several early and middle rounds.

The performance immediately changed the discussion about Verhoeven’s future in boxing.

Rather than treat the fight as a one-off, the Dutch heavyweight later made it clear that he planned to continue boxing despite the defeat. His comments also reflected the fierceness of the fight before Usyk finally took control in the championship rounds and forced a stoppage.

For much of the fight, Verhoeven looked much more comfortable than many expected against one of boxing’s greatest champions.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Aleksander Usyk

Last updated: 23/05/2026 at 20:20

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending