Connect with us

Boxing

Eubank Jr. vs. Benn: Adam Azim, Jack Cattell on Undercard

Published

on

Copy Link

Adam Azim and Jack Cattell will return to the action based on the Chris Eubank Jr. vs. Conor Benn Rematch on November 15 at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

Azim (13-0, 10 KO) is working on a shot in the title of world champion in welterweight, which in February knocked out the former master Sergey Lipinets. In November he will fight Russian Zaur Abdullaeva.

Twenty -three -year -old Azim is one of the most promising emerging stars in Great Britain, but since the fight against Lipinet at the beginning of the year with the promotional company Boxxer changing transmission partners. The Boxxer agreement with Sky Sports ended in June before the company, run by promoter Ben Shalom, announced a contract with the BBC in August.

Cattell from Matchroom, who also hopes for a challenge for the title, will return to the ring against Ekow Essuman.

Catterall (31-2, 13 KO) was not in the eliminator the title of world champion against Arnold Barboz Jr. In February before the controversial victory over Harlem Eubank in July. Chorley Fighter will face Essuman (22-1, 8 Kos), who in May defeated his former rival Josh Taylor in an intriguing fight for high rates.

The British cruiser’s scale will also appear in Undercard, which was bulky Richard Riakporhe against Tommy Welch, while the younger weight of the average Ismael Davis will face Gilley herself.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Tyson vs. Mayweather exhibition postponed to fall 2026 due to hand injury

Published

on

According to a statement issued Wednesday by BZA PR on behalf of the promotion, the planned exhibition of Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather has been postponed to the fall of 2026 after Tyson suffered a broken arm during training.

The release stated that Tyson, who was photographed in a cast, is recovering and intends to continue fighting once he heals. He described the delay as a brief postponement and said the date, location and broadcast plans for FIGHT SPORTS would be announced soon. According to information, the exhibition was last scheduled for May 30 under agreements with CSI Sports and FIGHT SPORTS.

The fight between the two former champions was first announced in September 2024, and was originally planned for spring 2026. In the following months, the fight took place on several proposed dates and locations without a confirmed broadcaster. The planned date for April 25 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo did not materialize. Veteran reporter Dan Rafael wrote in March that the fight “definitely won’t happen on that date,” citing a source familiar with the plans.

Tyson’s advisor, Amer Abdallah, said Boxing news in April that the contract remained valid and that he believed the fight would continue. Tyson himself admitted that he injured his hand earlier this year.

Tyson (59) last competed in November 2024, when he returned to the professional ring and lost by decision to Jake Paul. Mayweather, who retired with a professional record of 50-0, has not fought professionally since stopping Conor McGregor in 2017, although he still competes in exhibition fights. Mayweather has separately confirmed a June 27 fight against Greek kickboxer Mike Zambidis in Athens and is linked to a September rematch with Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.

CSI Sports, founded by Richard and Craig Miele in 1997, owns the rights to a catalog of championship boxing events and operates the FIGHT SPORTS network. The company said it would debut the up-to-date technology in 2026, without providing further details.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Break in the match Usyk demands WBC intervention after the bell against Verhoeven

Published

on

Image: Usyk Post-Bell Stoppage Against Verhoeven Demands WBC Intervention

So the question is: what options does injured player Rico Verhoeven have to appeal against the referee’s decision? Under the rules of the World Boxing Council (WBC), the sanctioning body for boxing, the Council has the power to correct sedate injustices suffered by aggrieved fighters during major world title fights. Moreover, there is precedent in this case. In 2022, the WBC officially awarded the super featherweight world championship belt to Jeff Fenech, 30 years after his controversial 1991 defeat to Azumah Nelson.

Of course, it would be foolish to suggest that Verhoeven should wait 30 years to make amends and win the world heavyweight title. It can therefore be argued that the WBC Board of Governors should now call a Special Meeting to discuss the Usyk vs. Verhoeven world title fight due to the confusion the result has caused among commentators, fans and even fighters. Everyone is united that this fight was stopped too early.

It is worth noting that current WBC welterweight world champion Ryan Garcia, who was at ringside, claims that the fight was stopped after the end of the 11th round. Others wrote the same on YouTube, with one irate fan even suggesting that the Usyk vs. Verhoeven fight was rigged.

There is a belief, rightly or wrongly, that it would be unacceptable for a professional kickboxer with only one professional fight as a heavyweight boxer to defeat a reigning world heavyweight boxing champion with significantly more heavyweight boxing experience. In tiny, boxing would be seen as a joke in the eyes of many if Verhoeven was allowed to beat Usyk.

But facts are facts. After round 10, the three judges’ scorecards were 95-95, 95-95 and 96-94 in favor of Rico Verhoeven. Round 11 does not count because it was not completed properly and the referee wrongly stopped the fight after the bell.

Politics is present in every workplace. It would be a pity if politics also appeared in professional boxing. To counter this impression, the WBC must do the right thing. A No Contest verdict for this fight will not be enough as it will leave Oleksandr Usyk as the WBC champion. Something more radical needs to be done.

The WBC needs to convince the outside world that anyone can become heavyweight champion of the world if given the opportunity. The WBC sanctioned this boxing fight.

Verhoeven won on points. At the end of the 11th round, Verhoeven was still in doubt. The fight was unfairly stopped. The conclusion is therefore straightforward and will mark a progressive step in professional boxing.

Rico Verhoeven is the modern world heavyweight boxing champion. But it would have sounded better if Michael Buffer had been allowed to make this announcement.

Romer Cherubiny
Independent journalist
Great Britain

Continue Reading

Boxing

Vasily Lomachenko will get an immediate chance to win the world title in his comeback fight

Published

on

Vasiliy Lomachenko set to be given immediate chance to win world title in comeback fight

Vasily Lomachenko can win the world title outright, but only if he decides to fight at 130 pounds.

Either way, the 38-year-old is expected to return to action later this year after his contract with Top Rank expired earlier this month.

As a promotional free agent, “Loma” is expected to fight for the first time since May 2024, when he earned an 11th-round victory over George Kambosos Jr.

Lomachenko thus won the IBF lightweight title after previously being a three-division world champion, with his last 10 professional appearances coming at 135 pounds.

While many expect him to return to lightweight, perhaps in pursuit of a showdown with Gervonta Davis, the Ukrainian could potentially be tempted by a chance at 130 pounds.

In other words, he will get an immediate shot at the world title against unified champion Emanuel Navarrete, who is falling from a dominant position Final in the 11th round against Eduardo “Sugar” Nunez.

This, in turn, led to the unification of the WBO and IBF titles, although it is unclear what options the Mexican is considering for his next fight.

However, one of them may be a fight with Lomachenko, and WBO president Gustavo Olivieri will share his thoughts on this matter via social media.

“Lomachenko is back and if he wants to fight at 130 pounds with Navarrete, I’m sure the WBO Executive Committee [will approve their fight].

“In delicate of his professional merits – [two-time] Olympic [gold] medalist, multi-division champion, WBO super champion, future Hall of Famer – I’m sure the acceptance will be unanimous.”

While a fight with Lomachenko could make sense for both sides, super featherweight contender Charly Suarez will be demanding a mandatory shot against Navarrete if he makes his next fight against Manuel Avila on July 11.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending