Boxing
Deontay Wilder’s opponents are leaving after Anthony Joshua’s snub
Published
3 weeks agoon
Two credible opponents emerged after Deontay Wilder vs. Anthony Joshua finally fell after an eight-year battle for the fight.
As World Boxing News documents from start to finish, after nearly a decade of back-and-forth, a Wilder-Joshua fight is no longer an option.
Joshua now has bigger fish to fry in the UK in 2026 as the former two-time heavyweight champion pushes for a British superfight with Tyson Fury.
Promoter Eddie Hearn effectively ruled out Wilder as a warm-up opponent, leaving the Londoner’s next moves without the “Brown Bomber” involved.
After the summer warm-up, Fury’s double will follow and by the time Joshua is finally free, Wilder will be 42 years aged.
This causes Wilder to look elsewhere.
Deontay Wilder’s opponents
Joshua’s compatriot Moses Itauma has already called for a fight, putting himself in a risky clash with one of the best fighters in the division.
Itauma is already shunned and would be seen as a bad turn for Wilder.
However, what stands out is a potential Pay-Per-View showdown in the United States with Andy Ruiz Jr.
The two were linked to fights between 2020 and 2023, when, ironically, the Tyson Fury trilogy stalled before Ruiz’s contract situation made any agreement impossible.
As previously reported by WBN, talks on financial terms were finally broken off when the fight was already clearly decided.
The interest never went away. WBN also revealed how fan demand for the Wilder vs. Ruiz match had skyrocketed, generating millions of views as fans insisted that the fight would finally happen.
Now, after their September showdown at Allegiant Stadium, Wilder vs. Ruiz is the front-runner if either fighter is to return to the heavyweight world title hunt.
Following Joshua’s departure from the table, Wilder’s next move is under scrutiny and calls for a rematch with Derek Chisora are met with an extremely lukewarm reception.
Whether he takes on an emerging name like Itauma or returns to unfinished business with Ruiz, this decision will impact how he re-enters the heavyweight scene.
The title isn’t out of the question for Wilder, but the next move has to be the right one.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Since 2010, he has interviewed world champions, published exclusive international performances and reported on in-ring performances. His work is distributed on major platforms including Apple News. Read the full biography.
You may like
Boxing
Teofimo Lopez calls Ryan Garcia-Shakur conversation ‘inside’
Published
1 hour agoon
May 18, 2026
Teofimo Lopez doesn’t seem impressed with the growing rumors surrounding a possible fight between Ryan Garcia and Shakur Stevenson.
Ryan said earlier Monday during an appearance on ESPN’s First Take that he believed he could become “the face of boxing,” while Shakur later responded publicly, urging Ryan to continue the fight between the two.
“I have every opportunity to stay the face of boxingbut now I just have to prove it,” Ryan said during his First Take interview with Stephen A. Smith.
“So what are we waiting for, let’s stay vigorous @RyanGarcia,” Shakur later wrote on X.
Teofimo responded shortly afterwards with two separate posts directed at both players.
“These boys dress up and think it’s someone f**k like Comic-Con @RyanGarcia 🦹♂️,” Teofimo wrote in response.
Teofimo later added another response aimed at publicly calling out Shakur to Ryan.
“Middle, middle, middle, skip, skip!” Teofimo continued writing X.
The comments came four months after Shakur defeated Teofimo in January to win the WBO welterweight title. Ryan also recently mentioned Shakur as a potential future 140-pound opponent, even though he currently holds the WBC welterweight title following his February victory over Mario Barrios.
Ryan has fielded several potential opponents recently as he looks for another huge fight later this year. Shakur continued to publicly push for the fight after moving up to 140 pounds, while Teofimo remains linked to the same group of fighters after his January loss.
Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter
Related boxing news:
Last updated: 18/05/2026 at 15:53
Boxing
Timothy Bradley learned the truth about Terence Crawford during a sparring match in 2011
Published
1 hour agoon
May 18, 2026
Timothy Bradley says he learned everything he needed to know about Terence Crawford in his first sparring session – long before most boxing fans even knew who Crawford was.
Bradley recalled the experience, reflecting on Crawford’s mentality and his ability to handle pressure in any situation, describing a juvenile fighter who arrived all by himself and immediately began picking a world champion.
“Let’s go back to 2011 when I first sparred with him,” Bradley explained to ESPN.
“Get this. He got off the plane, his brother-in-law picked him up, he went to the gym. Don’t go to his hotel, rest, no. You took him to the gym, you got off, his bag was still in the car, I put the hooks on.
“No one with him. Think about it, no one with him.”
“He comes into the ring, says hello, in the corner, alone. I had the whole team around me.”
At that time, Bradley was already a two-time world champion, and Crawford was still years away from becoming one of boxing’s pound-for-pound stars.
“And I’m a two-time world champion, think about it,” Bradley continued.
“Nobody gives him any instructions. He comes in there and tears me to pieces.”
Timothy Bradley on Terence Crawford
Bradley explained that what happened the next day convinced him that Crawford had a mentality that few players have.
“And then what? OK, the next day, fine, we’ll spar again. Completely different fighter. No one in the corner again,” Bradley added.
“This guy can mentally handle anything, he can handle any situation.”
The storyline offers a revealing look at Crawford long before his championships, pound-for-pound rankings and superstar reputation.
According to Bradley, the qualities that define Crawford today were obvious even then.
Everything Bradley described about Crawford back then still sounds familiar.
Crawford walked into the hall of champions himself and acted like he already belonged there.
Crawford’s mentality
History shows that Crawford was always himself and had complete confidence in his ability to support himself.
Even as a juvenile fighter just starting his career, walking into a champion’s gym in unfamiliar surroundings and setting it up for Timothy Bradley says a lot about Crawford’s mentality.
Very few players would put themselves in this situation and believe that this is where they belong.
Years later, with Crawford now considered one of the greatest fighters of his generation, Bradley’s story seems less surprising and more an early warning sign of what boxing would ultimately experience.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Read the full biography.
Boxing
This weekend, Team Terence Crawford and Team Canelo will face each other again in the heavyweight elimination final
Published
3 hours agoon
May 18, 2026
The teams behind last year’s blockbuster clash between Terence Crawford and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will go head-to-head again next weekend in Egypt.
Brian “BoMac” McIntyre trained Crawford from his debut until his retirement, and the same can be said for Eddy Reynoso and Canelo when the Mexican decides to hang up the gloves. The two camps went head to head in the biggest fight of 2025, and the Americans emerged victorious, crowning Crawford the undisputed super middleweight champion and handing Alvarez only his third defeat in 68 fights.
This coming weekend at the Pyramids of Giza, “BoMac” and Reynoso will once again be in opposite corners as heavyweights Richard Torrez Jr and Frank Sanchez fight in the IBF final eliminator for a chance to fight champion Oleksandr Usyk, who fights kickboxer Rico Verhoeven in the main event.
Unlike Sanchez, who has been with Reynoso for several years beyond his 2022 absence, Torrez only recently started working with McIntyre at B&B Sports Academy in Omaha.
The respected trainer, who also counts Lester Martinez in his stable and who previously trained Keyshawn Davis, said Top position that he has been impressed so far and expects his up-to-date heavyweight protege to shine this weekend.
“Frank Sanchez is a great player. He has a great team behind him, a great coach. I know for a fact that with Eddye Reynoso, these guys are ready. I wouldn’t accept anything less, and [inactivity] it doesn’t matter to him.
“It’s going to be a tough fight for the first few rounds because the guys will feel each other, try each other’s strength, but the will and determination will fade. And I know one thing – Frank failed. He was stopped. So he knows how to lose. Undefeated, Richard’s silver medalist. The kid hasn’t lost in a dozen years. I’m just looking for him to go out there, do his thing and win for sure.”
After his amateur success with the U.S. national team, Torrez, at the age of 26, established a professional record of 14-0, scoring 12 knockouts and boasting his biggest victory over Guido Vianello. Cuban Sanchez (25-1 (18 KO) lost to Agit Kabayel in 2024, which somewhat dimmed his dreams of a world title, but now he is one step away from achieving it again.
Considering that Usyk-Verhoeven is more of a spectacle than high-level boxing, their clash may turn out to be the most intriguing heavyweight fight in the world. an event that also includes Jack vs. Shakhram Giyasov for the WBA Regular welterweight belt and Hamzeh Sheeraz vs. Al Begic for the vacant WBO super middleweight title previously held by Canelo and Crawford.
Usyk vs Verhoeven: Johnny Nelson predicts shock
Teofimo Lopez calls Ryan Garcia-Shakur conversation ‘inside’
Timothy Bradley learned the truth about Terence Crawford during a sparring match in 2011
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



