Boxing
BrianNorman Jr. may be overtrained
Published
7 months agoon
Coach Greg Hackett says he believes Brian Norman Jr. he may be trained before the fight with Devin Haney, which will take place on November 22.
Too much work, too soon
Hackett notes that this is the first time WBO welterweight champion Norman Jr. (28-0, 22 KO) faced a high-level fighter. He believes that he put in too much work in the month before the fight and considers Brian Jr. for being “over-prepared” for combat.
If Norman Jr. will be overtrained, his strength will still be quite formidable since he doesn’t look massive for the 147-pound weight class. Of the two, Haney (32-0, 16 KO) has a better chance of losing weight because he looks bigger than his middleweight sparring partner, Troy Isley. Devin looks like he weighs over 160, making him a super middleweight.
Haney vs. Norman Jr. will take place on November 22, 2025 in a 12-round main support at the ANB Arena in Riyad, Saudi Arabia. The event will be broadcast live on DAZN PPV.
“The best solution for Norman is a physical fight. Trying to beat Devin Haney, it’s not going to work,” said coach Greg Hackett MillCity Boxing about what Brian Norman Jr. is facing. in a fight with boxing champion Devin Haney.
Norman Jr. he doesn’t make his fights “physical” the way other fighters do. He doesn’t bunny punch, push, wrestle or hit below the belt to win. The way he wins is by hitting every shot tough, applying pressure and forcing his opponents into fights.
Coach Hackett sounds like he’s never watched Norman Jr. fight before. He confused him with other fighters who rely on “physical” fighting.
“Skill set. Devin Haney is just a much better boxer than Norman. He could have gone in there unprepared because he was overprepared,” Hackett said of Norman. “Norman has to be a tenacious dog. He’s tough, he’s mean, but that doesn’t always win fights. This will be a challenge for Norman,” Hackett said.
First real test in 147
There is no doubt that Devin has better skills than Norman Jr. What Coach Hackett fails to mention is that this is Haney’s first real fight at 147 pounds at full weight against a true welterweight. He made his debut in the division earlier this year on May 2, 2025 against former WBC and WBO welterweight champion Jose Ramirez at the 144-pound catchweight.
Olly Campbell’s conclusion: One tidy shot could end Haney’s debut
On November 22, Haney will make his welterweight debut in the true sense of the word against Norman Jr., who many believe is the greatest fighter in the division. Brian Jr. he will test his chin and if he doesn’t get stronger from the Ryan Garcia fight, he will be knocked out. Let’s hope it’s not a stretcher job where Haney leaves the ring in a prone position. If so, it would be a lesson to fighters that they must choose who they fight in their 147-pound debut.
If Haney stays out of range, striking and moving all night long, he will beat Norman Jr. This won’t be a fight like Haney’s last three wins over these fighters: Jose Ramirez, Regis Prograis and Vasily Lomachenko. They were all players in their early 30s and didn’t have the power that 24-year-old Norman Jr. has.
It will be hard for Devin to box for 12 rounds without getting caught. The likelihood that Haney won’t be marked tough enough to knock him down or stun him is low. As of 2021, his punch resistance is too tender as he suffered injuries in fights against the following fighters:
- Jorge Linares – 2021
- Vasily Lomachenko – 2023
- Ryan Garcia – 2024
Haney was feeling good in his last fight against the 33-year-old Ramirez, but he was fighting a tardy fighter who wasn’t throwing punches. Ramirez looked like he put minimal effort into cutting off the ring. His movements showed little urgency.
Last update: 22/10/2025
You may like
Boxing
Usyk downplays the size difference when Verhoeven talks about power in Giza
Published
2 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven met at the final press conference before their WBC heavyweight title fight, which was scheduled to take place on Thursday at the foot of the Giza Pyramids in Egypt. According to the organization, this fight, scheduled for Saturday, May 23, will be the first fight for the WBC world title in the region. World Boxing Council. The event was attended by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman.
Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) again referred to his decision to voluntarily defend himself against an opponent from outside the ranks of professional boxing. He considered the fight a personal choice after years of mandatory and unification commitments. “For once, I want to do what I want,” the champion said in an interview with WBC. He also waved away questions about his rival’s physical advantage, telling reporters that “size doesn’t matter” and describing Verhoeven as a “unsafe guy.”
I’m talking to Reuters in the pipeline, Usyk said the location matters more than the result. “It’s significant not only for me. It’s significant for all of boxing, all people and Egypt,” he said. “We are here for the first time. I think after this fight many people will look and say: ‘Oh, it’s possible, maybe we will organize a fight for the pyramids in Egypt, or maybe in Paris.'”
Verhoeven relies on the weight difference
Verhoeven, a longtime GLORY kickboxing champion, built his pre-fight message around the size difference. He is 6-foot-10 and typically weighs between 265 and 275 pounds, while Usyk, a former undisputed cruiserweight, has weighed around 225 pounds in his recent heavyweight fights. In a conversation at the beginning of the preparations, Verhoeven said that a spotless shot would change the course of the match.
“When I take my best shot at him, he will fall because that is a 20-kilogram difference in weight,” Verhoeven said in comments published by Boxing News 24. “He’s like a trained cruiserweight and I’m a natural heavyweight.”
The 37-year-old Dutchman described the crossover as a sign that conventional boundaries in combat sports no longer apply. He told Reuters that the fight “shows that there are no limits to what is possible, which means that in fighting and in different sports, top dogs in different sports are fighting each other and also in every possible place.”
He also described the fight as a meeting of two dominant champions. “I spent twelve years as the undisputed heavyweight kickboxing champion and achieved everything I wanted to achieve,” Verhoeven said, according to MMA mania. “But staying at the top for so long hasn’t reduced the hunger, it’s actually made it stronger. Usyk is the undisputed fighter in boxing. That’s the kind of challenge that motivates me. Undisputed versus undisputed.”
Details of the fight
The winner will receive a WBC belt specially ordered for this occasion. Sulaiman told Reuters he would be called the “King of the Nile Belt”, describing it as a unique trophy for the winner.
The 39-year-old Usyk holds the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight belts and has not fought since he stopped Daniel Dubois in five rounds at Wembley Stadium in July last year. After a long career in kickboxing, Verhoeven begins his career with a 1-0 record in professional boxing. The 12-round fight is for the WBC heavyweight championship and will be broadcast on DAZN pay-per-view.
Boxing
Hamzah Sheeraz takes aim at Canelo Alvarez after winning the WBO title
Published
4 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
“I believe he is one of the goats in boxing. It would be an honor to share the ring with him and if I get the chance, I will definitely win,” Hamzah said after his victory over Begic.
Sheeraz made this comment after saying he plans to win more super middleweight titles after moving up from 160 pounds.
“I’ll fight anyone. Look, there were boxing kings in the ring tonight and I’m trying to follow in their footsteps. So I’m just going to beat whoever I put in front of me.”
“So I’m going to take all the belts this time and inshallah, next year you will be able to see Hamzah Sheeraz as the unified champion in the 168 division,” Hamzah said.
The path to a Sheeraz-Canelo fight could open quickly if Alvarez defeats Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad. Canelo’s victory will likely allow him to retain the WBC title again, while Sheeraz now holds the WBO belt after Saturday’s victory.
This would give Riyadh Season a ready-made unification fight between the two marquee names at 168 pounds.
Sheeraz’s team already seems interested in forcing the fight. Manager Spencer Brown pointed openly at Canelo after the fight when discussing the newly crowned champion’s next step.
“We are marching in the face of Canelo boxing,” Brown said.
“This is the fight we want.”
Maybe it’s finally time for Sheeraz. He has picked up back-to-back stoppage wins since moving up to super middleweight, and his size and offensive style appear to be better at 168 pounds than they were at the end of his middleweight career.
Canelo is still the bigger star by a mile, but Riyad has shown he’s willing to take on younger, undefeated fighters against established fighters if enough belts are on the line. Sheeraz seemed to be part of that conversation on Saturday night.

Robert Segal is a boxing reporter at Boxing News 24 with over a decade of experience covering fight news, previews and analysis. Known for his first-hand reporting and in-ring perspective, he delivers authoritative coverage of champions, challengers and emerging talent from around the world.
Boxing
Canelo Alvarez makes his feelings clear after Verhoeven’s controversial 11th round stoppage against Usyk
Published
6 hours agoon
May 24, 2026
Canelo Alvarez commented on the controversial break between Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven.
The boxing world was buzzing with their reaction Usyk successfully defended his heavyweight crown against Verhoeven at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt.
However, for a long time it seemed that this would not be an effective defense, and the final came in the 11th round when referee Mark Lyson stopped the fight, which many viewers prematurely believed.
Verhoeven performed well above expectations, causing Usyk numerous problems throughout the fight, but although he recovered from the knockdown, the kickboxing star was stopped on his feet and denied the chance to advance to the 12th round.
Tony Bellew believes Verhoeven should be given a chance to continue his career, but Mexican superstar Canelo does not share the same view.
I talk to professional boxing fansCanelo revealed that he agreed with the judge’s decision.
“It was a good fight, I don’t think so [that it was was an early stoppage]I think they saved a brutal knockout.”
Usyk is expected to take some time before deciding on his next move, with some fans calling for an immediate rematch with Verhoeven while others want him to face mandatory WBC title challenger Agit Kabayel now.
As for Canelo, he will return to action in September and will look to reclaim his world titles when he fights WBC super middleweight champion Christian Mbilli in Riyad, Saudi Arabia.
Usyk downplays the size difference when Verhoeven talks about power in Giza
“I HAD TO F***ING GO FOR IT!” – Daniel Dubois on being KNOCKED DOWN by Wardley
“REF – WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!” Rico Verhoeven Trainer Peter Fury RAGES Over Oleksandr Usyk KO Loss
Pacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
Dmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
Stephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
“I HAD TO F***ING GO FOR IT!” – Daniel Dubois on being KNOCKED DOWN by Wardley
“REF – WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!” Rico Verhoeven Trainer Peter Fury RAGES Over Oleksandr Usyk KO Loss
Jake Paul RIPS Conor McGregor’s Return: “The Cokehead Is Back!” — REACTS to Rousey Beating Carano
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



