Connect with us

Boxing

Bernie Davis criticizes Bob Arum for Crawford’s defeat

Published

on

Image: Does a Canelo-Crawford Rematch Benefit Anyone Besides Their Bank Accounts?

Terence Crawford’s trainer Bernie “Tha Boxer” Davis dredged up the past today, chiding Bud’s former promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank for not promoting Terence more aggressively than what he did to turn him into a star while he was still with him.

Why Arum gave up too soon

Arum tried for years to make Crawford a star, but to no avail. It wasn’t marketable and it wasn’t economically worth keeping it. Crawford had no charisma outside the ring to make up for what he missed in the ring.

Terence’s performance against Canelo Alvarez on September 13 was a perfect example of why he failed to gain popularity. It’s uninteresting to watch. Winning isn’t enough when you’re a uninteresting fighter and the larger U.S. audience doesn’t want to watch you. Errol Spence was more popular for a reason. He was aggressive.

Turki’s formula versus the highest rank

Arum didn’t have the money to destroy Crawford’s career like Turki Alalshikh. His hit-and-move fighting style did not appeal to the boxing audience, which prefers aggressive, attacking fighters. Turki is in a great position where it can afford to lose money. Arum couldn’t do it, and why would he?

There aren’t enough fans in the US who enjoy watching Tom and Jerry Crawfrord style. His close friend Shakur Stevenson has the same problem. Fans don’t like seeing his uninteresting, safety-first style.

The top position couldn’t monetize Crawford’s wins

“The question is, ‘Do we want to keep him?’ I could build a house in Beverly Hills with the money I lost on it in my last three fights. Attractive house,” Bob Arum said of Crawford.

Bernie’s whole argument is that Crawford wins. Therefore, its promoters should promote it everywhere. The problem is that it’s not just about winning. Organizers want to monetize their events to get a return on their investment.

Bob Arum and Top Rank promoted Crawford for many years, but he failed to make money until he fought Errol Spence in 2023. By then, Crawford was no longer in Arum. This was the only successful PPV fight that Crawford was involved in, and that was because of Spence, not him.

“There are more players ready to take your place, like Shakur Stevenson. He’s ready to take your place,” said coach Bernie Davis MillCity Boxing about his belief that Shakur Stevenson is ready to take Gervonta Davis’ place in the No. 1 spot at 135 when he retires.

“I would still shove Crawford down their throats.”

“Why wouldn’t you double down on Bud Crawford if you’re Bob Arum? I’m going to shove him down their throats. I put Crawford in a fishing commercial. I’m going to keep putting Crawford on because he screams when he gets up under the lights. So I’m putting Crawford everywhere I can put him.”

Arum was right not to double down

If Bernie was losing money on Crawford’s fights, he would think differently. He would pull the plug, just like Arum did when he started losing money repeatedly.

– I bet they do [Top Rank] now they’re biting them in the ass, stupid. Regards, Turki Alalshikh,” Bernie said.

Crawford’s two fights at Turki Alalshikh did not produce the results we saw from Jake Paul. His headliner appearance against Israil Madrimov last year on August 3, 2024 only generated 75,000-100,000 pay-per-view buys on DAZN. Moreover, he failed to sell out BMO Stadium in Los Angeles, even with an entry card.

Crawford cannot sell and Bob Arum did the right thing by not “doubling down” and re-signing him. Despite the massive amounts of money Turki poured into the Canelo Alvarez vs. Crawford, it drew just 41 million viewers on the Netflix streaming platform compared to 108 million viewers for Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson.

Last update: 18/10/2025

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Top trainer Abel Sanchez confidently predicts Fury vs Joshua: ‘I always picked him’

Published

on

Top trainer Abel Sanchez makes confident Fury vs Joshua prediction: “I’ve always picked him”

Top trainer Abel Sanchez has revealed his predictions for the highly anticipated heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.

The pair are expected to clash later this year, probably in October or November, with ‘AJ’ first having to take care of Kristian Prenga on July 25.

This is his first appearance since scoring the goal sixth round finish to Jake Paul in December which followed his fifth-round loss to Daniel Dubois in September 2024.

It’s also been less than five months since Joshua was involved in a tragic car accident, leaving him mourning the loss of close friends.

Meanwhile, Fury is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Arslanbek Makhmudov last month, when he ended a 16-month sideline following a back-to-back defeat to Oleksandr Usyk in 2024.

However, despite his return to action, the 37-year-old is currently pushing for a second warm-up fight in August, with the likes of Jarrell Miller and Andy Ruiz Jr. among potential opponents.

In any case, former trainer Gennady Golovkin Sanchez always supported Fury in beating Joshua, saying: Professional boxing fans that he sees no reason to change his mind.

“Tyson already has a fight under his belt. Anthony has had some tough personal issues recently, so that could be a factor in how he looks [approaches] fight.

“I hope he’s OK and it will be a great fight. I still pick Tyson to win – I’ve always picked Tyson to win against Joshua. Fury is one of those fighters who sides with his opponent.”

Although Joshua and Fury have signed a contract to fight later this year, the news of a second warm-up fight for “The Gypsy King” only added a layer of uncertainty to the equation.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk downplays the size difference when Verhoeven talks about power in Giza

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven met at the final press conference before their WBC heavyweight title fight, which was scheduled to take place on Thursday at the foot of the Giza Pyramids in Egypt. According to the organization, this fight, scheduled for Saturday, May 23, will be the first fight for the WBC world title in the region. World Boxing Council. The event was attended by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman.

Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) again referred to his decision to voluntarily defend himself against an opponent from outside the ranks of professional boxing. He considered the fight a personal choice after years of mandatory and unification commitments. “For once, I want to do what I want,” the champion said in an interview with WBC. He also waved away questions about his rival’s physical advantage, telling reporters that “size doesn’t matter” and describing Verhoeven as a “unsafe guy.”

I’m talking to Reuters in the pipeline, Usyk said the location matters more than the result. “It’s significant not only for me. It’s significant for all of boxing, all people and Egypt,” he said. “We are here for the first time. I think after this fight many people will look and say: ‘Oh, it’s possible, maybe we will organize a fight for the pyramids in Egypt, or maybe in Paris.'”

Verhoeven relies on the weight difference

Verhoeven, a longtime GLORY kickboxing champion, built his pre-fight message around the size difference. He is 6-foot-10 and typically weighs between 265 and 275 pounds, while Usyk, a former undisputed cruiserweight, has weighed around 225 pounds in his recent heavyweight fights. In a conversation at the beginning of the preparations, Verhoeven said that a spotless shot would change the course of the match.

“When I take my best shot at him, he will fall because that is a 20-kilogram difference in weight,” Verhoeven said in comments published by Boxing News 24. “He’s like a trained cruiserweight and I’m a natural heavyweight.”

The 37-year-old Dutchman described the crossover as a sign that conventional boundaries in combat sports no longer apply. He told Reuters that the fight “shows that there are no limits to what is possible, which means that in fighting and in different sports, top dogs in different sports are fighting each other and also in every possible place.”

He also described the fight as a meeting of two dominant champions. “I spent twelve years as the undisputed heavyweight kickboxing champion and achieved everything I wanted to achieve,” Verhoeven said, according to MMA mania. “But staying at the top for so long hasn’t reduced the hunger, it’s actually made it stronger. Usyk is the undisputed fighter in boxing. That’s the kind of challenge that motivates me. Undisputed versus undisputed.”

Details of the fight

The winner will receive a WBC belt specially ordered for this occasion. Sulaiman told Reuters he would be called the “King of the Nile Belt”, describing it as a unique trophy for the winner.

The 39-year-old Usyk holds the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight belts and has not fought since he stopped Daniel Dubois in five rounds at Wembley Stadium in July last year. After a long career in kickboxing, Verhoeven begins his career with a 1-0 record in professional boxing. The 12-round fight is for the WBC heavyweight championship and will be broadcast on DAZN pay-per-view.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Hamzah Sheeraz takes aim at Canelo Alvarez after winning the WBO title

Published

on

Image: Hamzah Sheeraz Still Calls Canelo A “Goat,” Eyes Future Showdown After WBO Title Win

“I believe he is one of the goats in boxing. It would be an honor to share the ring with him and if I get the chance, I will definitely win,” Hamzah said after his victory over Begic.

Sheeraz made this comment after saying he plans to win more super middleweight titles after moving up from 160 pounds.

“I’ll fight anyone. Look, there were boxing kings in the ring tonight and I’m trying to follow in their footsteps. So I’m just going to beat whoever I put in front of me.”

“So I’m going to take all the belts this time and inshallah, next year you will be able to see Hamzah Sheeraz as the unified champion in the 168 division,” Hamzah said.

The path to a Sheeraz-Canelo fight could open quickly if Alvarez defeats Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad. Canelo’s victory will likely allow him to retain the WBC title again, while Sheeraz now holds the WBO belt after Saturday’s victory.

This would give Riyadh Season a ready-made unification fight between the two marquee names at 168 pounds.

Sheeraz’s team already seems interested in forcing the fight. Manager Spencer Brown pointed openly at Canelo after the fight when discussing the newly crowned champion’s next step.

“We are marching in the face of Canelo boxing,” Brown said.

“This is the fight we want.”

Maybe it’s finally time for Sheeraz. He has picked up back-to-back stoppage wins since moving up to super middleweight, and his size and offensive style appear to be better at 168 pounds than they were at the end of his middleweight career.

Canelo is still the bigger star by a mile, but Riyad has shown he’s willing to take on younger, undefeated fighters against established fighters if enough belts are on the line. Sheeraz seemed to be part of that conversation on Saturday night.

Youtube video

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending