Connect with us

Boxing

Anthony Joshua promised to fight me, claims unsafe KO

Published

on

Copy Link

Arslanbek Makhmudov reminded Anthony Joshua of his “promise” to fight.

Makhmudov previously revealed an exchange of messages on social media in which Joshua appeared to welcome the ring meeting.

Makhmudov could be a future opponent for Joshua after dominating Dave Allen in their heavyweight clash in Sheffield earlier this month.

Former IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion Joshua has not fought since last year’s knockout loss to Daniel Dubois, but he is planning a comeback, culminating in a breathtaking fight with Tyson Fury.

This tour may include a meeting with Makhmudov, who said Heavenly sports: “I’m ready, I did my job, I came to the UK and won against Allen.

“But by the way, I talked to AJ before the fight. He promised me that if I win this fight against Allen, he will fight me later.”

Makhmudov’s rise through the heavyweight ranks was interrupted by unexpected defeats to Agit Kabayel and Guido Vianello, but he was reminded of the threat he poses when he defeated Allen.

The Canadian native currently has 19 knockouts in 21 wins, so he could be seen as a measure of Joshua’s comeback.

However, Joshua also plans to fight in Africa, and his plans must include his ideal opponent. Joshua’s promoter, Matchroom’s Eddie Hearn, has confirmed that there will be a separate show in Ghana without the former superstar champion to kick off his company’s presence in Africa.

“We’re playing a show in Ghana on December 20,” Hearn said Ring.

“Of course it won’t be AJ’s performance, but it will still be a good performance.

“The idea is that this is probably a precursor to the AJ show, but it’s not part of our initial deal. This allows us to just get the lay of the land.”

Joshua, whose roots are from Nigeria, has always been keen to fight on the continent where Muhammad Ali’s renowned film Rumble in the Jungle was staged.

– Boxing division rankings: Is Danny Garcia back in the rankings after KO victory?
– Women’s boxing division rankings: Lourdes Juarez defended her title, advanced
– Boxing opponents Tyson Fury should consider for his comeback

A breakthrough fight in Africa could be the beginning of a dream fight with Fury that boxing fans have been clamoring for for generations.

Hearn discussed the 2026 Joshua vs. Fury fight with Turki Alalshikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority. He told ESPN that Alalshikh “is probably the only one who can make the fight with Tyson Fury because they will both want a huge amount of money.”

Hearn also told ESPN: “When we fight Fury or anyone who ever fights a massive fight in 2026, we’d just like to get some momentum going, which is good news for fight fans because he wants to fight, he wants to be dynamic. When I told him you probably have another 18 months, and he said, ‘Why are you counting that out?’

“I was in Riyadh [earlier this month] with His Excellency and he has a plan that he wants to implement for AJ as well, which inevitably includes a fight with Tyson Fury.”

A line of heavyweights will be lining up to welcome Joshua back to the ring as he nears his 2026 meeting with Fury.

Makhmudov, whose popularity among British fans is high after his performances in Sheffield against Allen, is pushing demanding to thwart Joshua’s plans.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Top trainer Abel Sanchez confidently predicts Fury vs Joshua: ‘I always picked him’

Published

on

Top trainer Abel Sanchez makes confident Fury vs Joshua prediction: “I’ve always picked him”

Top trainer Abel Sanchez has revealed his predictions for the highly anticipated heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.

The pair are expected to clash later this year, probably in October or November, with ‘AJ’ first having to take care of Kristian Prenga on July 25.

This is his first appearance since scoring the goal sixth round finish to Jake Paul in December which followed his fifth-round loss to Daniel Dubois in September 2024.

It’s also been less than five months since Joshua was involved in a tragic car accident, leaving him mourning the loss of close friends.

Meanwhile, Fury is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Arslanbek Makhmudov last month, when he ended a 16-month sideline following a back-to-back defeat to Oleksandr Usyk in 2024.

However, despite his return to action, the 37-year-old is currently pushing for a second warm-up fight in August, with the likes of Jarrell Miller and Andy Ruiz Jr. among potential opponents.

In any case, former trainer Gennady Golovkin Sanchez always supported Fury in beating Joshua, saying: Professional boxing fans that he sees no reason to change his mind.

“Tyson already has a fight under his belt. Anthony has had some tough personal issues recently, so that could be a factor in how he looks [approaches] fight.

“I hope he’s OK and it will be a great fight. I still pick Tyson to win – I’ve always picked Tyson to win against Joshua. Fury is one of those fighters who sides with his opponent.”

Although Joshua and Fury have signed a contract to fight later this year, the news of a second warm-up fight for “The Gypsy King” only added a layer of uncertainty to the equation.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk downplays the size difference when Verhoeven talks about power in Giza

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven met at the final press conference before their WBC heavyweight title fight, which was scheduled to take place on Thursday at the foot of the Giza Pyramids in Egypt. According to the organization, this fight, scheduled for Saturday, May 23, will be the first fight for the WBC world title in the region. World Boxing Council. The event was attended by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman.

Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) again referred to his decision to voluntarily defend himself against an opponent from outside the ranks of professional boxing. He considered the fight a personal choice after years of mandatory and unification commitments. “For once, I want to do what I want,” the champion said in an interview with WBC. He also waved away questions about his rival’s physical advantage, telling reporters that “size doesn’t matter” and describing Verhoeven as a “unsafe guy.”

I’m talking to Reuters in the pipeline, Usyk said the location matters more than the result. “It’s significant not only for me. It’s significant for all of boxing, all people and Egypt,” he said. “We are here for the first time. I think after this fight many people will look and say: ‘Oh, it’s possible, maybe we will organize a fight for the pyramids in Egypt, or maybe in Paris.'”

Verhoeven relies on the weight difference

Verhoeven, a longtime GLORY kickboxing champion, built his pre-fight message around the size difference. He is 6-foot-10 and typically weighs between 265 and 275 pounds, while Usyk, a former undisputed cruiserweight, has weighed around 225 pounds in his recent heavyweight fights. In a conversation at the beginning of the preparations, Verhoeven said that a spotless shot would change the course of the match.

“When I take my best shot at him, he will fall because that is a 20-kilogram difference in weight,” Verhoeven said in comments published by Boxing News 24. “He’s like a trained cruiserweight and I’m a natural heavyweight.”

The 37-year-old Dutchman described the crossover as a sign that conventional boundaries in combat sports no longer apply. He told Reuters that the fight “shows that there are no limits to what is possible, which means that in fighting and in different sports, top dogs in different sports are fighting each other and also in every possible place.”

He also described the fight as a meeting of two dominant champions. “I spent twelve years as the undisputed heavyweight kickboxing champion and achieved everything I wanted to achieve,” Verhoeven said, according to MMA mania. “But staying at the top for so long hasn’t reduced the hunger, it’s actually made it stronger. Usyk is the undisputed fighter in boxing. That’s the kind of challenge that motivates me. Undisputed versus undisputed.”

Details of the fight

The winner will receive a WBC belt specially ordered for this occasion. Sulaiman told Reuters he would be called the “King of the Nile Belt”, describing it as a unique trophy for the winner.

The 39-year-old Usyk holds the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight belts and has not fought since he stopped Daniel Dubois in five rounds at Wembley Stadium in July last year. After a long career in kickboxing, Verhoeven begins his career with a 1-0 record in professional boxing. The 12-round fight is for the WBC heavyweight championship and will be broadcast on DAZN pay-per-view.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Hamzah Sheeraz takes aim at Canelo Alvarez after winning the WBO title

Published

on

Image: Hamzah Sheeraz Still Calls Canelo A “Goat,” Eyes Future Showdown After WBO Title Win

“I believe he is one of the goats in boxing. It would be an honor to share the ring with him and if I get the chance, I will definitely win,” Hamzah said after his victory over Begic.

Sheeraz made this comment after saying he plans to win more super middleweight titles after moving up from 160 pounds.

“I’ll fight anyone. Look, there were boxing kings in the ring tonight and I’m trying to follow in their footsteps. So I’m just going to beat whoever I put in front of me.”

“So I’m going to take all the belts this time and inshallah, next year you will be able to see Hamzah Sheeraz as the unified champion in the 168 division,” Hamzah said.

The path to a Sheeraz-Canelo fight could open quickly if Alvarez defeats Christian Mbilli on September 12 in Riyad. Canelo’s victory will likely allow him to retain the WBC title again, while Sheeraz now holds the WBO belt after Saturday’s victory.

This would give Riyadh Season a ready-made unification fight between the two marquee names at 168 pounds.

Sheeraz’s team already seems interested in forcing the fight. Manager Spencer Brown pointed openly at Canelo after the fight when discussing the newly crowned champion’s next step.

“We are marching in the face of Canelo boxing,” Brown said.

“This is the fight we want.”

Maybe it’s finally time for Sheeraz. He has picked up back-to-back stoppage wins since moving up to super middleweight, and his size and offensive style appear to be better at 168 pounds than they were at the end of his middleweight career.

Canelo is still the bigger star by a mile, but Riyad has shown he’s willing to take on younger, undefeated fighters against established fighters if enough belts are on the line. Sheeraz seemed to be part of that conversation on Saturday night.

Youtube video

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending