Connect with us

MMA

Cristian Perez explains game-plan change that earned UFC contract

Published

on

Cristian Perez explains game-plan change that earned UFC contract
Cristian
Perez changed his game plan going into his second appearance on

Dana White's Contender Series.

Perez (15-2) came up short against Manoel
Sousa in his first DWCS opportunity last year. “Puas†rebounded
with a first-round knockout win on the regional circuit to earn
another shot at an
Ultimate Fighting Championship contract. He took on Logan
Paxton in a lightweight bout at
Week 2 of DWCS 2026, putting on a striking clinic, knocking
down Paxton twice and finishing him the second time.

Cristian Perez changed his DWCS strategy before stopping Logan
Paxton for UFC deal

Perez had shown impressive grappling in his first DWCS bout against
Sousa. While he's still confident in his ground game, the
27-year-old knows that UFC CEO Dana
White is looking for highlight-reel finishes on Contender
Series. Perez knew he had to alter his game plan to put on a show
to earn a UFC contract.

“The last time the game plan was exactly that: take him down and
try to finish my opponent,†Perez said in a post-fight interview.
“I feel that I do have a very solid purple belt in jiu-jitsu. But
we needed to change the game plan. When you come here, Dana doesn't
want you to come here just to win the fight; he wants you to come
here and impress, to show a savage, that you're an animal. And
that's what we came here for: to fight and put on a show for
everyone.â€

Perez not only earned a UFC contract but also an offer from White
to compete at
Noche UFC 4 on Sept. 12 at Desert Diamond Arena in Glendale,
Arizona.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Trent Miller earns UFC deal with rare DWCS shoulder choke

Published

on

Trent Miller earns UFC deal with rare DWCS shoulder choke
Trent
Miller earned an
Ultimate Fighting Championship contract with the first Von Flue
(shoulder) choke submission win of his career.

Miller (10-3) was a massive +280 underdog going into his
middleweight matchup against Douglas
Henrique Rodrigues on
Week 2 of
Dana White's Contender Series Season 10. Miller controlled
Rodrigues on the ground in the first round before putting him to
sleep with a Von Flue choke in the second frame.

Trent Miller earns UFC deal with historic DWCS submission

Miller was awarded a UFC contract after securing the second-ever
Von Flue choke in DWCS history. “The Terminator†also revealed it
was the first time that he finished with a Von Flue choke in his
career.

“He hits hard; he has good striking,†Miller said in his post-fight
interview. “I'm definitely feeling him, my lips a little busted
open. But so thankful for the win. I knew in the first round, once
I got on top of him, I controlled. So that was the plan: second
round, get back on top, I felt the choke was there and I went for
it. I've never actually got it in a fight.â€

Miller had suffered a stoppage loss against Ryan Gandra
in his first Contender Series opportunity last year. The
30-year-old says it was the worst performance of his career and is
glad to have proven his doubters wrong.

“Last year's Contender Series, I had my worst performance of my
life, essentially,†he added. “I had so many doubters, so many
haters come at me. For me to be able to shut them up like that,
it's amazing.â€

Continue Reading

MMA

Stephen Thompson issues warning about Shavkat Rakhmonov’s return

Published

on

Stephen Thompson issues warning about Shavkat Rakhmonov’s return
Shavkat
Rakhmonov shouldn't be underestimated when he returns,
according to one of the Kazakh's former foes.

Rakhmonov (19-0) hasn't fought in the
Ultimate Fighting Championship since defeating Ian Garry in
December 2024. While Rakhmonov was expected to fight for the title
next, he suffered a knee injury, forcing a lengthy stint on the
sidelines. The welterweight title has since changed hands multiple
times, with Jack
Della Maddalena beating Belal
Muhammad to win it before losing the belt to Islam
Makhachev, who successfully defended it against Garry at
UFC
330.

Rakhmonov appears to be making progress with his recovery and
Stephen
Thompson claims “Nomad†will bounce back even better.

Shavkat Rakhmonov remains a major UFC welterweight threat
despite lengthy absence

The long layoff saw Rakhmonov get dropped from the official UFC
welterweight rankings, effectively removing him from discourse
regarding the title mix. However, Thompson, who suffered a
submission loss to Rakhmonov in 2023, warns that the latter
shouldn't be underestimated.

Thompson notes that just because Rakhmonov hasn't competed doesn't
mean he hasn't been training. “Wonderboy†believes he will return
from the injury with a stronger mindset.

“Huge threat,†Thompson told Home of Fight. “The guy is very
skillful everywhere. Just because you don't see this guy fighting,
a lot of people think he's not been training. This dude has been a
through-and-through martial artist since day one. That's all he
does is train. Don't underestimate this guy coming back. I feel
like he's gonna come back even better, a stronger mindset, stronger
fighter spirit. He's looking for blood.â€

Continue Reading

MMA

Henry Cejudo doubts Ian Garry will get another UFC title shot

Published

on

Henry Cejudo doubts Ian Garry will get another UFC title shot
Henry
Cejudo believes the
Ultimate Fighting Championship might look to avoid handing
Ian
Garry another title shot.

Garry (17-2) challenged Islam
Makhachev (29-1) for the welterweight title at UFC
330, where the challenger gave the champ one of his toughest
tests despite coming up short on the judges' scorecards. In the
aftermath, the Irishman faced severe backlash for his mid-fight
camaraderie and has now drawn criticism from Cejudo for not
promoting the bout and largely staying quiet in the build-up.

Henry Cejudo says Ian Garry ‘missed all the boxes' against
Islam Makhachev at UFC 330

Garry was widely mocked for comments made during a podcast
appearance before fight week and seemingly wanted to avoid
controversy ahead of the bout. He even asked reporters to steer
clear of certain topics at media day and was booed relentlessly at
the pre-fight presser and ceremonial weigh-ins. “The Futureâ€
constantly involving his son in pre-fight obligations was also
criticized.

Furthermore, Garry was perhaps far too respectful during the fight,
sharing an embrace with the champion before the final round. Both
Makhachev and UFC CEO Dana
White later claimed that such niceties are unnecessary and
potentially affect the intensity of the bout.

Cejudo doubts if Garry will ever fight for a UFC title again.
“Triple C†believes the former
Cage Warriors champ didn't sell the fight well and messed up in
all aspects in his maiden UFC title shot. The former two-division
titleholder also believes the 28-year-old is disillusioned if he
thinks he has ample time to become a champion.

“After a performance like that, do you think the UFC is going to
give him an opportunity to fight for the title again?†Cejudo told
MMA Junkie. “He didn’t really sell the fight and it was just too
kumbaya and whatnot. It was ridiculous. Dana White doesn't like
that sh*t. You heard it from him. For those fighters looking to get
his attention and looking to get paid, you have to be able to sell
the fight. Ian Garry just missed all the boxes. It was all about
his kid, his wife, his well-being, and how he's 28 years old; he
still has time to become champion. It doesn't work like that, Ian.
If I was to give Ian advice on that, ‘Bro, the time is now.'â€

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending