Boxing
Errol Spence Jr warned to prepare for ‘damage’ in comeback fight: ‘I want to hurt him’
Published
2 hours agoon
After a three-year break, Errol Spence Jr returns this summer, making weight for his fight with Tim Tszyu.
Spence entered the 2023 undisputed fight with Terence Crawford undefeated, but was well beaten and stopped in nine rounds. Given that he had recently suffered both a sedate car accident and an eye injury, many believed that he would soon hang up his gloves.
The Texas-based fighter hasn’t fought since then, but will return to action in July, traveling to Australia to face Tszyu in his home turf in an effort to establish himself as a threat to the 154-pound world titles – although that fight will be at the catchweight of 158.
I’m talking to Main eventTszyu described his upcoming opponent as “one of the greatest fighters of this decade.”
“I think three years is a long time, especially in the peak years of your career. I don’t know how he took care of himself or what he did [we don’t know how he will look].
“He was one of the best fighters of this decade, his results speak for themselves, and his only defeat was against Crawford, who is the greatest fighter of our decade.
“So we have a crazy challenge ahead of us, but a challenge I’m willing to take on with both hands and I wouldn’t take this fight if I knew I couldn’t win.”
While Tszyu was full of praise for the American, he added that he would “do damage” to Spence when they clash in two months.
“I want to hurt him. That’s my mentality right now, going into this fight, I really want to hurt him. Do damage.”
Tsyzu-Spence will take place on Saturday, July 25.
You may like
Boxing
Richard Torrez Jr. says that the fight with Sanchez is at a high level
Published
20 minutes agoon
May 21, 2026
Richard Torrez Jr. believes that Saturday’s fight with Frank Sanchez will show whether he is indeed a grave heavyweight title contender, and it looks like he can’t wait to finally prove it after a long training camp.
Torrez Jr. will face Sanchez next weekend in Egypt in a heavyweight clash that many consider the toughest test of his newborn professional career. The undefeated southpaw made it clear during Thursday’s press conference that he intentionally wanted a risky opponent, not another exhibition fight.
“I’ve been in camp for five months and I can’t wait to be in the ring. Now it’s time to show what I’ve been working on and how difficult I’ve worked in this camp,” Torrez Jr. said.
“To show your skills, you have to ask someone for skills. I’m not in this game to beat anyone. I want difficult fights. I want to be able to show that I should be here, on top of the world.”
Sanchez is viewed by many fans as one of the more technically gifted heavyweights in the division despite recent setbacks, and Torrez has repeatedly emphasized the Cuban challenger’s level of experience when discussing the fight.
“I think Frank Sanchez is a formidable opponent who has competed in some incredible competitions, and I want to show that I’m right there with him,” Torrez Jr. said.
The 25-year-old Olympic silver medalist also suggested he was approaching the fight with a more disciplined attitude, rather than chasing an early save against an experienced opponent who had only lost once as a professional.
“I’m never going to get into a fight again trying to get a knockout, because if I decide to do that, it’ll never happen. So I’m going to go in and try to do well. I’ll be the best Richard Torrez on Saturday night and that’s enough.”
Torrez enters the fight as one of the most closely watched heavyweight prospects on Top Rank, but Sanchez is widely viewed as the biggest name and most complete opponent he has faced since turning pro.

Tomek Galm is a boxing journalist covering the global fight landscape since 2014, specializing in heavyweight analysis, industry trends and fighter psychology.
Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter
Related boxing news:
Last updated: 21/05/2026 at 18:11
Boxing
Eddie Hearn says Fabio Wardley made the right decision on Dubois
Published
4 hours agoon
May 21, 2026
Eddie Hearn believes Fabio Wardley made the right decision by activating his rematch clause for his second fight with Daniel Dubois, even after the punishment he suffered in their first meeting.
Hearn admitted that Wardley will enter the rematch as an underdog, but the opportunity to fight for the heavyweight championship cannot be passed up. The Matchroom promoter also compared the situation to Anthony Joshua taking a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr. after losing his first fight in 2019.
Hearn said critics often tell fighters to rebuild first after a bad loss, but argued that heavyweight boxing can be changed by a single performance. He added that he still wouldn’t rule Wardley out completely, even though Dubois was seen as the stronger favorite this time.
Matchroom promoter Hearn said Wardley deserved credit for taking the rematch rather than rebuilding with easier fights first. He compared the situation to when Anthony Joshua faced Andy Ruiz Jr again. right after his disheartening defeat in 2019, saying his heavyweight title shot was too vital to give up.
“The right thing. I think he did the right thing. I think it’s basic to criticize, and I’ve done it before, when I think about the classic example of AJ, especially after the Ruiz fight,” Hearn told Boxing News.
“Everyone said: don’t take a rematch, fight first, do this, do that. You have a chance to win the world heavyweight championship on a plate in your hand.
“Fabio is the underdog in this fight, but he can win. He can win this fight, and if you have a chance to win this fight, in my opinion you have to take it.”
Hearn said Wardley would need to make changes after the first fight, particularly with his jab, but added the Ipswich heavyweight was still hazardous due to his willingness to fight aggressively under pressure.
“Daniel, he’s the large favorite in this fight this time, but I wouldn’t rule out Fabio Wardley in this fight,” Hearn said.
“He has to adapt. Usyk said it today. Where was that punch? But what he is doing is amazing. He is always alive and always hazardous.”

Olly Campbell is a boxing journalist covering this sport since 2014, providing reports from the ring and technical analyzes of the most vital fights. His work focuses on fighter tendencies, tactical adjustments and the details that shape high-level competition.
Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter
Related boxing news:
Last updated: 21/05/2026 at 12:23
Boxing
WBA adds belt to Usyk vs Verhoeven event that may soon be extinct
Published
5 hours agoon
May 21, 2026
The World Boxing Association has added another “world championship” to Saturday’s Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven fight in Giza despite growing uncertainty over whether some secondary boxing belts could soon disappear altogether.
The WBA officially elevated the unflappable Rolando “Rolly” Romero to the title of world super champion this week, before certifying Shakhram Giyasov vs. Jack Catterall for the vacant WBA welterweight title at the event in Egypt.
The decision means that another world champion will be crowned at an event headlined by Usyk defending his WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight titles against Verhoeven.
The WBA said the ruling was supported by regulations that allow the Championships Committee and the WBA President to designate Super Champions in “exceptional circumstances” and “in the best interests of the sport”.
Expansion of the WBA belt
It’s no secret how World Boxing News feels about the continued expansion of the WBA title after years of promises of reform, revocations, interim belts, second-tier champions and repeated vows to simplify the system.
This latest move seems even stranger given the mounting pressure around proposed amendments to the Ali Act in the United States.
Oscar De La Hoya’s appearance at a Senate hearing on boxing reform all but confirmed that TKO’s structural change efforts are gaining grave momentum behind the scenes.
One key proposal would limit sanctioning authorities to one recognized world champion per division.
If adopted, the WBA’s long-standing multi-district structure – which includes super, regular, interim and gold titles – would immediately come under pressure.
This puts Saturday’s newly confirmed Giyasov vs. Catterall title fight in an odd situation before a punch has even been thrown.
Whoever leaves Giza with the WBA belt could theoretically see the championship stripped away almost as quickly as it arrived if proposed reforms accelerate.
Giyasova vs. Catteralla title
The decision also came after years of confusion surrounding the WBA welterweight picture.
As WBN previously reported, Giyasov spent nearly three years waiting for his mandatory opportunity while Romero chased bigger commercial fights featuring names like Manny Pacquiao, Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney.
Now Romero has moved up, and Giyasov and Catterall are suddenly fighting for a different version of the title.
Broader frustration around the WBA structure is nothing up-to-date.
WBN recently reported how the organization’s number of recognized champions had grown to 42 across 18 divisions, despite earlier phases of reforms aimed at reducing belt clutter.
This expansion has repeatedly caused confusion among players and fans alike.
One of the clearest examples occurred when Kubrat Pulev was widely recognized as the first Bulgarian heavyweight world champion, despite only holding his second WBA “Regular” belt, while Usyk remained the recognized ruler of the division.
For many boxing fans, this moment encapsulated the growing disunity over championship labels in the newfangled era.
Now, another belt has been added to the pile in Giza, even as the entire titular boxing structure is heading for its biggest overhaul in decades.
About the author
Phil Jay is the editor-in-chief of World Boxing News (WBN) and a boxing veteran with over 15 years of experience. Since 2010, he has been interviewing world champions, breaking down international titles exclusively and reporting from the ring. His work is distributed on major platforms including Apple News. Read the full biography.
Richard Torrez Jr. says that the fight with Sanchez is at a high level
Errol Spence Jr warned to prepare for ‘damage’ in comeback fight: ‘I want to hurt him’
Nate Diaz WEIGH-IN vs Mike Perry 😤 168.6 lbs
Trending
-
Opinions & Features1 year agoPacquiao vs marquez competition: History of violence
-
MMA1 year agoDmitry Menshikov statement in the February fight
-
Results1 year agoStephen Fulton Jr. becomes world champion in two weight by means of a decision
-
Results1 year agoKeyshawn Davis Ko’s Berinchyk, when Xander Zayas moves to 21-0
-
Video1 year agoFrank Warren on Derek Chisora vs Otto Wallin – ‘I THOUGHT OTTO WOULD GIVE DEREK PROBLEMS!’
-
Analysis1 year agoRobert Garcia discusses the debate on the greatest Mexican warrior in history
-
Video1 year ago‘DEREK CHISORA RETIRE TONIGHT!’ – Anthony Yarde PLEADS for retirement after WALLIN
-
Results1 year agoLive: Catterall vs Barboza results and results card



