Connect with us

Boxing

Usyk and Verhoeven exchanged words at a press conference in London

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven met face-to-face in London on Tuesday for the official press conference ahead of their WBC heavyweight title fight, which will take place on May 23 at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt. The event, called “Glory in Giza” and promoted by Ring Magazine, will be broadcast worldwide on DAZN.

Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) will be the first defense of the final chapter of a career that has resulted in undisputed titles in two weight classes. The 39-year-old Ukrainian, who currently holds the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight belts, has not fought since he stopped Daniel Dubois in five rounds at Wembley Stadium in July last year. On stage, he was characteristically placid and philosophical, often smiling as he addressed reporters.

“For once I want to do what I want and not what is needed, because most of the time I do what others need,” Usyk said, explaining why he chose to voluntarily defend himself against a non-boxing fighter. “You have to box like that.” I say, “Okay, okay, okay.” Now I do what I need.”

Asked specifically about Verhoeven, Usyk briefly replied: “He’s a great guy. He’s a risky guy.”

Verhoeven is planning a crossover

Verhoeven, 37, did most of the talking. The Dutchman, who was the Glory Kickboxing heavyweight champion for over 11 years in a row and set a record in this discipline of 60-10, is making only his second professional boxing appearance. His lone fight took place in 2014 and ended with a second-round knockout of undefeated János Finfera.

The path to Usyk was not the original plan. Verhoeven revealed that a fight with Anthony Joshua had been planned since February, before Joshua’s December car accident in Nigeria, which tragically killed two members of his inner circle, forced a change of direction.

“There was a fight, there was just a tragic accident and that’s what derailed everything,” Verhoeven said. The conversation progressed from there. “I said, ‘What about Usyk? That makes sense. Undisputed versus undisputed.’ So that’s what happened.”

Verhoeven said the crossover concept was his own idea. “We were the ones who reported it,” he told reporters. “Hey, we have an idea, what about Undisputed vs. Undisputed? What do you think? They said we liked it and that’s how this fight happened.”

He acknowledged that the mainstream boxing audience may not know his credentials, but pointed to the WBC kickboxing and Muay Thai divisions as a bridge of legitimacy. “It made sense to them,” Verhoeven said. “He’s one of the best, if not the best kickboxer of all time. So he has his credentials, so fighting for the title makes sense.”

The size, power and form factor of a kickboxer

The physical discrepancy between the two men was evident on stage. Verhoeven, who is 6-foot-10 and weighs about 275 pounds, dwarfs the naturally built, cruiserweight Usyk, who typically steps into the ring before 220. That’s a weight difference of about 50 to 55 pounds, and Verhoeven wasn’t trying to downplay it.

“When I give him my best punch, of course he will fall because it’s almost a 20-kilogram difference in weight,” Verhoeven said. “He’s a developed cruiserweight. I was born heavyweight, so that’s a massive difference. It’ll happen if I let my best shot get a immaculate shot. And if I don’t, we’ll just win.”

It was a confident but measured performance from a fighter who understands the skepticism surrounding the matchup. Verhoeven admitted that coach Peter Fury had improved his boxing fundamentals and referred to previous sparring sessions with Tyson Fury as part of his preparation. Peter Fury, speaking from the stage, noted that Verhoeven gave up bigger paydays in other combat sports to take on this particular challenge.

“To be the best, you have to beat the best,” Verhoeven said. “I think to be the best at what you do, you have to be a little crazy.”

What does this fight mean for the heavyweight division?

The WBC’s decision to sanction a fighter’s voluntary title defense with one professional boxing fight was met with criticism from part of the boxing community. The fight raised eyebrows among those who believe that proven boxers should fight for the heavyweight championship. However, the WBC cited Verhoeven’s standing in kickboxing and its own combat sports divisions as justification, and Usyk’s track record in taking on every significant challenge in the sport gives him considerable leeway.

For Usyk, who has said he plans to fight three more times before he retires, the Verhoeven fight will be the first of those final chapters. The heavyweight division is still crowded after May 23: Fabio Wardley will defend his WBO title against Daniel Dubois on May 9, Anthony Joshua is expected to return to fighting in the summer, and Tyson Fury’s future depends on his recent return. Usyk placed himself above all this, having the freedom to choose his opponents on his own terms.

Eddie Hearn, speaking during the Q&A press conference, reminded Verhoeven that a victory over Usyk would open the door to a potential fight with Joshua, adding another layer to an already extraordinary promotional narrative.

The meeting was tense but respectful. In the co-main event, Hamzah Sheeraz will face Al Begic for the vacant WBO middleweight title, while Jack Catterall will face Shakhram Giyasov for the regular WBA welterweight title. as announced by Ring magazine.

The central question remains whether Verhoeven’s size, power and unorthodox angles will translate to a fight of Usyk’s caliber. History says this won’t happen. Verhoeven, however, is counting on the opportunity to rewrite history at the foot of the pyramids, and Usyk, for his part, seems perfectly joyful to let him try.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Evander Holyfield Reveals Knockout Artist Who Could Defeat Oleksandr Usyk

Published

on

Evander Holyfield Reveals Knockout Artist Who Could Defeat Oleksandr Usyk

Evander Holyfield was unsure who to favour in a fantasy showdown between Oleksandr Usyk and one of his former rivals.

Like Holyfield, Usyk became the consensus top dog at 200lbs before moving up to heavyweight and, once again, cementing himself as the very best.

Even while contending with a notable size disadvantage, the Ukrainian was able to dethrone Anthony Joshua before eventually becoming the undisputed king against Tyson Fury.

Having twice beaten the two Brits, Usyk is now widely regarded as one of the all-time greats, among the likes of HolyfieldMuhammad Ali and Joe Louis.

At the same time, though, Holyfield is not convinced that the unbeaten southpaw would have defeated a prime Mike Tyson.

‘The Real Deal’ fought ‘Iron’ Mike in 1996, causing a sizable upset by stopping the formidable puncher in round 11, before winning their immediate rematch via an infamous third-round disqualification.

And while this was not even the most formidable version of Tyson, Holyfield would nonetheless back his former foe to defeat the majority of heavyweights throughout history.

When it comes to a clash with Usyk, however, the American has told Daily Mail Boxing that he would struggle to predict a winner.

“I don’t exactly know [who would win] that one.”

Like Usyk, Tyson was never the biggest heavyweight but, because of his speed and explosiveness he was able to win his first 19 fights by knockout and become a dominant world champion during the late 1980s.

Usyk, on the other hand, relies more on his technical prowess and, against Tyson, would need to be almost punch-perfect in order to emerge victorious.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Ryan Garcia Backs Fighter to Defeat Shakur Stevenson in Exciting Boxing Showdown

Published

on

Ryan Garcia Backs Fighter to Defeat Shakur Stevenson in Exciting Boxing Showdown

Ryan Garcia has named the fighter that he believes can put an end to Shakur Stevenson’s 25-fight undefeated record.

Stevenson stepped up in weight to dominate Teofimo Lopez and claim the WBO super-lightweight title back in Januaryfully intending on returning to his natural lightweight division during the aftermath, until those plans were derailed when he was stripped of his 135lb title.

As a result, Stevenson has kept hold of his 140lb marble but has not fought since, despite links to a showdown with Garcia in spring, which collapsed when the Newark southpaw declared that he would not be willing to move up in weight once again.

Now, Garcia is scheduled to face Conor Benn next month, whilst Stevenson has recently signed with Zuffa Boxing and is searching for an opponent for his second outing of 2026.

Speaking to FightHypeGarcia revealed that he would favour IBF lightweight world champion Raymond Muratalla to come out on top if he and Stevenson collide.

“That would be a good a** fight. He [Muratalla] is smart, he is not going to just go in there and just [be reckless].

“I just think that Raymond has a lot of things that would give Shakur problems. It won’t be an easy fight for Shakur, that is for sure.

“[If it was] a three-round fight, I would give it to Shakur, even a six-round fight. A 12-round fight? I am siding with Muratalla.”

Muratalla is set to vacate his IBF crown and move into the super-lightweight division imminently, with the WBO having recently stated that he could be named as Stevenson’s mandatory challenger when he does.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Jesse Bam Rodriguezs Team Reacts to Naoya Inoues Super Fight Deadline

Published

on

Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez's Team Reacts to Naoya Inoue's Super Fight Deadline

Robert Garcia, the trainer and manager of Jesse ‘Bam’ Rodriguez, has expressed his annoyance with a lack of communication from Team Nayoa Inoue.

‘The Monster’ made a seventh successful defence of his undisputed crown in May, unanimously outpointing Junto Nakatani in their all-Japanese encounter.

As a result, Inoue is not only considered the super-bantamweight king but, on a pound-for-pound metric, many would also place him at the top of the tree.

Rodriguez, meanwhile, made his bantamweight debut in June, becoming a three-division world champion by dethroning WBA champion Antonio Vargas with a sixth-round finish.

While there is much talk surrounding a potential clash between Rodriguez and Inoue, it would seem that no official negotiations have actually taken place.

Or at least, it is far from certain that the pair will square off in March 2027, when Inoue is reportedly looking to stage his next outing. He recently stated that he will not hang around at 122lbs waiting for ‘Bam’, and will move on if the fight does not happen in Q1 of 2027.

On the proposed showdown, coach Garcia has told Ring Magazine that he and ‘Bam’ have no problem with the deadline.

“There’s been talk that Inoue says he’s moving up [to featherweight] sooner than later – that he probably won’t wait [for the Rodriguez fight] past March of next year.

“We’re okay with that, but nobody’s told me that. Nobody from Inoue’s team has approached me saying, ‘Look, Robert. This is what Inoue wants. He wants to know if you guys are interested in the fight’.

“Yeah, we’re interested in the fight. But I’m not trying to change the date. I would love Bam to get one more fight at 118[lbs].”

Garcia went on to name WBO bantamweight champion Christian Medina as the ideal opponent for Rodriguez in November, before he hopefully steps up to 122lbs and challenges Inoue.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending