Connect with us

Boxing

Manny Pacquiao Names One Fighter He Would Like to Face: ‘They Protected Him from Me’

Published

on

Manny Pacquiao names one fighter he wishes he faced: “They preserved him from me”

Manny Pacquiao has faced plenty of top-flight stars over the course of his three-decade-long career, but there is one fighter the Filipino star still regrets not being able to fight.

“Pac Man” competed in famed fights with the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya and Juan Manuel Marquez and remains in the sport to this day, hoping to break his own record as the oldest welterweight world champion in boxing history.

However, before the veteran can continue this mission, he is scheduled to fight a rematch with Mayweather in September – however, it is unclear whether it will be a professional or exhibition space.

The 47-year-old icon said, reflecting on his 73-fight career Vibration that he still regrets not having had the opportunity to hand Terence Crawford his first defeat before “Bud” retired with a 42-0 record.

“The Crawford fight. Because Bob Arum kept it. I’m covered by top-tier promotions and he’s been covered by top-tier promotions before, so I would love to fight him. But it never happened. Bob didn’t give it to me.”

Pacquiao and Crawford have been linked to the fight multiple times, and intriguingly, when the Omaha cameraman was asked the same question, he stated that he had been “chasing this fight for years” and regretted that it didn’t happen.

If he remains interested, Pacquiao has shared his desire to fight anyone while he is dynamic in the sport, including Crawford.

“As long as I stay dynamic in boxing, I will never do it [duck] whoever is in line. Whoever I face, I will face.”

Crawford doesn’t seem interested in returning to the ring despite the allure of a lucrative rematch with Canelo Alvarez, while Pacquiao appears to be absent in 2026 due to Mayweather’s defeat.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Frank Warren says Dubois is ready for a third fight with Usyk

Published

on

Warren pointed to Dubois’ performance in the war with Wardley on May 9 as evidence that he has matured under pressure and is now better prepared for another meeting with the undefeated Ukrainian.

“I would love to see Daniel with him again. He’s grown mentally. Physically he’s there, but mentally he’s grown there and I’d like to see that fight again, I really would,” Warren said to Heavenly sports.

“You know it’s going to be a fight while it lasts.”

Warren believes the punishment and adversity Dubois faced against Wardley could facilitate him more than ever with easier victories.

“It was a tough fight, but I truly believe this fight will benefit him even more.
Warren said.

“He grew mentally during this fight. He put in the work. He focused on it, and his determination worked for him.”

Team Dubois also believes that the difference in previous fights with Usyk was down to experience and composure rather than physical ability. Mohammed Ali, head of boxing performance analysis at Dubois, said Usyk’s serene approach was a decisive factor in their previous meetings.

“Usyk, as you know, has a very scientific approach, and his approach was very serene, very composed, he didn’t talk too much, even though there was a lot going on in the background.

“The experience that Usyk has over Daniel is everything. The experience that he has and that’s exactly what was portrayed that night is the difference in how Usyk handled it.

“However, if it came to a third fight, I can guarantee you the approach would be the same as Fabio or even better,” Warren said.

Usyk has already stopped Dubois twice, so many fans will need some convincing before they treat the trilogy fight as a competition. Still, Warren clearly believes that the Battle of Wardley changed Dubois in a way that could carry over into the third fight.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk vs. Verhoeven: 5 boxers who were the first to achieve success in kickboxing

Published

on

Usyk vs Verhoeven: 5 boxers who found success in kickboxing first

Will Rico Verhoeven become the most successful kickboxer-turned-boxer this weekend if he defeats Oleksandr Usyk in Egypt?

Known as the “King of Kickboxing,” Verhoeven took perhaps the most arduous path into boxing. In his second professional fight – the first was a memorable stoppage of Janos Finfera in 2014 – he will face unified heavyweight champion and pound-for-pound king Usyk. A victory would mean that the Dutchman would become the WBC heavyweight champion, although the IBF and WBA took different stances on the fight.

Not only would a win be one of the biggest upsets in heavyweight history, despite Verhoeven’s expansive fighting experience, but the 37-year-old would make arguably the most significant transition from one combat sport to another.

However, such a change is not uncommon – here are five huge names that will make it work.

Vitali Klitschko

Long before he became world heavyweight champion with 12 successful title defenses, Klitschko competed in both boxing and kickboxing as an amateur. Although he ultimately settled on and dominated heavyweight boxing, his talents in kickboxing led him to two amateur world titles and four in professional tournaments. The reign he and his brother Wladimir enjoyed in the heavyweight division from 2004 to 2015 left few in doubt whether he could have done the same in kickboxing had he chosen that path.

Troy Dorsey

Troy Dorsey remains one of the most successful examples of a kickboxer’s transition to professional boxing. After winning world kickboxing titles in the 1980s, the Texas fighter focused on boxing and won the IBF world featherweight title in 1991, defeating Alfred Rangel. Although he lost the belt in his first defense to Manuel Medina, Dorsey’s achievements in both sports make him one of the few fighters to achieve a true championship level in both kickboxing and boxing.

Tenshin Nasukawa

Perhaps the most recent high-profile example, outside of Verhoeven, is Nasukawa, who was considered the best pound-for-pound kickboxer before his retirement in 2022. He made his professional boxing debut in 2023 and went seven fights undefeated before losing to Takuma Inoue for the vacant WBC bantamweight belt last November. A victory over Juan Francisco Estrada last month put him back in title contention and now he is in line for a rematch with Inoue, who defended his belt by defeating Kazuto Ioka earlier this month.

Mark Huck

Marco Huck was a successful amateur kickboxer before turning his full attention to boxing, winning regional titles in Germany as a teenager and further gold medals at the European Championships in 2002 and 2003. It was during this time that he developed the aggressive pressing style that would later define his professional career and make him one of the standout cruiserweights of his era. His 13 successful WBO world title defenses between 2009 and 2015 make him the division’s longest-reigning champion, alongside Britain’s Johnny Nelson. Interestingly, the German’s boxing careers finally intersected with Usyk’s in 2017, when the Ukrainian stopped him in the tenth round of a World Boxing Super Series clash on his way to undisputed status.

Dillian Whyte

‘The Bodysnatcher’ was a two-time British and one-time European kickboxing champion before fighting one MMA fight and eventually taking up boxing, with his first amateur victory coming against Anthony Joshua. Whyte lost in his professional rematch to “AJ” but later won the British title before climbing the world rankings by defeating the likes of Joseph Parker and Derek Chisora. Whyte faced Alexander Povetkin twice and drafted Jarrell Miller, who both also previously competed in kickboxing. The Briton’s only challenge to a world title was a sixth-round TKO loss to Tyson Fury, and he was most recently stopped in one round against rising star Moses Itauma.


The harsh reality for Verhoeven is that all of the names mentioned above have gradually built their profile in boxing, rather than jumping straight into one of the sport’s top fighters. His fight with Usyk next weekend in the Pyramids of Giza will be the most important.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Shakhram Giyasov claims Rolly Romero is avoiding him

Published

on

Image: Shakhram Giyasov Says Rolly Romero Is Avoiding Him

Shakhram Giyasov believes Rolando “Rolly” Romero has avoided fighting him for the past seven months after the WBA ordered a welterweight title fight in October.

Instead of continuing to wait for Romero, Giyasov will fight Jack Catterall for the WBA “regular” welterweight belt this Saturday, May 23 in Egypt. Romero hasn’t fought since defeating Ryan Garcia to win the WBA welterweight title last year, and he has never progressed in putting together a structured defense against Giyasov.


“Who is this? I don’t know him,” Giyasov told The Ring when asked about Rolly.

“If you win on Saturday, do you think he still won’t want to fight you?” – Giyasov said in an interview.

“I don’t know. “I think he’s afraid of me” Giyasov said.

The undefeated Uzbek contender has been steadily climbing the rankings over the years, but has struggled to secure fights at 147 pounds. The fight with Catterall gives him a chance to finally leave the mandatory position and win a secondary version of the WBA title.

Catterall moved up to welterweight earlier this year after competing at 140 pounds for most of his career. The fight will be part of Saturday’s gala in Cairo, the main event of which will be the fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Rico Verhoeven.

The Giyasova-Catterall winner could be closer to a future clash with Romero if the WBA ultimately pushes for title consolidation.

Click here to sign up for our FREE newsletter

Related boxing news:

Categories Latest

Last update: 21/05/2026 at 12:12

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending