Connect with us

MMA

Next up? Islam Makhachev names most deserving title challenger

Published

on

Next up? Islam Makhachev names most deserving title challenger
Islam
Makhachev has named the ideal next challenger for his
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight title.

Makhachev retained his belt with a hard-fought victory over
Ian
Garry at UFC
330 in Philadelphia. The Russian revealed that Carlos
Prates is the preferred next opponent after recording his first
title defense at welterweight.

Islam Makhachev backs Carlos Prates for next UFC welterweight
title shot

Prates and Michael
Morales, who were both in attendance at UFC 330, are in the
running for the next title shot, with Makhachev believing the
Brazilian currently has the stronger case. He dismissed Shavkat
Rakhmonov, who's been sidelined with injuries since December
2024, and Morales, who hasn't been as active as Prates.

“If you ask me today, Shavkat [Rakhmonov] is not fighting; Prates
is still fighting, still active,†Makhachev said during the
Paramount+ post-fight show. “Morales also is good, but I don't
remember the last time he fought. If you ask who is more deserving,
I think Carlos Prates.â€

Morales and Rakhmonov are both unbeaten, while Prates holds a
record of 24-7. The latter's last loss came against Garry in April
2025, but he has remained active since then, picking up finishes
against Geoff Neal
and two former champs: Leon
Edwards and Jack
Della Maddalena.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MMA

Carlos Prates predicts brutal KO win if he challenges Islam Makhachev next: "I will bring that belt to Brazil"

Published

on

Carlos Prates predicts brutal KO win if he challenges Islam Makhachev next: "I will bring that belt to Brazil"

Carlos Prates is warning Islam Makhachev that he fully intends to deliver a scintillating performance if he gets the next UFC welterweight title shot.

Makhachev made history this past Saturday in his first defense of the 170-pound gold. The pound-for-pound great broke Anderson Silva's record for the most consecutive wins in UFC history at 17. Makhachev thwarted the challenge of Ian Machado Garry in the UFC 330 main event, earning a unanimous decision.

Prates was inside Xfinity Mobile Arena in Philadelphia to witness Makhachev's victory, and he thinks he will be the No. 1 contender. If that is the case, “The Nightmare†is predicting a knockout win. Pedro Baptista posted a clip of Prates firing a warning shot at the welterweight king.

“I will knock you out, bro,†Prates said. “I will bring that belt to Brazil. The first welterweight champ from Brazil.â€

Prates is riding a three-fight winning streak with finishes over some key names. In his most recent outing, the Brazilian bruiser stopped former UFC welterweight titleholder Jack Della Maddalena. Prior to that, he had knockouts over ex-UFC champion Leon Edwards and Geoff Neal.

In his last 15 fights, Prates has gone 14-1. The lone defeat was against Ian Machado Garry in a bout that nearly saw “The Nightmare†pull off a come-from-behind win.

Makhachev is vowing to return to the Octagon before Ramadan. If it takes until January 2027 for the 170-pound champion to fight again, then Prates may need to fight one more time before getting a crack at UFC gold. Of course, he could also wait if the UFC brass feel he is the unquestioned No. 1 contender.

Another name that has been looming in the title conversation is Michael Morales. The surging Ecuadorian was also in attendance for UFC 330, and he has been calling for a championship fight. Some have suggested that Morales and Prates should fight with a shot at UFC gold at stake. Whether or not the stars align for such a matchup remains to be seen.

Do you believe Carlos Prates could pull off a shocker against Islam Makhachev? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Continue Reading

MMA

Max Holloway questions Islam Makhachev walking around with 2 belts, Makhachev responds

Published

on

Max Holloway questions Islam Makhachev walking around with 2 belts, Makhachev responds

Max Holloway has some questions about Islam Makhachev's style choices, namely the choice to carry not one, but two belts on his person.

Makhachev recorded the first successful defense of his welterweight title this past Saturday in the main event of UFC 330 with a unanimous decision win over Ian Machado Garry. Having previously defended the lightweight title four times, Makhachev joined Henry Cejudo, Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, and Amanda Nunes as the only UFC fighters to successfully defend belts in two weight classes.

However, Makhachev vacated the 155-pound title to move up to 170, and the lightweight title has already been claimed by two other fighters since with Ilia Topuria winning the vacant belt by defeating Charles Oliveira, and now Justin Gaethje currently holding it after upsetting Topuria at UFC White House.

All of that has Holloway confused as to why Makhachev is still sporting double gold.

“Why the f*ck do you have two belts?†Holloway asked on his Kick channel. “For aura? I mean, it is what it is, like, you are, but you're not.â€

It should be noted that a new UFC belt is made every time a fighter wins a championship for the first time, meaning Makhachev still has his own that he won back in 2022, while a new one was made for Topuria. Makhachev is also not the first fighter to walk around with two belts, though as Holloway points out, it doesn't appear as if Makhachev has any plans to return to the lightweight division.

“That was temporary but now you're just defending one belt, bro,†Holloway said. “Why you keep—I don't know. I don't know, guys.â€

Holloway is no stranger to championship glory, having reigned as featherweight king from 2017-2019. He also won the “BMF†title in 2024 with an all-time great knockout of Justin Gaethje at UFC 300.

On Monday afternoon, Makhachev responded to Holloway via a post on MMA Fighting's Instagram.

“I don't know, bro,†Makhachev wrote. “It's even too heavy to hold. But you don't understand, sorry.â€

Continue Reading

MMA

Coach apologizes to Gillian Robertson for ‘despicable’ decision at UFC 330

Published

on

Coach apologizes to Gillian Robertson for ‘despicable’ decision at UFC 330

Din Thomas owned his mistake after UFC 330.

On Saturday night, Thomas served double duty at the UFC event, working both as an on-air analyst and cornering Gillian Robertson in her strawweight title bid against Mackenzie Dern in the co-main event. Unfortunately, the latter didn't go so well, as Robertson lost a lackluster decision to Dern. But things got worse afterward, when Thomas announced during the UFC 330 post-show that he was retiring from cornering fighters, in a manner many felt was disrespectful to Robertson.

On Monday, Thomas, who hosts the UFC's Deep Waters show on YouTube, addressed the controversy at the start of their show, apologizing to Robertson for his behavior.

“We know how this is: it's an emotional rollercoaster,†Thomas said. “You're dealing with the same insecurities, the same highs and lows. Everything leading up to it, you have to deal with all that stuff. It's an emotional rollercoaster. And I've been very vocal about this, that it's not my favorite thing to do. I've tried to quit time and time before. When Tyron Woodley got knocked out by Jake Paul, I was like, ‘Yo, it's my last time doing this. It's my last time doing this; I'm not doing this no more.'

“But I took on Gillian, and I have to say, Saturday night was the most inappropriate time to bring up the fact that I did not want to corner again. It was completely irresponsible. It was despicable. I shouldn't have done it. I should have waited until maybe even today. I should have waited to a different time than take away her moment.â€

A respected former fighter and coach, Thomas has worked with Robertson since the beginning of her career, and especially because of that, he says that Robertson deserved better.

“This is a young lady that I've worked with for her entire career,†Thomas said. “The last seven years, it's just been me and her, working endlessly, just together — travelling, working together. They don't understand that we've been working endlessly, time and time again, together.

“I remember her coming to me crying, ‘I would like to win two in a row, three in a row.' And she went on this amazing run; she's broken records, and I, selfishly, stole her moment that night. Instead of congratulating her on her run, I stole her moment. And I want to apologize to her for that, because I stole her moment. I was completely wrong. I'm ashamed; I'm embarrassed. But I'm not too big to say I'm sorry.

“And for her, Gillian, I love you. I got your back. I've always had your back. This is not the end. I've always had your back, and I want you to know I'm always here for you. I'm always going to support you, and whatever you need, I'm always here for you. The same way I've been for you for the last seven years when it was just us. …

“It's been eating at me all weekend. I wish I could have did it sooner, but I couldn't. I didn't have the chance to. So, Gillian, I'm sorry. I hope you accept my apology. If it takes however long, that's how long it takes. But I'm sorry for stealing your moment, and I'm proud of you. Not only for what you've done in terms of your run, winning five in a row, getting a title shot, but even that night, coming back and winning the last round. Being able to do that in a title fight. So, I'm sorry. I hope you accept my apology. From the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry.â€

And while he makes no excuses for his actions, Thomas suggested that this whole incident happened because he was still hurting from Robertson's loss, and then had to go on air.

“In my head, I'm thinking, ‘I'm just trying to get the hell out of here. I don't want to do this no more. I'm sick of this!'†Thomas said. “… I'm heartbroken, but I've got to get on the desk and be objective, as well. And at the same time, I'm thinking to myself, ‘Man, I don't even like cornering. I just want to go home. I'm trying to get out of here. This is a wrap.' So, it's a tough spot. But again, I'm still wrong. I shouldn't have done that.â€

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending