Connect with us

Boxing

Floyd Mayweather charged with a crime over $200,000 over a bad check for a luxury watch

Published

on

Image: Floyd Mayweather facing felony charges over alleged $200,000 bad check for luxury watch

The charges stem from the purchase of an Audemars Piguet watch from Gold and Beyond, a Las Vegas-based luxury boutique.

Prosecutors allege that on December 31, 2024, Mayweather wrote a check for $200,000 from a Wells Fargo account. The complaint stated that there were insufficient funds in the account to cover the amount of the check.

The complaint alleges that Mayweather purchased the property “knowing that the check would not be paid upon presentation.”

ESPN reported that prosecutors filed the first complaint on April 27, followed three days later by a court order requiring Mayweather to appear before a judge. On Monday, a lawyer representing Mayweather appeared at the hearing on his behalf.

Marc Cook, a lawyer representing Gold and Beyond, told ESPN that his client initially hoped to resolve the matter privately and avoid filing criminal charges.

“The reason for the delay is because my boy trusted Mayweather and tried to give him every chance to make it right,” Cook said. “It got to the point where he was not receiving any response or money for the watch that Mayweather had had for over a year.”

Cook added that his client attempted to recover the money in several ways before ultimately filing a complaint with the Clark County District Attorney’s Office in February.

If Mayweather is convicted, he could face severe penalties. Under Nevada law, a charge of passing a check with intent to defraud carries a potential prison sentence of one to four years, while a theft charge carries a potential sentence of one to 20 years.

Neither Mayweather’s attorney nor the Clark County District Attorney’s Office immediately commented on the allegations, according to ESPN.

The 50-0 boxing legend will face former kickboxing star Mike Zambidis in an exhibition fight on June 27 in Athens, Greece. ESPN reported that a source close to Mayweather expects the event to go ahead as planned and indicated that Mayweather still retains his passport despite separate tax issues involving the Internal Revenue Service.

The criminal case adds to a growing list of legal issues involving Mayweather. ESPN noted that the IRS has filed tax liens for more than $7.2 million in unpaid taxes for 2018 and 2023. Mayweather is also involved in several civil disputes, including lawsuits he filed earlier this year against Showtime and former business associates seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

Mayweather has not entered a plea in the Nevada case, and the allegations in the criminal complaint have not yet been considered in court.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Teofimo Lopez Challenges Fathers Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat

Published

on

"Teofimo Lopez Challenges Father's Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat"

Teofimo Lopez has criticised his father for showing a lack of competence during his unanimous decision defeat to Shakur Stevenson.

‘The Takeover’ was handily outboxed and dethroned by Stevenson in January, winning just one round as his opponent became a four-division world champion at 140lbs.

As a result, Lopez is now moving up to 147lbs in an attempt to reinvent himself and become a three-weight world champion against Rolando Romero.

But while he felt a change in weight was most certainly needed, the 29-year-old saw no reason to dismiss his father, Teofimo Sr, as his head coach.

This is in spite of the fact that Lopez Sr was heavily ridiculed for his efforts in the corner at Madison Square Garden, where Stevenson’s route to victory was only made clearer by his bizarre style of coaching.

Rather than offering his son any words of advice, he just simply pointed out his flaws and gave the defending champion no direction on how to improve.

Lopez therefore confronted his father while speaking with Ring Magazinealbeit with no threats of employing a different trainer.

“Every son wants to make their father proud. When you got your father in that moment – when you’re bleeding; when they’re allowing Shakur to do all these extra things … and your trainer is not going you instructions – they’re just talking you down: ‘Where’s your power? Where’s this? You’re gonna hate yourself’ – all roads lead to [defeat].”

As he takes on WBA champion Romero at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena on Saturday, it should be interesting to see how Lopez’s corner shapes up between rounds.

In any event, the American will be under a fair amount of pressure to produce an improved performance.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Ryan Garcia Responds to Conor Benns Weight Concerns Ahead of Upcoming Fight

Published

on

"Ryan Garcia Responds to Conor Benn's Weight Concerns Ahead of Upcoming Fight"

Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn are scheduled to square off next month, and ‘King Ry’ has reacted to news that this will be the Briton’s final bout at welterweight, following a difficult weight cut.

Benn has not fought at 147lbs since a knockout victory over Chris van Heerden back in April 2022, but he was installed as the WBC’s mandatory challenger for the welterweight division earlier this year, after revealing his intentions of returning to the weight.

Reality seems to have hit home for ‘The Destroyer’ during this camp though, as he has already announced that this will be his last contest in the division following a brutal weight cutregardless of the outcome, signalling that he has outgrown the weight.

In a clip captured by Ring MagazineGarcia responded to Benn’s announcement and declared that his upcoming opponent is already making excuses ahead of their meeting.

“We know you can’t make weight. This is why Conor Benn said this is his last time at 147lbs. My guy is making excuses before he loses, who says that, ‘this is my last fight at 147’.

“My guy, you gonna go backwards just to get that a** whooped? Oh my gosh, bro. It’s fine, bro, he is just going to run into it. F**k that dude.”

Garcia-Benn takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, with Zuffa Boxing cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia poised to take on current WBC cruiserweight titleholder Noel Mikaelian – although he may no longer be champion come fight week.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Terence Crawford Confirms Ryan Garcia Will Defeat Conor Benn: I Got Him | Boxing News

Published

on

"Terence Crawford Confirms Ryan Garcia Will Defeat Conor Benn: 'I Got Him' | Boxing News"

Next month, Ryan Garcia will go toe-to-toe with Conor Benn in the first defence of his WBC welterweight title, and now former pound-for-pound king Terence Crawford has doubled down on his prediction for the clash.

Crawford hung up the gloves whilst recognised as the pound-for-pound number one in December, but that has not stopped ‘Bud’ from developing a heated rivalry with Garcia since his retirement, with the pair making regular jibes at one another in recent months.

Garcia has now revealed his intentions to tempt the undefeated southpaw out of retirement if he retains his title against Benn, but the Omaha-born sensation has declared his belief that Garcia will lose his belt to the Briton, favouring the challenger’s size and power.

Now, as fight week edges closer, Crawford has once again insisted that Benn will pull off the upset, as he told Fight Hub TV that he is picking ‘The Destroyer’ to come out on top.

“It’s going to be a good fight. I got Conor Benn!”

Benn will be competing at welterweight for the first time in nearly five years, looking to wrestle away the belt that Garcia won back in February with a win over Mario Barrios.

The event takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and on the undercard, Jai Opetaia is set to take on current WBC cruiserweight world champion Noel Mikaelian.

It currently remains to be seen whether the Armenian will still be the reigning titleholder when fight night comes around though, due to rumours that Mikaelian will be stripped for avoiding a fight with David Benavidez.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending