Boxing
How good Usyk is after his 5th round with Dubois and what next?
Published
1 year agoon
London – with his wonderful demolition of the 5th round of Daniel Dubois on Saturday, Oleksandr Usyk provided more convincing evidence why he should be considered the best ponderous weight than Lennox Lewis.
The left hook, which left Dubois (22-3, 21 KO) in a crushed pier before 90,000 at the Wembley stadium, was a handsome one that sealed Usyk’s second reign as the unquestioned heavyweight master. Usyk also dropped Dubois on canvas earlier in round 5 with his right hand in completely Ukrainian power.
As long as Usyk (24-0, 15 KO) does not lose the potential fight of the trilogy with Tyson Fury in April 2026, or the next defense of the title this year, probably against the former WBO title holder, Joseph Parker, the undisputed heavyweight king will fall in history as the best ponderous weight over the last two decades. Not only the fact that the utyk can also be considered the best cruiser’s weight for three decades, because in the mid -1980s they ruled Dwight Muhammad Qawi and Evander Holyfield.
Usyk was the first unquestioned weight champion in the circuitous weight and reigned a division in 2016–2018, and then approached heavyweight. He has now made five defense of heavyweight titles against opponents at the highest level – former masters and current masters.
Usyk’s achievements in ponderous weight exceeded what he managed in the circuitous weight, and defeated the best of his era (Fury, Dubois and Anthony Joshua) – twice – in order to present all doubts about who is the best. Dubois argued that he had gained a justified blow in his first meeting two years ago, but (rightly) ruled a low blow. Usyk overwhelmed a great blow, he touched the British the rest of the fight for the ninth round of TKO, and in the rematch he drew an even more pronounced conclusion.
Parker (36-3, 24 KO), 33, will defeat his friend Fury in Usyk, it seems that as a mandatory pretender WBO.
“WBO says that he must then fight with Joseph Parker, so it will be a fight,” said Frank Warren, promoter Queensberry Promotions.
It is arduous to predict how the reborn Parker, which is in the best form of his life, will threaten Usyk’s legacy.
Parker won the WBO belt with the decision of points on Andy Ruiz in 2016, and then lost him in the third struggle for the unification of defense and title compared to Anthony Joshua in March 2018. Impressive victories over Deontay Wilder, Zhilei Zhang and Martin Bakole over the past two years in the last two years.
Fury and Joshua, both two -time world champions, had good victories over Vladimir Klitschko, and Fury also stopped the threatening wild Wilder in the fight for the title of world champion.
But Usyk’s flawless record, with a total number of 13 wins in the fight against the world title, as well as the Golden Olympic medal in 2012, is better arranged. Rodnica Usyk Vitali and Vladimir Klitschko, with their better reach and height, could make it arduous to make it arduous.
The strategy of JAB-I-Grab in Vladimir was sometimes partyed during his nine and a half years of reign and could have frustrated Usyk to the point of failure. Vitali and Wladimir ruled between them the division of heavyweight, holding all the lanes at the same time, since 2004, when Vitali became a champion after his defeat at Lewis in 2003, when Fury spread from Vladimir in 2015.
Wladimir made a stunning 18 defense titles in the second reign as Unified World Champion (2006-2015), with his best victories over David Haye, Alexander Povetkin and Jean Mormeck. Vitali (45-2, 41 KO) made two defense of the WBO belt, against 10 defense over two gentlemen as a WBC master, which were interrupted by an injury, with destructive victories over Samuel Peter, Danny Williams and Herba Hide.
– Usyk breaks Dubois to become a heavyweight champion of unquestioning
– In the camp from Oleksandr Usyk: Behind the scenes with the heavyweight champion
– Fight results: Usyk stops Dubois, regains the unquestioned championship
The numbers of Brothers Kliczko are greater than those that have so far been developed by UYK (23-0, 14 KO), which created five defense of the title heavyweight and six defense of the title cruiser. But Usyk has better names on his album and is a three -time undisputed world champion.
Usyk became the first unquestioned world champion in heavyweight since Lewis (41-2, 32 KO), who defeated such fighters as Holyfield Holyfield, Mike Tyson and Klitschko over the Three Regions, with 17 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw in world fights for the title of ponderous.
Like Vitali, Wladimir and Lewis, Usyk began his professional career at the back of the Golden Medal of the Olympic triumph, and when he closes at the end of his career, regardless of whether it is still against Parker this year or next year against the cart, his heritage looks the most from every ponderous weight.
You may like
Boxing
Teofimo Lopez Challenges Fathers Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat
Published
5 hours agoon
August 18, 2026
Teofimo Lopez has criticised his father for showing a lack of competence during his unanimous decision defeat to Shakur Stevenson.
‘The Takeover’ was handily outboxed and dethroned by Stevenson in January, winning just one round as his opponent became a four-division world champion at 140lbs.
As a result, Lopez is now moving up to 147lbs in an attempt to reinvent himself and become a three-weight world champion against Rolando Romero.
But while he felt a change in weight was most certainly needed, the 29-year-old saw no reason to dismiss his father, Teofimo Sr, as his head coach.
This is in spite of the fact that Lopez Sr was heavily ridiculed for his efforts in the corner at Madison Square Garden, where Stevenson’s route to victory was only made clearer by his bizarre style of coaching.
Rather than offering his son any words of advice, he just simply pointed out his flaws and gave the defending champion no direction on how to improve.
Lopez therefore confronted his father while speaking with Ring Magazinealbeit with no threats of employing a different trainer.
“Every son wants to make their father proud. When you got your father in that moment – when you’re bleeding; when they’re allowing Shakur to do all these extra things … and your trainer is not going you instructions – they’re just talking you down: ‘Where’s your power? Where’s this? You’re gonna hate yourself’ – all roads lead to [defeat].”
As he takes on WBA champion Romero at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena on Saturday, it should be interesting to see how Lopez’s corner shapes up between rounds.
In any event, the American will be under a fair amount of pressure to produce an improved performance.
Boxing
Ryan Garcia Responds to Conor Benns Weight Concerns Ahead of Upcoming Fight
Published
17 hours agoon
August 18, 2026
Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn are scheduled to square off next month, and ‘King Ry’ has reacted to news that this will be the Briton’s final bout at welterweight, following a difficult weight cut.
Benn has not fought at 147lbs since a knockout victory over Chris van Heerden back in April 2022, but he was installed as the WBC’s mandatory challenger for the welterweight division earlier this year, after revealing his intentions of returning to the weight.
Reality seems to have hit home for ‘The Destroyer’ during this camp though, as he has already announced that this will be his last contest in the division following a brutal weight cutregardless of the outcome, signalling that he has outgrown the weight.
In a clip captured by Ring MagazineGarcia responded to Benn’s announcement and declared that his upcoming opponent is already making excuses ahead of their meeting.
“We know you can’t make weight. This is why Conor Benn said this is his last time at 147lbs. My guy is making excuses before he loses, who says that, ‘this is my last fight at 147’.
“My guy, you gonna go backwards just to get that a** whooped? Oh my gosh, bro. It’s fine, bro, he is just going to run into it. F**k that dude.”
Garcia-Benn takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, with Zuffa Boxing cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia poised to take on current WBC cruiserweight titleholder Noel Mikaelian – although he may no longer be champion come fight week.
Boxing
Terence Crawford Confirms Ryan Garcia Will Defeat Conor Benn: I Got Him | Boxing News
Published
2 days agoon
August 17, 2026
Next month, Ryan Garcia will go toe-to-toe with Conor Benn in the first defence of his WBC welterweight title, and now former pound-for-pound king Terence Crawford has doubled down on his prediction for the clash.
Crawford hung up the gloves whilst recognised as the pound-for-pound number one in December, but that has not stopped ‘Bud’ from developing a heated rivalry with Garcia since his retirement, with the pair making regular jibes at one another in recent months.
Garcia has now revealed his intentions to tempt the undefeated southpaw out of retirement if he retains his title against Benn, but the Omaha-born sensation has declared his belief that Garcia will lose his belt to the Briton, favouring the challenger’s size and power.
Now, as fight week edges closer, Crawford has once again insisted that Benn will pull off the upset, as he told Fight Hub TV that he is picking ‘The Destroyer’ to come out on top.
“It’s going to be a good fight. I got Conor Benn!”
Benn will be competing at welterweight for the first time in nearly five years, looking to wrestle away the belt that Garcia won back in February with a win over Mario Barrios.
The event takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and on the undercard, Jai Opetaia is set to take on current WBC cruiserweight world champion Noel Mikaelian.
It currently remains to be seen whether the Armenian will still be the reigning titleholder when fight night comes around though, due to rumours that Mikaelian will be stripped for avoiding a fight with David Benavidez.
Teofimo Lopez Challenges Fathers Corner Decisions After Shakur Stevenson Defeat
DWCS Week 2 official after all 10 fighters make weight
VIDEO | Islam Makhachev shares heartwarming message with cancer patient after UFC 330: 'Never give up!'
Trending
-
MMA2 days agoDin Thomas retires from cornering after Gillian Robertson’s UFC 330 loss
-
MMA2 days agoIan Machado Garry sends defiant message after Islam Makhachev defeat
-
MMA2 days agoCharles Johnson’s wild UFC 330 submission was no fluke: ‘Once or twice a week’
-
MMA2 days agoChidi Njokuani explains bizarre UFC 330 weigh-in mix-up
-
MMA2 days agoLucas Fernando nearly quit MMA before breakthrough UFC 330 victory
-
MMA2 days agoNeil Magny closes in on Jim Miller’s all-time UFC wins record
-
MMA2 days agoIan Garry confronts Michael Morales at UFC 330: ‘Make sure you back it up’
-
MMA2 days agoIslam Makhachev breaks down Ian Garry’s tricky UFC 330 strategy


