The unified heavyweight champion, Oleksandr Usyk, rejects the narrative that he is vintage, enters the rematch with IBF champion Daniel Dubois on Saturday, July 19. Usyk (23-0, 14 KO) says that he feels “23” and thinks that he will show it, potentially throwing Dubois (22-2, 21 KO) in their headliner at Dazn PPV at the Wembley stadium in London.
Usyk is 38 years vintage and says that two fights remained in his career. One of them can be against Tyson Fury if he wants to fight him seriously in 2026.
Usyk feels juvenile vs. dubois
“I feel 23 or 24,” said Oleksandr Usyk Queensberry When asked about his gray hair before fighting Daniel Dubois on Saturday.
It would be a mistake when Dubois would assume that 38-year-old Uyk became day by day since the victory over Tyson Fury in December last year. It was only over six months ago, and Usyk looks the same as then.
Dubois is not as elevated or as qualified as fury. It can be an easier fight for Usyk, which is doing well against vast punchers.
“Maybe because he is the world champion,” said Usyk about whether he thinks that Dubois has changed since he fought him in 2023. “Daniel grew up. He won the last three fights. Daniel is a little different in this fight.”
Dubois could gain greater confidence since the fight against Utyk, but in terms of style he is the same warrior. Daniel crossed the mini-Gauntlet against Anthony Joshua, Filip Hrgovic and Jarrell Miller. It is surprising that Joshua was the easiest of all three. But even in this fight Dubois was wounded, fortunately, Joshua became reckless in fifth place.
Usyk: The unquestionable title matters
“It doesn’t matter to me. Daniel has IBF. It’s enough,” said Usyk asked if he thinks Dubois as a real master because he was raised and he didn’t win. “It will be the undisputed fight for four lanes. Only for me.”
Usyk does not care about how Dubois won the title of IBF. He just wants to win a belt from him so that he can become the undisputed champion again. It would probably be sweeter if Anthony Joshua or the highly excited Moses Itauma was holding the IBF belt because it is greater interest in the fight. Usyk would gain more from defeating them than Dubois, which has a reputation of resignation.
Teofimo Lopez has criticised his father for showing a lack of competence during his unanimous decision defeat to Shakur Stevenson.
‘The Takeover’ was handily outboxed and dethroned by Stevenson in January, winning just one round as his opponent became a four-division world champion at 140lbs.
As a result, Lopez is now moving up to 147lbs in an attempt to reinvent himself and become a three-weight world champion against Rolando Romero.
But while he felt a change in weight was most certainly needed, the 29-year-old saw no reason to dismiss his father, Teofimo Sr, as his head coach.
This is in spite of the fact that Lopez Sr was heavily ridiculed for his efforts in the corner at Madison Square Garden, where Stevenson’s route to victory was only made clearer by his bizarre style of coaching.
Rather than offering his son any words of advice, he just simply pointed out his flaws and gave the defending champion no direction on how to improve.
Lopez therefore confronted his father while speaking with Ring Magazinealbeit with no threats of employing a different trainer.
“Every son wants to make their father proud. When you got your father in that moment – when you’re bleeding; when they’re allowing Shakur to do all these extra things … and your trainer is not going you instructions – they’re just talking you down: ‘Where’s your power? Where’s this? You’re gonna hate yourself’ – all roads lead to [defeat].”
As he takes on WBA champion Romero at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena on Saturday, it should be interesting to see how Lopez’s corner shapes up between rounds.
In any event, the American will be under a fair amount of pressure to produce an improved performance.
Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn are scheduled to square off next month, and ‘King Ry’ has reacted to news that this will be the Briton’s final bout at welterweight, following a difficult weight cut.
Benn has not fought at 147lbs since a knockout victory over Chris van Heerden back in April 2022, but he was installed as the WBC’s mandatory challenger for the welterweight division earlier this year, after revealing his intentions of returning to the weight.
Reality seems to have hit home for ‘The Destroyer’ during this camp though, as he has already announced that this will be his last contest in the division following a brutal weight cutregardless of the outcome, signalling that he has outgrown the weight.
In a clip captured by Ring MagazineGarcia responded to Benn’s announcement and declared that his upcoming opponent is already making excuses ahead of their meeting.
“We know you can’t make weight. This is why Conor Benn said this is his last time at 147lbs. My guy is making excuses before he loses, who says that, ‘this is my last fight at 147’.
“My guy, you gonna go backwards just to get that a** whooped? Oh my gosh, bro. It’s fine, bro, he is just going to run into it. F**k that dude.”
Garcia-Benn takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, with Zuffa Boxing cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia poised to take on current WBC cruiserweight titleholder Noel Mikaelian – although he may no longer be champion come fight week.
Next month, Ryan Garcia will go toe-to-toe with Conor Benn in the first defence of his WBC welterweight title, and now former pound-for-pound king Terence Crawford has doubled down on his prediction for the clash.
Crawford hung up the gloves whilst recognised as the pound-for-pound number one in December, but that has not stopped ‘Bud’ from developing a heated rivalry with Garcia since his retirement, with the pair making regular jibes at one another in recent months.
Garcia has now revealed his intentions to tempt the undefeated southpaw out of retirement if he retains his title against Benn, but the Omaha-born sensation has declared his belief that Garcia will lose his belt to the Briton, favouring the challenger’s size and power.
Now, as fight week edges closer, Crawford has once again insisted that Benn will pull off the upset, as he told Fight Hub TV that he is picking ‘The Destroyer’ to come out on top.
“It’s going to be a good fight. I got Conor Benn!”
Benn will be competing at welterweight for the first time in nearly five years, looking to wrestle away the belt that Garcia won back in February with a win over Mario Barrios.
The event takes place on Saturday, September 12, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and on the undercard, Jai Opetaia is set to take on current WBC cruiserweight world champion Noel Mikaelian.
It currently remains to be seen whether the Armenian will still be the reigning titleholder when fight night comes around though, due to rumours that Mikaelian will be stripped for avoiding a fight with David Benavidez.