Connect with us

Boxing

Muhammad Ali’s grandson begins an alliance to keep the Ali Act intact

Published

on

Nico Ali Walsh, grandson of the tardy Muhammad Ali, announced Thursday that he has formed an alliance with several key members of the boxing community to preserve the current version of the Muhammad Ali American Boxing Reform Act.

The group – known as the Ali Act Preservation Alliance – was formed in response to TKO Group’s efforts to pass the Muhammad Ali American Boxing Revival Act. The bill recently cleared major landmarks after the House of Representatives passed it on a voice vote in March and now heads to the Senate.

“The Alliance exists for one purpose only: to protect the best interests of fighters who risk everything in the ring, fighting for a chance at a better life for themselves and their families,” reads a press release from The Alliance.

The alliance seeks to ensure there is no monopoly in boxing, considers the proposed law “anti-worker” and opposes the creation of Unified Boxing Organizations (UBO), “which has its own rankings, matchmaking and awards its own championship belts, while being a promoter controlling all aspects of the business.”

Zuffa Boxing would be a major beneficiary of the passage of the bill, which would allow the fledgling boxing promotion to operate in a similar fashion to the UFC with its own world titles, weight classes and rankings.

“The Ali Act Preservation Alliance believes it speaks on behalf of the stakeholders of boxing and all combat sports in calling on the United States Senate to reject the so-called ‘Boxing Rebirth Act’ and see it for what it is: a unsafe and unjust exception to the law that protects fighters, and named after boxing’s greatest hero, Muhammad Ali, who fought in sports and throughout society for justice and civil rights,” the alliance said in a statement.

The group includes 25-year-old Walsh, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman and retired mixed martial arts fighter Carlos Newton.

“If we can’t stop it, we have to at least educate people about what’s going on,” Walsh told ESPN on Friday. “They kept telling everyone that they are not changing a single word of the current Ali Act and that they are supplementing it. But if you add to something, you are actually changing it.

“If people at least know what their true intentions are, they will be able to fight back.”

Walsh, who serves as AAPA’s president and spokesman, said he plans to travel to Washington with De La Hoya in the coming weeks to speak on the Senate floor and make his case for why the Renaissance Act should not be passed.

The grandson of Muhammad Ali is an busy boxer (13-2-1, 5 KOs) with a bachelor’s degree in business and entrepreneurship from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and believes that the TKO Group’s goal is not to present itself as an alternative to boxers, but to monopolize the industry like the UFC does for mixed martial arts.

“People don’t understand what this bill is,” Walsh said. “They won’t say their real intention is to monopolize the sport, but if they control matchmaking, contracts, rankings and world titles, that will be the beginning of a monopoly. It won’t happen immediately, but in ten years everything could change.”

“It’s a bait-and-switch tactic. They say boxers have a choice, but ultimately they won’t have one, and we want to stop that.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Terence Crawford gives novel verdict on Canelo’s comeback fight against Mbilla: ‘He wants to prove himself’

Published

on

Terence Crawford delivers new verdict on Canelo comeback fight against Mbilli: “He wants to prove himself”

Terence Crawford shared his truthful thoughts on Canelo Alvarez’s fight with Christian Mbilli and wanted to see his former opponent come to his senses after their clash.

The couple had a quarrel in September last year Crawford declares victory by unanimous decision and cementing his greatness as the undisputed three-division champion.

Despite moving up two weight classes, “Bud” seemed content with the size difference compared to Canelo, who was ultimately vacated from his four super middleweight world titles.

However, in his next fight, Alvarez will be looking to reclaim one of the belts against Mbilla, who was elevated from “interim” to full WBC champion following Crawford’s retirement.

The Frenchman defended his “interim” title thanks to Canelo-Crawford’s indigent card, following a 10-round draw with undefeated rival Lester Martinez.

Known for his thunderous style, Mbilli is a solid opponent for Alvarez, who will face the 31-year-old on September 12 in Riyad, Saudi Arabia.

Given his achievements, the 35-year-old could have easily retired after the loss to Crawford, which meant time for an illustrious professional career that began in 2005.

But Crawford said DAZN Boxing that he understands the Mexican’s desire to get at least one more victory before finally calling it quits.

“I think it will be a great fight. Mbilli is putting a lot of pressure on himself. Canelo – we’ll see what form he comes in.

“Canelo is an all-time great fighter and I can’t wait to see him return to form [from the Crawford defeat].

“Knowing Canelo, he doesn’t want to end his career with a defeat. So I see Canelo wants to come back and prove his worth.”

A victory over Mbilli will certainly open further doors for Alvarez, who may even look to unify the 168-pound division by once again facing the winner of the Hamzah Sheeraz vs. Al Begic fight on next Saturday’s Oleksandr Usyk vs. Rico Verhoeven fight card.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Terence Crawford defeats Jai Opetaia in Egypt

Published

on

Image: Terence Crawford Overpowers Jai Opetaia In Egypt Clip

The video of him lifting Opetaia on the sand is pure gold for his image. Opetaia is a powerful cruiserweight, so seeing Crawford pick him up like a sack of potatoes shows that the ancient wrestling and incredible functional strength are still there. This gets people talking about how perilous he still is.

Crawford says he’s had enough, and maybe he really is. He has already dropped Jaron Ennis, which makes sense because he has nothing to prove against younger players. But while remaining close to Turki Alalshikh and these massive international events, he does not leave the door open. If a huge, ridiculously lucrative opportunity ever comes along that really interests him, it never really leaves the public eye. Just making sure that if he ever decides to accept the offer, the price remains astronomical.

This is the ultimate masterclass in staying relevant without risking anything. Crawford knows exactly how this industry works. If a retired fighter stays at home, the audience moves on to the next substantial thing within a few months, but when you fly to Egypt and find yourself in the middle of a massive season production in Riyad, you completely control the narrative.

Think about the calculations here. Crawford avoids juvenile, hungry challengers like Jaron Ennis who want to operate his legacy as a springboard, and yet he ensures he’s the most talked about guy on the sand, lifting an elite cruiserweight like Opetaia. It sends a noisy and clear signal to promoters and networks that Crawford remains a major physical force and box office attraction.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with heavyweights, Terence keeps his wrestling at the highest level. He sets himself up so that if he ever decides to lace up the gloves again, he won’t come back just for a standard payday loan.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Rolly Romero sees only one winner in Ryan Garcia vs. Conor Benn fight: ‘His jaw dislocated’

Published

on

Rolly Romero sees only one winner in Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn: “Dislocate his jaw”

Rolando Romero has described half of a potential fight between Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn as “free meat”, believing he is at risk of a dislocated jaw.

“Rolly” defeated Garcia by a vast margin in May 2025, when a second-round knockdown contributed to his convincing unanimous decision victory.

Previously, ‘King Ry’ received a one-year ban after testing positive for ostarine, a banned substance, following an April 2024 meeting with Devin Haney.

However, despite his majority victory also being declared a nocontest, Garcia was presented with a world opportunity in February.

This resulted in a unanimous victory for the 27-year-old, who defeated Mario Barrios in the first round and won the WBC belt.

Since then, “King Ry” has been heavily linked to defending his welterweight title against Benn, who scored a points victory over Regis Prograis last month.

Despite defeating the retired Prograis at 150 pounds and not fighting at 147 pounds since 2022, “The Destroyer” is a top contender for the WBC welterweight title.

According to A Professional boxing fans However, when interviewing WBA welterweight champion Romero, Benn should not be mentioned in the same conversation as Garcia.

“Do I believe that Ryan Garcia really wants to fight Conor Benn and dislocate his jaw because Conor Benn is the easiest [opponent] in boxing? Yes. Everyone would take free meat.

Benn has previously failed two doping tests, as has Garcia, but is still scheduled to face the WBC champion on September 12.

“King Ry” revealed the news on The Jimmy Fallon Show earlier this weektelling the talk show host that their match would take place in Las Vegas.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending